Is Netflix going to die in the next year?

Dang, over 40m subscribers (bigger than HBO) and counting... stock over $350+ after closing.

Very far from dying... I should have listened to my own advice, if I jumped in at $70 it would be up 500%.

Tyler Durden said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Dang, over 40m subscribers (bigger than HBO) and counting... stock over $350+ after closing.

Very far from dying... I should have listened to my own advice, if I jumped in at $70 it would be up 500%.

why didn't you buy? sounds like you are a big cheerleader for that stock?  Doesn't make sense to advocate for it and ignore your own advice?
Dumb money bought in afterhours last night and around open and smart money shorted the stock hard today. 

Actually I'm an advocate of Netflix, NFLX is just an indicator that others agree. I don't play the market because I don't have the time and any of my extra cash goes into the 401k.

I should buy and hold some things though. Stuff that I use is usually a safe bet. Is TI publicly listed? :)

morekaos said:
morekaos said:
I think a purchase would dovetail perfectly with the move into TV.  Built in customer base, complimentary technology, and God know Apple has the money to spend.  Match that up with the markets loss of confidence in the current management coupled with the drop in the stock price and ...presto!!! Instant family.....just a guess

OK, Apple is not in on it yet but they may show up.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/netflix-shares-soar-icahn-reports-193220745.html

Netflix shares soar after Icahn reports 10 percent stake

Follow him in....follow him out..

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101110636

Icahn sale would hit Netflix stock: RBC's Mahaney

A sale of Netflix stock by Carl Icahn could send the shares 5 to 7 percent lower, RBC Capital Markets Internet analyst Mark Mahaney said Monday on CNBC's "Fast Money."

"He's been an extremely good buyer of the stock," Mahaney said. "If he were to sell, I wouldn't change our opinion, but we'd note it as a clear negative on the stock. He knows what he's doing with Netflix so far."

Icahn, the billionaire activist investor and chairman of Icahn Enterprises, holds 10 percent of Netflix's outstanding shares

So does USC still think NFLX is flavor of the month? It's been 6 months. Maybe flavor of the year?

I blame your $40 call on me missing out a 600% gain. :)

It's all good. I thought GOOG was at its ceiling at $500 and that AAPL would be higher than $500.

And that's why I'm not a trader.

morekaos said:
This is not advice but I have been nibbling at this stock here in the mid $50s

Hey I got the buy right, left a bit on the table but I'll take what the market gives.

irvinehomeowner said:
Isn't HLF an MLM?

yes, but not a ponzi scheme. once the FTC investigation goes away, i think this is going to go way up. the day they filed their 10Ks from the new PWC audits the stock jumped 10%.

irvinehomeowner said:
So does USC still think NFLX is flavor of the month? It's been 6 months. Maybe flavor of the year?

I blame your $40 call on me missing out a 600% gain. :)

It's all good. I thought GOOG was at its ceiling at $500 and that AAPL would be higher than $500.

And that's why I'm not a trader.
So I was wrong, it happens.  I don't use Netflix and don't plan on using it in the future.  It's a momo stock so as long as the stock market is going up it'll go up in multiples of that but honestly I don't even know what it's trading at today because I don't follow the company.  I don't trade company stocks....I trade what I know....index options. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
I don't even know what it's trading at today because I don't follow the company.  I don't trade company stocks....I trade what I know....index options. 
Then you shouldn't be making $40 calls. :)

It's up to $450 now... highest ever. Ridiculous.

So looks like Redbox and VZW are throwing in the towel trying to compete with Netflix:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/04/redbox-instant-shutting-down/

If you thought that Redbox Instant would have trouble competing against a streaming video behemoth like Netflix, you were right. The Verizon-backed service is telling customers that Instant will shut down just before midnight on October 7th, roughly a year and a half after it got off the ground.

Yeah... not only is NFLX not going to die... it's not going to see $40 either. :)

$40 here we come!!!

Not.

One smart thing that NFLX did that I didn't expect, was come out with original content. House of Cards, Orange is the New Black have turned some heads and they have signed deals with Disney/Marvel for brand new upcoming live action content.

irvinehomeowner said:
$40 here we come!!!

Not.

One smart thing that NFLX did that I didn't expect, was come out with original content. House of Cards, Orange is the New Black have turned some heads and they have signed deals with Disney/Marvel for brand new upcoming live action content.
Probably not going to $40 but this is exactly why I don't play with  momo stocks like NFLX.

HBO is coming out with a la carte streaming plan and I expect other content providers to do the same: Disney, ESPN and so on. So if the content providers start to bypass the middle man, cable/satellite companies would take a big hit as their business models will become outdated, and to a certain degree Netflix would be affected also.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
$40 here we come!!!

Not.

Probably not going to $40
Tell yourself that!
USCTrojanCPA said:
They arent going out of business but the stock is going to $40.

The draw for Netflix is that it's media from multiple studios in one place.

Imagine if you had to pay Cox, DirectTV and Dish to access all the content you wanted... it wouldn't work.

For the studios, they also have to deal with the added costs for infrastructure, service, support and maintenance to deliver their own service, where they can just get paid in bulk for content and just worry about creating more content (I've mentioned this before).

Sometimes, having the middleman also means not having to worry about all the headaches the middleman takes care of so you can concentrate on your core business.

Back