What the "Dow" is happening?

aquabliss said:
Cornflakes said:
There is no secret around oil industry bust last year. Overall US employment is restored back to 5%ish. We'll see what tomorrow morning report brings.

Good jobs report, futures have Dow up 200+

Dead cat bounce I guess.  Perhaps today is a good day to bail if you're still bearish.

Dow down 167 today

aquabliss said:
Cornflakes said:
There is no secret around oil industry bust last year. Overall US employment is restored back to 5%ish. We'll see what tomorrow morning report brings.

Dead cat bounce I guess.  Perhaps today is a good day to bail if you're still bearish.

Good Payroll Numbers, but Wage Growth 0% (unchanged).  Lower chance of rate hike.

Goriot said:
aquabliss said:
Cornflakes said:

Good call.
Great Payroll Numbers, but Wage Growth 0% (unchanged).  Lower chance of rate hike in Q1 '16. 
Dow = Worst start of new year since 1894.

Are we headed to a market collapse? look at the trend

2000 - Dotcom bubble
2008 - Bank bailouts (Bear Sterns)
2016 - China market/low oil price

So buy oil stocks and etfs now!

After dot com bust, tech companies were cheap
After financial crisis meltdown, bank stocks were cheap

Crude oil is now less than $30. I am in agreement with aw, for those who have the foresight to see the major opportunity in oil and the energy sector will do extremely well in years ahead. I prefer to look for deals in the Indian equities over China in the second half of the year. Do not trade and identify major macro economic trends and cycles.

2016 is not the time to be a hero in the stock market. The name of the game is wealth preservation.

1966 - 1982 - bear market cycle
1982 - 2000 - bull market cycle
2000 - 2018 - bear market cycle
2018 - 2036 - bull market cycle

AW said:
So buy oil stocks and etfs now!

After dot com bust, tech companies were cheap
After financial crisis meltdown, bank stocks were cheap

DOW just might close below 16,000 today. 

So what's good buy beside oil related stock?

eyephone said:
Are we headed to a market collapse? look at the trend

2000 - Dotcom bubble
2008 - Bank bailouts (Bear Sterns)
2016 - China market/low oil price

Every 8 years, hmm...

I guess 8 is the lucky number for those who timed it just right. :)

For those of you who thought they missed the boat in funding their Vanguard 529 Education IRA Plan. You have not missed the boat as another great opportunity is coming. Look for opportunities second half of 2016, but do not miss this opportunity.

I have been a stock market bear for the last 16 years... In about 2 years... I am going to be extremely bullish on the stock market and will be executing a buy and hold strategy. The current environment we are in is similar environment to that of 1937. 

The year 2018 will a similar environment to the year 1982. Back in 2000 the DOW closed at 11,400. I would not surprised one bit, if after 18 years, the DOW is around the same place where it is started in the year 2000.

Long-Term-Dow-Structure3-1024x768.jpg

morekaos said:
lnc said:
DOW just might close below 16,000 today. 

So what's good buy beside oil related stock?

Everything

For reals, all sectors are down.

Sector rotation play indicates non cyclical consumer goods for the near term?

Or start buying index, even the slow way (dollar cost averaging) for every month for several years (like contributing to 401k method).

I'm still on the fence on options.  But market sure looks volatile.

Dow down 500 pts.  I should cancel my contract for a new home at Orchard Hills and instead put that cash to work in Energy Sector after a little more pain and capitulation in the equity market.  Dow is going to 14,000 - 15,000, but not 10,000 like Panda is predicting.

Panda...correlation is not cause. The key is to understand what drove those indicators. The fact that you had x years in between is not a real driver and you had mini jumps all throughout. 

Plus, depending on where you slice the data, your 17 year bear, I'd argue that it was a massive 17 year Bull when you look at the ultimate bottom and than eventual run-up  in to the 1940's. For example, think about what drove about what overall business trends which resulted in growth, etc. Better you understand that and the better you truly understand what could potentially happen (even than, my  thoughts are, too damn tough to predict, only supposed constant is eventual increases and you just have to hope that holds out, if it doesn't, we all have far worse problems). 

Back