Government Shutdown

fortune11 said:
And I will say one last thing before clearing out ... this shutdown is now starting to worry the markets that have performed right in line with my expectations since Christmas Eve when I told everyone to go long SPY on the other Dow thread  (and hopefully you did) .  bank earnings today further confirming the bullish channel. 

But if this nonsense lasts well into Feb, we start to run into some real issues as now is the prime time for corporates to plan Capex, m&a and set budgets and outlooks for 2019 and beyond.  markets can look through some political noise but not when it starts to affect economic activity in a meaningful way.

your democrats better come to the table and give trump a couple peanuts for his wall then

Kings said:
fortune11 said:
And I will say one last thing before clearing out ... this shutdown is now starting to worry the markets that have performed right in line with my expectations since Christmas Eve when I told everyone to go long SPY on the other Dow thread  (and hopefully you did) .  bank earnings today further confirming the bullish channel. 

But if this nonsense lasts well into Feb, we start to run into some real issues as now is the prime time for corporates to plan Capex, m&a and set budgets and outlooks for 2019 and beyond.  markets can look through some political noise but not when it starts to affect economic activity in a meaningful way.

your democrats better come to the table and give trump a couple peanuts for his wall then

You may want to check who people are blaming for the shutdown

He is the funniest man in the world...I love it!!

In escalating shutdown fight, Trump cancels plane for Pelosi overseas trip

?In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate,? the President wrote in a letter to the Speaker.

?Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative,?

http://jamiedupree.blog.ajc.com/2019/01/17/in-escalating-shutdown-fight-trump-cancels-pelosi-overseas-trip/

morekaos said:

?In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate,? the President wrote in a letter to the Speaker.

?Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative,?

http://jamiedupree.blog.ajc.com/2019/01/17/in-escalating-shutdown-fight-trump-cancels-pelosi-overseas-trip/

So far the score is Pelosi 2 to Trump 0

Irvinecommuter said:
Kings said:
fortune11 said:

You may want to check who people are blaming for the shutdown

morekaos said:

looks like pelosi is the one fleeing the country for a week! trump wants to make a deal and she's parading around europe and the middle east!

morekaos said:
Haven't seen the river card yet.

Trump wanted the press to sit in the conference with Pelosi and Schumer. Let me tell you this the meeting did not go well for Trump. Also, the State of the Union address is tabled by Nancy.

It?s sad Paul Ryan never stood up to Trump. Very weak
(During the campaign Ryan said this and that, but he bacdked down. I guess that?s why he?s no longer in Congress.)

eyephone said:
morekaos said:
Haven't seen the river card yet.

Trump wanted the press to sit in the conference with Pelosi and Schumer. Let me tell you this the meeting did not go well for Trump. Also, the State of the Union address is tabled by Nancy.

It?s sad Paul Ryan never stood up to Trump. Very weak
(During the campaign Ryan said this and that, but he bacdked down. I guess that?s why he?s no longer in Congress.)

Wait for the final call...
https://youtu.be/5h5cwCOWCOg
[url]https://youtu.be/5h5cwCOWCOg[/url]

Like I said , cruelty and crassness is a feature not a bug with the trump base and that?s WHY they love , not despite .

Those travel plans to nato , Afghanistan etc are always supposed to be secret . Trump laid them out there for everyone . Even if democrats could have paid their way to go there commercial or private , now they likelu will not , for security reasons .

fortune11 said:
Those travel plans to nato , Afghanistan etc are always supposed to be secret . Trump laid them out there for everyone . Even if democrats could have paid their way to go there commercial or private , now they likelu will not , for security reasons .

that's the point.

Kings said:
fortune11 said:

that's the point.

And Trump looks both petty and vindictive.  Mission accomplished!

Irvinecommuter said:
Kings said:
fortune11 said:

that's the point.

And Trump looks both petty and vindictive.  Mission accomplished!

you misspelled "trump wants to make a deal and the democrats want to go out of town"

Don?t kid yourself...they both are. Most of the time they all try and hide this stuff. I?d rather they just be honest and besides, if you don?t see the entertainment value in this you need to look up irony, humor and comedy. I find it refreshing that all sides are exposed.

Pelosi certainly did not think this State of The Union (SOTU) cancellation through very well. The Secret Service has already said security would not be an issue. Now she's given POTUS a grandstand, one where Nancy won't be able to shake her head or sour her puss every time Trump brings up wall funding.

My guess is that Pelosi will back down. If she doesn't The Tang Menace will hold the SOTU address in the Senate Chamber or from the Oval Office, surrounded by Angel Families, and likely deliver a strong enough message that will turn this issue in his favor.

Time will tell.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Pelosi certainly did not think this State of The Union (SOTU) cancellation through very well. The Secret Service has already said security would not be an issue. Now she's given POTUS a grandstand, one where Nancy won't be able to shake her head or sour her puss every time Trump brings up wall funding.

My guess is that Pelosi will back down. If she doesn't The Tang Menace will hold the SOTU address in the Senate Chamber or from the Oval Office, surrounded by Angel Families, and likely deliver a strong enough message that will turn this issue in his favor.

Time will tell.

I think she knew exactly what she was doing and I doubt she will backdown.  Again, track the polls...Trump is in a freefall

Edit:  GOP is blocking bills to reopen the government. 
https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-act...nell-blocks-bill-to-reopen-most-of-government

Every single poll I have seen , even the fox friendly Rasmussen has trump sinking , even with his base

Wonder what the TI republicans are smoking - must be the same joint as Elon musk on that joe rogan show :)

Every poll has him holding at 41-45 except Pew at 39. Pretty much where he always is. Heck the Economist has him at 45. He ll be fine. Enjoy!

Poll Date Approve Disapprove Spread
RCP Average 1/1 - 1/16 41.1 55.7 -14.6
Economist 1/12 - 1/15 45 52 -7
Rasmussen 1/14 - 1/16 44 55 -11
Reuters 1/9 - 1/15 41 55 -14
Pew 1/9 - 1/14 39 58 -19
Quinnipiac 1/9 - 1/13 41 55 -14
CNN 1/10 - 1/11 37 57 -20
The Hill/HarrisX 1/8 - 1/11 44 56 -12
IBD/TIPP 1/1 - 1/12 42 54 -12
Gallup 1/2 - 1/10 37 59 -22

morekaos said:
Every poll has him holding at 41-45 except Pew at 39. Pretty much where he always is. Heck the Economist has him at 45. He ll be fine. Enjoy!

Poll Date Approve Disapprove Spread
RCP Average 1/1 - 1/16 41.1 55.7 -14.6
Economist 1/12 - 1/15 45 52 -7
Rasmussen 1/14 - 1/16 44 55 -11
Reuters 1/9 - 1/15 41 55 -14
Pew 1/9 - 1/14 39 58 -19
Quinnipiac 1/9 - 1/13 41 55 -14
CNN 1/10 - 1/11 37 57 -20
The Hill/HarrisX 1/8 - 1/11 44 56 -12
IBD/TIPP 1/1 - 1/12 42 54 -12
Gallup 1/2 - 1/10 37 59 -22

I was saying it in jest, but looks like you are really smoking something 

Gallup at 37 ?

CNN at 37 ?

Did you just gloss over them or was the smoke clouding your vision :)

Irvinecommuter said:
Soylent Green Is People said:

Time will tell.

I think she knew exactly what she was doing and I doubt she will backdown.  Again, track the polls...Trump is in a freefall

Edit:  GOP is blocking bills to reopen the government. 
https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-act...nell-blocks-bill-to-reopen-most-of-government

good. gop finally showing some backbone and standing with trump instead of against him.  they are learning to win!

Back