What the "Dow" is happening?

Compressed-Village said:
Expect another few days of carnage. Future Dow for Tuesday is already 800 + points lost for tomorrow. Real wealth is being made for someone, somewhere else while my 401k tanking in just two days.

Buy on the dip , sure if I have the money. Right now most are in neck deep with the illusion of Trump talk about how well the market is doing and even the nonbeliever in Trump believe that he is the Messiah ?Make America Great Again? and give it all she got.
https://youtu.be/tzXqjQt5gT4

All the talking heads on CNBC are saying don?t panic, don?t sell, stay the course.  This of course means we?re in for a much bigger drop.  Once they start saying people should take money off the table, readjust allocation, sell most of their equities, only then will we be headed back up. 

I know with  all the breathless TV reporting about drops people are concerned about this but I have a simp!e (sheesh i want to shut shot shit can this autocorrect) just question.

Did businesses (so tired of Silk) any of the trading curbs trigger for the broadcasters (ditto) markets not including individual stock circuit breakers?

The media and babbling heads still seem to act like the DOW is sub 10,000 and not 25,000.

Kings said:
So glad that Obama took back the economy today and put us back on track!

#thankful

What happened today ?  You guys got bored of Obama so soon and put trump back in charge ? :)

See how silly this is ?  hitching yourself to a bull market (supposedly) 9 years in the making ...

fortune11 said:
Kings said:
So glad that Obama took back the economy today and put us back on track!

#thankful

What happened today ?  You guys got bored of Obama so soon and put trump back in charge ? :)

See how silly this is ?  hitching yourself to a bull market (supposedly) 9 years in the making ...

Fear not, the Trump Rally is more than intact, its stronger.  A pullback from the highs was not only desirable but necessary.  The decks are being cleared for higher highs.  Stay invested my friend, this market will be higher by the end of this year.

The point I am making is --- there is no "Trump  rally or " Obama rally "  . Presidents don't have much long term impact on the stock market .  It is the business cycle and financial conditions

I know many rich people think they know otherwise (because they are rich , they think they must be smart)  but there  are  forces way behind the presidents control shaping up the global economy . 

this rally has legs because it is being supported by Emerging Markets  and Europe which is where companies in the S&P500 derive big chunk of their revenue  .  They are finally coming out of years and years of weak growth and recessions .  Add to that  $ weak = MORE revenue from abroad, also good for oil prices , good for Emerging Market currencies .  The tax cuts added fuel to the already burning fire. 

And while we are at it, someone please change the title of this thread :) The Dow is as irrelevant an index as CDs or DVD players .  It is a meaningless index used by the dumb mainstream financial media (and also that boomers love it) .

fortune11 said:
The point I am making is --- there is no "Trump  rally or " Obama rally "  . Presidents don't have much long term impact on the stock market .  It is the business cycle and financial conditions

I know many rich people think they know otherwise (because they are rich , they think they must be smart)  but there  are  forces way behind the presidents control shaping up the global economy . 

this rally has legs because it is being supported by Emerging Markets  and Europe which is where companies in the S&P500 derive big chunk of their revenue  .  They are finally coming out of years and years of weak growth and recessions .  Add to that  $ weak = MORE revenue from abroad, also good for oil prices , good for Emerging Market currencies .  The tax cuts added fuel to the already burning fire. 

And while we are at it, someone please change the title of this thread :) The Dow is as irrelevant an index as CDs or DVD players .  It is a meaningless index used by the dumb mainstream financial media (and also that boomers love it) .

Agreed but imposing a huge tax hike at the end of a boom cycle is a recipe for inflationary disaster.  USD plummeting in value and the economy is on the verge of overheating. 

But yeah...rich people have more money!

I think this bares repeating.

morekaos said:
from my January letter...

