What the "Dow" is happening?

morekaos said:
Good enough reason for a pullback.  300 points above  first support still...no biggie.

It might go lower tomorrow. The justice department appoints special counsel ex FBI director to lead the investigation.

I know people freak out about big round numbers like 300 points, but with the Dow at 21,000, frankly anything less than 400 points is just daily noise, anything less than 200 points isn't even noise.

These down days are kind of a relief actually, it?s like when you?ve been anticipating something for so long (even if it?s bad) you just want it to happen already to get it over with. 

At this point I don?t mind a 20% drop over the next few months.  I?ll pick up more shares and ride the wave the rest of the year.

fortune11 said:
anyone sick  of  " winning  " yet  ....

No rain no flowers.

If you didn't have some cash ready to buy more when (and I mean when not if) the market was lower you were a fool.

I remember 1987. We didn't even have all our kids yet. My hubby took my day to work at the tot lot co-op pre-school so I could stay home with a newborn and when he came home I said the market is down a lot (something like 25%) and no one really knew how low it was because the machines couldn't keep up. At that time we had KWHY channel 22 which was business in ENGLISH, much better than CNBC and the tickers were delayed even on the best day.

I told my hubby we should go to Fidelity (there was no online trading then) and put money in so we can buy the close (we only had mutual funds) and he told me I was literally crazy. Assured me we lost everything and a huge depression was coming.

Well what could I say? He was the one with the MBA and the great depression to back him up.

How I wish I had driven myself and they baby to Fidelity and gave them a check that day.

Down 1000 points as I type, haven't seems something like this for a while.  I've feeling the fun just started.

I'm going to hold for now but starting to buy more once this free fall settle down a little in the coming days or weeks.

Ready2Downsize said:
fortune11 said:

No rain no flowers.

If you didn't have some cash ready to buy more when (and I mean when not if) the market was lower you were a fool.

No need to get so defensive : )

Someone asked for investment advice on this board 3-4 weeks ago and I suggested -- don't chase the market , sit tight / be defensive as opposed to the rah-rah trump tax cuts bullishness which was largely priced in     

Still stand by it ...The CTA and quant selling is not done yet ... VIX has doubled ... That being said, long term directionality of the market is still up, but ENTRY POINTS MATTER

Anyways these "seeds and flowers and rain " imagery is used by some of the  financial advisors to assuage their client base if they are angry about a sudden drop in their portfolio

market is still up a lot - so this is only giving back modestly .. what takes people by shock is the speed of the carnage

fortune11 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
fortune11 said:

No rain no flowers.

Someone asked for investment advice on this board 3-4 weeks ago and I suggested -- don't chase the market , sit tight / be defensive as opposed to the rah-rah trump tax cuts bullishness which was largely priced in     

Still stand by it ...The CTA and quant selling is not done yet ... VIX has doubled ... That being said, long term directionality of the market is still up, but ENTRY POINTS MATTER

Anyways these "seeds and flowers and rain " imagery is used by some of the  financial advisors to assuage their client base if they are angry about a sudden drop in their portfolio

market is still up a lot - so this is only giving back modestly .. what takes people by shock is the speed of the carnage

Not defensive. Just noting this one day drop is only a real issue to those on margin and they are the ones who tend to freak.

Btw........ markets don't crash from all time highs. Not how it works.

Ready2Downsize said:
fortune11 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
fortune11 said:

No rain no flowers.

Not defensive. Just noting this one day drop is only a real issue to those on margin and they are the ones who tend to freak.

Btw........ markets don't crash from all time highs. Not how it works.

And to another point.............................. housing could fall too much to the dismay of anyone who thinks it can't.

connecting this equity selloff to housing is a real stretch

Remember my point from before about high velocity ? This is what we are seeing now in equities .

Think of it this way ? imagine you are heating  a
Pan on a flame . Equities are like the base of the pan , directly in contact w the flame , While housing is like the handle ? far away but eventually gets warm if pan continues to be in contact w the flame .

My point 3 weeks ago was  ? it is well and good to say ? buy the dip ?.  But with what ?  You can buy it only if you weren?t all in to begin with . This is what i meant by staying on the sidelines . Those who weren?t dismissive and Weren?t drinking the trump koolaid probably came out ahead .

That being said , I don?t mix my money and politics . I am looking to buy in non US equity markets as when we see more contagion from the US spill over there .

US also  I think market is eventually headed higher but will wait to see how the  volatility seller crowd reacts next few days ? they are getting their clock cleaned right now

Expect another few days of carnage. Future Dow for Tuesday is already 800 + points lost for tomorrow. Real wealth is being made for someone, somewhere else while my 401k tanking in just two days.

Buy on the dip , sure if I have the money. Right now most are in neck deep with the illusion of Trump talk about how well the market is doing and even the nonbeliever in Trump believe that he is the Messiah ?Make America Great Again? and give it all she got.

Compressed-Village said:
Expect another few days of carnage. Future Dow for Tuesday is already 800 + points lost for tomorrow. Real wealth is being made for someone, somewhere else while my 401k tanking in just two days.

Buy on the dip , sure if I have the money. Right now most are in neck deep with the illusion of Trump talk about how well the market is doing and even the nonbeliever in Trump believe that he is the Messiah ?Make America Great Again? and give it all she got.

What - you aren't happy with your extra $1.50 per week  ?  Pays for your Costco annual dues :)

Back