Is Netflix going to die in the next year?

morekaos said:
I predict AAPL will take over netflix in the next year of two.

I have thought this for a long time too

https://techpinions.com/why-apple-should-buy-netflix/42917

Why Apple Should Buy Netflix

This is a thought I?ve had for some time now ? I?ve mentioned it a couple of times in various places, but I haven?t had a chance to write down my reasons for thinking this would be a good idea until now. Given the context of Netflix?s huge international expansion, now seems as good a time as any, especially since CES has been even less newsworthy this year.

Apple has long been reported to be working on a subscription TV service. Though Apple itself has, of course, not commented on these reports, the consensus is Apple is planning a cable replacement service, but likely a ?skinny? one, offering a smaller number of channels than the classic pay TV service and with a heavy focus on the on-demand aspects as well as an app-based UI for various Apple devices. However, the negotiations have apparently stalled over Apple?s desire to keep the price under a certain level which, in turn, implies breaking up the traditional bundle and the sorts of channel packages most rights owners have historically negotiated

Ouch again.... stock down almost 14% down to $85/share.  New subscribers fell short of expectations and there are concerns of a price hike. 

they are saying competition has nothing to do with it.  I say they are trying to calm  investors.  They have a lot of selections but most of the content is garbage.  Would rather just subscribe to Hulu and HBO Now. 

jmoney74 said:
they are saying competition has nothing to do with it.  I say they are trying to calm  investors.  They have a lot of selections but most of the content is garbage.  Would rather just subscribe to Hulu and HBO Now.

I was going to ask...is Netflix worth it?  I'm looking for a replacement for renting movies on iTunes or thru Cox On Demand.  I already have all the premium movie channels, but that movie selection is very limited.  I really don't care much about original content....just looking for a cost-efficient way to watch movies that I missed from the past 6-7 years.

These studios need to start opening up the rental market.  I think $5 per rental is fair game but need all the content. 

paydawg said:
jmoney74 said:

I was going to ask...is Netflix worth it?  I'm looking for a replacement for renting movies on iTunes or thru Cox On Demand.  I already have all the premium movie channels, but that movie selection is very limited.  I really don't care much about original content....just looking for a cost-efficient way to watch movies that I missed from the past 6-7 years.

Oddly, considering how they got their start, Netflix isn't really that great for movies. They are more about TV series now. They are making a lot of their own shows. Many of them are fantastic.

ps9 said:
Just binged Voltron over the weekend, nicely done, can't wait for season 2, even my daughter liked it.  Guess we're pass the princess stage. 

Except for Voltron also has a princess. :)

Ever since Netflix added that download feature I've been watching more shows... maybe that's why the uptick in stock price.

So NFLX is ~$180, accounting for that 7/1 split, that's $1260.

Where was it when this thread started? Is that a 10x profit? Even at the split when people were buying ~$90, that's still 100%.

I dunno... that's pretty far from $40 (sorry USC, gotta keep pokin' you on this one).

Noticed that Netflix has quietly removed many Documentaries flix from the Documentary category. A lot of good series got removed. I was particular interest watching political and under ground financing docuseries, when truth uncover the real hidden agendas for the motives.

This after they jack up the price. How can we get it back? Youtube?

irvinehomeowner said:
So NFLX is ~$180, accounting for that 7/1 split, that's $1260.

Where was it when this thread started? Is that a 10x profit? Even at the split when people were buying ~$90, that's still 100%.

I dunno... that's pretty far from $40 (sorry USC, gotta keep pokin' you on this one).

Wow... it's around $360 now. That's double in just a year... do I get a pat on a back for this?

I'm kidding... I thought NFLX was a good investment back when this thread started but I had no idea it would go this high.

So 6 years later, I do have to add that more studios are doing the qwerty strategy of streaming their own content. I believe this has more to do with cable cutting than trying to take down Netflix.

But as I said, it's an inefficient way to consume media. I prefer to watch from one platform instead of having to sign into each and every service and run their app.

Today we have 4 main services: Dish satellite, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Vudu. We stopped doing Redbox because although $1-2 is cheap to rent a BR, it's a hassle to go to the box, rent it, and then return it the next day (on more than one occasions we have forgot and incurred extra fees). We'd much rather pay the $4-6 on Vudu... although we also started using Redbox Instant but their platform is a bit behind in quality.

I'm wary about Netflix now because Disney/Marvel added tons of content to their library but since they are developing their own streaming service, not sure how that's going to go for them. DC Studios is also doing their own streaming and with AT&T merging with Time Warner, that makes another media powerhouse against the Dis/Marvel/Fox house. Netflix is going to have to play nice with those 2 in some way or they could be in trouble. And there is still Google with their YouTube TV service which also has original content from YouTube Red.

However it goes, it's good for the consumer as gives us options and may lower pricing, but bad because you have to go to numerous areas for content and adding up all the prices for those services ends up like a cable bill.

But Netflix will not go out of business, we are 6 years into USC's 5-10 year out of business prediction... and way past his $40 call. Good things he trades options. :)

Watch out for Disney. (a lot of content and they ?pulled out?  from Netflix)

irvinehomeowner said:
So 6 years later, I do have to add that more studios are doing the qwerty strategy of streaming their own content. I believe this has more to do with cable cutting than trying to take down Netflix.

But as I said, it's an inefficient way to consume media. I prefer to watch from one platform instead of having to sign into each and every service and run their app.

Today we have 4 main services: Dish satellite, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Vudu. We stopped doing Redbox because although $1-2 is cheap to rent a BR, it's a hassle to go to the box, rent it, and then return it the next day (on more than one occasions we have forgot and incurred extra fees). We'd much rather pay the $4-6 on Vudu... although we also started using Redbox Instant but their platform is a bit behind in quality.

I'm wary about Netflix now because Disney/Marvel added tons of content to their library but since they are developing their own streaming service, not sure how that's going to go for them. DC Studios is also doing their own streaming and with AT&T merging with Time Warner, that makes another media powerhouse against the Dis/Marvel/Fox house. Netflix is going to have to play nice with those 2 in some way or they could be in trouble. And there is still Google with their YouTube TV service which also has original content from YouTube Red.

However it goes, it's good for the consumer as gives us options and may lower pricing, but bad because you have to go to numerous areas for content and adding up all the prices for those services ends up like a cable bill.

But Netflix will not go out of business, we are 6 years into USC's 5-10 year out of business prediction... and way past his $40 call. Good things he trades options. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
Watch out for Disney. (a lot of content and they ?pulled out?  from Netflix)

I said that already... multiple times. Why don?t you post links to where I said that? :)

I think your a waste of time to talk to.

I forgot. Did BTB mute you on TI?

Back