Is Netflix going to die in the next year?

irvinehomeowner said:
The more the merrier... but Ozark on Netflix is fantastic.

What is it about Ozark that you find so appealing?  I watched the first episode... It didn't hook me in.  And I watched the most recent trailer and it still didn't really excite me. 

I guess what I didn't like in the first episode was how implausible a lot of the decision making was.  For me, character motivations have to make sense or it's hard for me to get into the story.

+1 for Ozark. If episode 1 isn't a grabber for you just give it time.

Apple+ doesn't have enough original content to keep things going. They have plenty of cash to deploy but do they want to become a film studio? Some good shows so far, but also some real duds. Amazon Prime also has $$$ plus a vast library of content to resell. They should be one of the last few standing as a content provider in the next 5 years. Paramount+ has content, but really only 3 tentpole shows (Yellowstone, 1883, and Star Trek). Disney+ is likely to absorb Hulu into the Mouse's Hive Mind soon, so don't look surprised to hear they've gone by the wayside. Netflix has US and overseas markets cornered, and with a great number of productions going on now, they will have the legs to avoid implosion. Most of the news about Netflix is stock related which is why we hear so much about the service here.

My call to check back on 5 years from now>:

Survivors: The big 3 - Amazon, Disney+, Netflix
Bubbles: Apple+, Paramount+
Life Support: Hulu, AMC+, etc.
Dead on Arrival? - Know anyone willing to pay for CNN+? Anyone... Bueller... Bueller... Anyone....

My .02c

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

What is it about Ozark that you find so appealing?  I watched the first episode... It didn't hook me in.  And I watched the most recent trailer and it still didn't really excite me. 

I guess what I didn't like in the first episode was how implausible a lot of the decision making was.  For me, character motivations have to make sense or it's hard for me to get into the story.

Yeah... Ozark isn't for everyone, and sometimes it takes more than one or a few episodes. I think it's the whole "what you would do for family" that hooks me.

Like Game of Thrones, it took me a while and couldn't really get past the first few eps, but once I watched it with other people, it started to click with all the political machinations etc.

Same thing with Breaking Bad... didn't get into it until way after it was over... I actually think Better Call Saul is superior because the storylines have more dimensions.

The Sopranos... never got it.

I think The Expanse is awesome... slow... but really good... but I get why people don't think so.

So it just depends.

I picked up nflx when it was @ 360.  Lucky so far.
sometimes stuff gets oversold....but I tend to hold too long.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Yeah... Ozark isn't for everyone, and sometimes it takes more than one or a few episodes. I think it's the whole "what you would do for family" that hooks me.

Like Game of Thrones, it took me a while and couldn't really get past the first few eps, but once I watched it with other people, it started to click with all the political machinations etc.

Same thing with Breaking Bad... didn't get into it until way after it was over... I actually think Better Call Saul is superior because the storylines have more dimensions.

The Sopranos... never got it.

I think The Expanse is awesome... slow... but really good... but I get why people don't think so.

So it just depends.

The first few seasons of Game of Thrones mirrored the novels pretty closely, which is why they took a few episodes to really set the groundwork for the later more exciting episodes.  Each of the novels is about 1,000 pages long and the first 200-300 pages are the same way - kind of slow to start, but then they really pick up.

Better Call Saul started pretty slowly, and the whole brother's electricity allergy I thought was bizarre, but it started to hit its stride in seasons 3-4.  I do like seeing the origin stories for a lot of the Breaking Bad characters and their motivations do totally make sense once you see how they got to where they are.  I don't know if I would classify it as better than Breaking Bad yet, but it has that potential.

The Sopranos gets credit as kicking off this whole high-quality drama on TV trend that has dominated the last 20 years.  Many people feel like television is superior to the movies now, but prior to the early 2000's that was not the case.  I agree that by today's standards the Sopranos isn't quite as amazing, since we've had so many amazing shows since then, but it gets credit as being the Godfather of modern television.  (See what I did there?)

Wheel of Time I do not get.

I have a buddy who swears it's better than GOT and I could barely get past the first episode... The Witcher was better to me.

While watching wheel of time this happened....

nynaeve-lan-shirtless.jpg

Then my wife started watching it too.

