What the "Dow" is happening?

fortune11 said:
S&P back to my Halloween sale levels !

But seriously , I am now adding some risk here .

Any single stock or ETF recos ? High conviction views  ?  Besides being long Irvine in general :)

One of the most manipulated stocks out there is apple. OI is considerably higher so if it drops again tomorrow I think it closes higher than today (maybe as high as 160). Maybe good for a 5% intraday move if it hits 152.

picked up some AAPL, AMLP ETF, SDY earlier today.  Will look to add others next week, particularly some EM related ETFs ...

Art Cashin  is worthless ... but there is an interesting counterpoint from Tom Aspray , one of the better chartists out there.  This article does get into the nitty gritty of moving averages etc., but worth a read if so inclined.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomasp...treet-strategists-finally-right/#36a721f62dca

Are the Wall Street Strategists Finally Right?

Tom Aspray , CONTRIBUTOR

As stocks plunged all week, there seemed to be little concern on Wall Street, as almost all of the experts on financial television felt it would be a buying opportunity. There was a little more concern when the S&P 500 reached its 200-day MA on Friday, but still they were bit turning bearish. Historically, Wall Street strategists have not been bullish at correction lows, but does the technical outlook suggest that they're right this time?

The steep decline in January and February of 2016 had convinced many that the market had started a new bear market. In ?Don?t Follow Those Bearish Traders?, I commented that ?The high level of bearish sentiment and heavy put buying at the February 11th low coincided with the bullish signals from the market internals.? This created the perfect environment for a market bottom.?

The fact that most on Wall Street did not believe the rally and were looking to sell higher did not alter my outlook, in fact, it was reassuring. There have been a number of sharp corrections in this bull market. These corrections ended when the technical studies gave positive signals, but these signals were often accompanied by dire predictions from most Wall Street analysts.

Thanks fortune, it was a good read... I think this part sounds about right...

?The more likely alternative, however, is for a more complex correction, where the averages rebound enough to calm the markets, and then we get one more drop before the bottom is complete and the uptrend resumes.?

Should be an interesting week none the less.  Futures up about 140 as I type, but could just as easy be down 500 at market open.

No problem .

For color , I am also adding to some emerging market ETFs today  . That?s classic ?baby w bath water? type trade.  EM fundamentals are still pretty solid and better than the more mature economic cycle in the US .

Near term trajectory is now more visible . Risk on

For those looking for income , some of the closed end funds and junk bond funds also seem decent

Economy is on a good path , and that means bottom won?t fall off any time soon , technicals are what I was worried about . Less so now .

The price action today was as clear a signal as we could get -- we surpassed the 50-day moving average (DMA)  on S&P

So what does this show --

market is very healthy -- a technical selloff initiated by quants , got digested and then fundamentals stepped in and we bounced off 200 DMA on the lows and now back to crossing 50 DMA

this is a textbook case on charting if anyone needed one. 

We are back to the 200 day-moving-average danger zone for S&P.  If we bounce off here , fine.  If not,  will be a break in the trend line  and more pain ahead ...

Trump really knows how to kill the golden goose ... the idiot just cant sit still for a change.

fortune11 said:
We are back to the 200 day-moving-average danger zone for S&P.  If we bounce off here , fine.  If not,  will be a break in the trend line  and more pain ahead ...

Trump really knows how to kill the golden goose ... the idiot just cant sit still for a change.

There would not have been a golden goose without Trump.  The S&P has returned 20%+ and the Dow 30%+ since election day.  Enjoy your gains and stop the whining.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

There would not have been a golden goose without Trump.  The S&P has returned 20%+ and the Dow 30%+ since election day.  Enjoy your gains and stop the whining.

Did you enjoy your (even bigger) gains under Obama ? Yeah right

Did you enjoy even bigger gains in Brazil or other emerging markets where trump is not even in charge ?

Stop ranting if you don?t have anything useful to add besides knee jerk adulation for your messiah .

Just stick w what you know and go back to complaining about the other side ...

fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

Did you enjoy even bigger gains in Brazil or other emerging markets where trump is not even in charge ?