So what lies ahead?  As I told many of you during the year. Presidents inherit the business cycle they inherit.  If there is recession he gets the blame. If expansion he tries to take credit.  This market was going to rise no matter who won. The influence of an executive policy comes in the form of magnitude.  He can throw water on it and slow it down, or gas on it and increase the reaction.  This President is throwing gas in the form of lower taxes and regulations.  I feel this is net positive for our markets this year and they will again advance.  Interest rates will rise at a faster pace than most think but fear not,  that is a good thing overall.  Normalized rates are a sign of a healthy economy.  I?m off the precious metals positions and I feel energy will find stability here.  This year will only strengthen domestically and I still shy from foreign investments. Keep it here in dollars and the good old US of A.  Most surprises this year may be on the positive side. Again, I caveat this letter that our direction can be altered by any number of unexpected events (major terrorist strike) but all things being equal I think we are in for a well-deserved run.  What makes me so optimistic?  Most of you know what a contrarian I am and look at the mood of most on Wall Street..

morekaos said:
I think this bares repeating.

morekaos said:
from my January letter...

So what lies ahead?  As I told many of you during the year. Presidents inherit the business cycle they inherit.  If there is recession he gets the blame. If expansion he tries to take credit.  This market was going to rise no matter who won. The influence of an executive policy comes in the form of magnitude.  He can throw water on it and slow it down, or gas on it and increase the reaction.  This President is throwing gas in the form of lower taxes and regulations.  I feel this is net positive for our markets this year and they will again advance.  Interest rates will rise at a faster pace than most think but fear not,  that is a good thing overall.  Normalized rates are a sign of a healthy economy.  I?m off the precious metals positions and I feel energy will find stability here.  This year will only strengthen domestically and I still shy from foreign investments. Keep it here in dollars and the good old US of A.  Most surprises this year may be on the positive side. Again, I caveat this letter that our direction can be altered by any number of unexpected events (major terrorist strike) but all things being equal I think we are in for a well-deserved run.  What makes me so optimistic?  Most of you know what a contrarian I am and look at the mood of most on Wall Street..

I am with you on that contrary to Wall Street approach

The best thing investors can do for themselves is not pay attention to the talking  heads and look at the fundamentals themselves , or if they cannot , stick w disciplined heuristic approach ? I. E  . Investment horizons and entry points matter.

Never let your money mix w your politics

fortune11 said:

Well, I still use CD's and DVD's and I still like tracking the Dow.  Although when tracking my own performance, I measure against the S&P.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

Well, I still use CD's and DVD's and I still like tracking the Dow.  Although when tracking my own performance, I measure against the S&P.

We already had this argument a year ago on the other Dow thread...

morekaos said:
Well, the general public (and the news) still watches this index and if you want to use something more accurate watch the S&P.  That index is up 5.58% this year and the Dow is up 5.29% so far, so in actuality they are pretty close in telling us what the markets are up to so far this year.

eyephone said:
I would stay away.

Yes , agree in general .  I have stayed away this year (took my equities down around Halloween last year )  . Missed some of the upside since then but that?s ok after multiple years of appreciation .

But , if you were interested in adding risk here , would seriously start looking at individual stocks or ETFs that have gotten dislocated w the Vix bloodbath . Economic conditions are still favorable overall , trump or no trump .

morekaos said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

We already had this argument a year ago on the other Dow thread...

morekaos said:
Well, the general public (and the news) still watches this index and if you want to use something more accurate watch the S&P.  That index is up 5.58% this year and the Dow is up 5.29% so far, so in actuality they are pretty close in telling us what the markets are up to so far this year.

The truth is there's no such thing as a perfect index.  The S&P is notorious for adding companies just before they implode.  This has been a drag on index performance several times over the years.  The reason is that whatever hot sector has been leading the economy tends to get overrepresented in the index, and then that same sector tends to get hit hardest by the subsequent recession.

Also, it has been shown that an equal weight S&P fund does better than following the cap-weighted index methodology.

Who's in???!

u37KvJv.png

https://www.predictit.org/

S&P back to my Halloween sale levels !

But seriously , I am now adding some risk here .

Any single stock or ETF recos ? High conviction views  ?  Besides being long Irvine in general :)

Back