Did not get Wheel of Time either. Soylent Red enjoyed it however perhaps for the same reason as Ms. Zubs.  ;)

Glad to have "Snowpiercer" back on, as well as having a weird show called "Raised by Wolves" (HBO+) back come Thursday. Slugging through new season of "Servant" (Apple+) but it's starting to lose it's draw at least for me. We'll see where these go in 1-2 episodes more.

irvinehomeowner said:
Wheel of Time I do not get.

I have a buddy who swears it's better than GOT and I could barely get past the first episode... The Witcher was better to me.

If we compare the books, The Wheel of Time vs. A Song of Ice and Fire (which Game of Thrones is based on), then I like TWoT slightly more. TWoT if my favorite fantasy series. ASoIaF would have been in second place if Martin would ever finish the series, but he won't, so I place Lord of the Rings at 2nd place. TWoT is mostly fantasy with some politics while ASoIaF is political drama in a medieval setting, with some fantasy elements such as dragons.

Robert Jordan wanted to pay homage to LotR, so most of book 1 (The Eye of The World) is pretty much ripping of Fellowship of the Ring. Only in the 2nd book, The Great Hunt, does Jordan starts his only writing. Even as a reader, TWoT starts off pretty slow, so I could see why some people get turned off.

Now, about the shows, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the show runners, did a great job at adapting the books into the show, until they ran out of source material. So, the first 4 seasons of GoT, which adapted the first 3 books, were fantastic. Season 5 is where things started going downhill. Books 4 and 5 (which happens simultaneously in the story timeline) started introducing too many characters. Apparently, D&D didn't want to drag the show out, so they started killing off characters that are still alive in the books or completely cutting out a lot of characters. Supposedly, season 6 was based on the outline of book 6, which is still unfinished and probably never released and seasons 7 and 8 were based on book 7. However, since D&D killed off and cut out so many characters, they probably ended up changing the story/ending, which is why the final season was so much hated.

As for the Wheel of Time show, I think it's a pile of dog shit. Rafe Judkins, the show runner, probably didn't read the books, because he seemed to have made up a lot of stuff that didn't exist in the books or changed a lot of things. My brother didn't read the books and he thought it was pretty good. So I told him to not read the books so that he could continue to enjoy the show. Either way, the show sucks and I'm extremely disappointed. I'll watch season 2 to see if they finally get back to the books. If not, I'll have to drop it.

So the author (Robert Jordan) of Wheel of Time was a writer for the Conan the Barbarian franchise in 1980s, and despite the movies, the novels was not a big hit.  Seeing the success of TSR's Dragonlance novel series probably made the publisher (TOR) nudge Robert Jordan to publish an original fantasy series.

I did not read all the books in Wheel of Time series.  It was OK but not very memorable to me.  In contrast I still remember Robert Asprin's (Sci-Fi) Tambu and its commentary on decisions made with B.A.D. (Best Available Data).  I read that book over 30 years ago and still remember it.  It's long out of print but you can get used paperbacks for about $2-$3.

Cobra Kai is so funny to me.

The storyline isn't that good, the martial arts is bleh... but I keep watching it due to nostalgia.

I marked out last season when they brought back some old characters from KK1 and KK2. :)

It languished on YouTube Red... but is popular on... you guessed it... Netflix.

George R.R. Martin admits he made less progress in 2021 than 2020 on the next Game of Thrones book

"Yes, of course I am still working on The Winds of Winter," Martin wrote. "I have stated that a hundred times in a hundred venues, having to restate it endlessly is just wearisome. I made a lot of progress on Winds in 2020, and less in 2021? but 'less' is not 'none.'"
https://news.yahoo.com/george-r-r-martin-admits-180651374.html

Ready2Downsize said:
zubs said:
Might be able to pick up more shares under $350 soon.

With higher prices on everything from food to gas, there'll be less discretionary income to spend on expensive entertainment.  Netflix subscription cost $10+/month and is bundled with some services, such as T-mobile account.  My $0.02 ($0.04 w/inflation) is that Netflix will probably do OK.  I bought some stocks on dip.

Does Ryan Reynolds have NFLX stock? Seems like all his new movies are going NFLX first.

The Adam Project was okay... typical smart aleck Reynolds character... not sure if he can play anything else.

zubs said:

Netflix is having a fire sale tomorrow. If you still hold some shares, you are holding them too long,

I had a couple netflix lowball limit orders that got executed this morning...  then it dropped some more.  @_@;;

Back