Stop ranting if you don?t have anything useful to add besides knee jerk adulation for your messiah .

Sure, I bought my primary residence in 2010 and stayed invested in stocks for most of Oh Bummer's presidency.  I also bought two rental duplexes.

I rarely complain about "the other side".  Whenever I have criticized Obama, it has been to criticize his policies with specific reasons given why I disagree with them.

You and your cheerleader should take that approach.  Stop making unfair attacks (like worrying about a one day drop in stock prices) and form thoughtful arguments that add to the debate.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

Sure, I bought my primary residence in 2010 and stayed invested in stocks for most of Oh Bummer's presidency.  I also bought two rental duplexes.

I rarely complain about "the other side".  Whenever I have criticized Obama, it has been to criticize his policies with specific reasons given why I disagree with them.

You and your cheerleader should take that approach.  Stop making unfair attacks (like worrying about a one day drop in stock prices) and form thoughtful arguments that add to the debate.

Do you know why the equity market is dropping ? Why don?t you add some thoughtful comments to enlighten us rather than sniping every time to get your jollies .

Market is correctly concerned about increased trade war risk and increased geopolitical risk . Given our large deficits which are about to balloon even more , we need the global consumer now more than ever to buy our stuff . And to continue buying our debt. Pissing contest with the entire world and specially with China that holds 1.5 trn of our debt is not exactly a genius move , if anyone can see  beyond their partisan  blinders

This was supposed to be the breakout year for global growth especially after the tax cut and stimulus gasoline that was thrown on top of the fire . Now the nitwit is throwing cold water to undo it .  Kudlow must be tearing his few remaining hair out .

In my opinion, the only sector I see an upside is oil. (And that?s a stretch)
Because of the adminstration policies and his recent cabinet appointments.

What do you think?

eyephone said:
In my opinion, the only sector I see an upside is oil. (And that?s a stretch)
Because of the adminstration policies and his recent cabinet appointments.

What do you think?

Oil has really high speculative interest right now or ?spec length? (for all zero hedge readers out there). So can also flip on a dime if speculators head for exit all at the same time . But agree w your basic premise ? with Bolton s appointment geopolitical risk is high (esp wrt Iran) and oil can hang in here for atleast a while .

Little long post but need to set the table straight here when there is so much misinformation floating around on this subject supposedly from people who should know better.

Over the long long run, stock markets have to go up - why ? 

Inflation
population growth
productivity growth (right now, this part is low)

It is just mathematical -- doesn't matter who is president or what policies are being implemented - now the rate of change can be fast or slow depending on what part of the cycle we are in. 

Now try telling that to somebody who invested money in Nasdaq QQQ in March 2000 but couldn't recover it until 2016 -- now if that person needed any of this money for say a medical emergency, he or she is SOL

So entry and exit points matter -- doesn't take a genius to figure that out

Financial advisors who tell their clients just to buy and forever are doing their clients great disservice.  They are also proven right over long periods of time - doesn't mean they are smarter than others - just that this math works in favor of stocks over that long period.  You dont need to pay a financial advisor to tell you that simple fact.

Now could someone have earned income using bonds (whatever variety) and which would have perhaps been safer ? Yes and this is why stocks need to have a risk premium over bonds  -- stocks don't just  need to return positive upside but they need to beat bonds by a wide margin to really make it worth their while

and to get their meaningful upside, it helps to be a bit more nimble with your money

Dont believe the adage that you cannot ever time the market - thats a lazy answer from someone who doesn't want to put in the effort

What you cannot do (or cant repeatedly do) is perfectly time the top or the bottom - but to make money you dont need to do that.  You need to be able to use the trend to your advantage, thats it

There are many passive investors in the market hostage to their investment process - pension funds, insurance companies, large institutional investors , who always have to have a certain percentage in stocks all the time

As an individual investor, you don't have to follow that herd, you can be a bit more savvy. 

That means looking at charts, prices, momentum.  When you have every single mainstream publication telling you to buy stocks, maybe its time to pull back a little and book some profits .  When CNBC is telling you nonstop the worlds coming to an end , maybe time to put some more of your capital back in the game.  But it does mean you need to pay attention to what is going on, at-least on a weekly basis, if not daily. 

Now back to the current topic.  Trump's actions so far in 2017 have done nothing but added fuel to the fire, so tactically it made sense to remain invested.  the topping out prices happened in Jan when tax cuts fully got priced in.  When the market sold off but then bounced back off its 200 day moving average in mid Feb it was a good signal liquidity is intact and time to add more risk (which I did myself) . 

What Trump has done recently is put a damper on the liquidity trend line. If global trade retrenches, doesnt matter how attractive multiple your favorite stock is trading at, we will continue  selling off till we find a new circuit breaker  ...

fortune11 said:
Little long post but need to set the table straight here when there is so much misinformation floating around on this subject supposedly from people who should know better.

Inflation
population growth

It is just mathematical -- doesn't matter who is president or what policies are being implemented - now the rate of change can be fast or slow depending on what part of the cycle we are in. 

Now try telling that to somebody who invested money in Nasdaq QQQ in March 2000 but couldn't recover it until 2016 -- now if that person needed any of this money for say a medical emergency, he or she is SOL

Financial advisors who tell their clients just to buy and forever are doing their clients great disservice.  They are also proven right over long periods of time - doesn't mean they are smarter than others - just that this math works in favor of stocks over that long period.  You dont need to pay a financial advisor to tell you that simple fact.

Now could someone have earned income using bonds (whatever variety) and which would have perhaps been safer ? Yes and this is why stocks need to have a risk premium over bonds  -- stocks don't just  need to return positive upside but they need to beat bonds by a wide margin to really make it worth their while

and to get their meaningful upside, it helps to be a bit more nimble with your money

Dont believe the adage that you cannot ever time the market - thats a lazy answer from someone who doesn't want to put in the effort

What you cannot do (or cant repeatedly do) is perfectly time the top or the bottom - but to make money you dont need to do that.  You need to be able to use the trend to your advantage, thats it

There are many passive investors in the market hostage to their investment process - pension funds, insurance companies, large institutional investors , who always have to have a certain percentage in stocks all the time

As an individual investor, you don't have to follow that herd, you can be a bit more savvy. 

That means looking at charts, prices, momentum.  When you have every single mainstream publication telling you to buy stocks, maybe its time to pull back a little and book some profits .  When CNBC is telling you nonstop the worlds coming to an end , maybe time to put some more of your capital back in the game.  But it does mean you need to pay attention to what is going on, at-least on a weekly basis, if not daily. 

Now back to the current topic.  Trump's actions so far in 2017 have done nothing but added fuel to the fire, so tactically it made sense to remain invested.  the topping out prices happened in Jan when tax cuts fully got priced in.  When the market sold off but then bounced back off its 200 day moving average in mid Feb it was a good signal liquidity is intact and time to add more risk (which I did myself) . 

What Trump has done recently is put a damper on the liquidity trend line. If global trade retrenches, doesnt matter how attractive multiple your favorite stock is trading at, we will continue  selling off till we find a new circuit breaker  ...

if you're a trader, you're loving the volatility. if not....time to sell. i'm sure there are "investors" in japan still waiting for Nikkei 40k again :D

Halos said:
fortune11 said:

Inflation
population growth

if you're a trader, you're loving the volatility. if not....time to sell. i'm sure there are "investors" in japan still waiting for Nikkei 40k again :D

Yes, this is exactly what I mean ... entry and exit points matter ... otherwise that buy and hold forever truly becomes a forever wait to recoup your losses .

But Actually nikkei  has recovered .. in dollar terms . Remember also japans currency is a lot stronger now than it was in the 80s. But japan also is a victim of the biggest intractable problem ? demographics and aging , a problem uneducated right wingers (the people trump loves) want to import to the US via too restrictive immigration policies .

But japan also is a victim of the biggest intractable problem ? demographics and aging , a problem uneducated right wingers (the people trump loves) want to import to the US via too restrictive immigration policies

Not to worry. I heard on NPR Japan is already hard at work developing robots to solve the elder care dilemma.

Back