Government Shutdown

morekaos said:
Older Polls, and if you get to throw out Fox News I get to toss out CNN.

which Fox News poll did I throw out - I am just reading off all the polls you yourself listed

I repeat myself -- what exactly are you smoking  :)

fortune11 said:
And I will say one last thing before clearing out ... this shutdown is now starting to worry the markets that have performed right in line with my expectations since Christmas Eve when I told everyone to go long SPY on the other Dow thread  (and hopefully you did) .  bank earnings today further confirming the bullish channel. 

But if this nonsense lasts well into Feb, we start to run into some real issues as now is the prime time for corporates to plan Capex, m&a and set budgets and outlooks for 2019 and beyond.  markets can look through some political noise but not when it starts to affect economic activity in a meaningful way.

Like you mentioned, this prolong chicken game will harm the economy. Land lords of section 8 housing will feel the pinch after March. Voucher for the low income housing will be affected after March. The poor will be more poor. And landlords can not just kick people out.

Compressed-Village said:
fortune11 said:
And I will say one last thing before clearing out ... this shutdown is now starting to worry the markets that have performed right in line with my expectations since Christmas Eve when I told everyone to go long SPY on the other Dow thread  (and hopefully you did) .  bank earnings today further confirming the bullish channel. 

But if this nonsense lasts well into Feb, we start to run into some real issues as now is the prime time for corporates to plan Capex, m&a and set budgets and outlooks for 2019 and beyond.  markets can look through some political noise but not when it starts to affect economic activity in a meaningful way.

Like you mentioned, this prolong chicken game will harm the economy. Land lords of section 8 housing will feel the pinch after March. Voucher for the low income housing will be affected after March. The poor will be more poor. And landlords can not just kick people out.

CBS article: City of Ogden, Utah, feels shutdown strain with thousands of furloughed workers
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ogden-...hutdown-with-thousands-of-furloughed-workers/

Not only the federal workers are getting shafted and small business owners that are around US federal agencies.

I guess people who own investment properties might be feeling the pain if they rent to federal workers.

Someone needs to tell the GOP that American people are hurting.

eyephone said:
Compressed-Village said:
fortune11 said:

CBS article: City of Ogden, Utah, feels shutdown strain with thousands of furloughed workers
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ogden-...hutdown-with-thousands-of-furloughed-workers/

Not only the federal workers are getting shafted and the small business owners.
Someone needs to tell the GOP that American people are hurting.

I guess people who own investment properties might be feeling the pain if they rent to federal workers.

All McConnell has to do is take a vote on the same bill that the Senate ALREADY passed in December

But no, here we are, as the world's biggest economy and superpower,  indulging tantrums from a man-child

fortune11 said:
morekaos said:

which Fox News poll did I throw out - I am just reading off all the polls you yourself listed

Sorry, I purposely omit any Fox News stories or quotes because Eye thinks they are tainted and a propaganda wing for the GOP therefore I usually throw out CNN and MSNBC for likewise reasons.  The more recent polls are relevant to your assertion that his numbers are falling.  Actually, he seems to be stable to up a few in recent days.

morekaos said:
fortune11 said:
morekaos said:

Sorry, I purposely omit any Fox News stories or quotes because Eye thinks they are tainted and a propaganda wing for the GOP therefore I usually throw out CNN and MSNBC for likewise reasons.  The more recent polls are relevant to your assertion that his numbers are falling.  Actually, he seems to be stable to up a few in recent days.

Stable?  538 has him below 40%.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Nice job Trump!  Breaking security protocol and denying a trip to visit the troops in Afghanistan out of individual pettiness. 

3-0 Pelosi

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Friday canceled plans for a commercial flight to Afghanistan after the White House leaked the details of her planned trip, a spokesman said. 

The cancellation comes one day after President Trump sent a letter to Pelosi canceling her planned congressional trip to Brussels and Afghanistan, which he dismissed as a ?public relations event,? in an escalation of tensions between the two amid the ongoing partial government shutdown.

Hammill said due to the security threats presented by the leak, the trip will be rescheduled for a later date.

?In light of the grave threats caused by the President?s action, the delegation has decided to postpone the trip so as not to further endanger our troops and security personnel, or the other travelers on the flights," he said. 
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...stan-trip-after-details-leaked-by-white-house

Elections have consequences:

A Buzzfeed News report claims Mr Trump instructed Michael Cohen to lie about plans to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.

Cohen has been sentenced to jail for lying to Congress and other offences.

Mr Trump responded on Twitter by referring to Cohen's convictions and saying Cohen was lying about the Moscow project to "reduce his jail time".

Mr Trump has also previously denied ever directing his former lawyer to break the law.

The intelligence committee of the House of Representatives will investigate the claims, says its new chairman, Adam Schiff.

"The allegation that the President of the United States may have suborned perjury before our committee in an effort to curtail the investigation and cover up his business dealings with Russia is among the most serious to date," Mr Schiff wrote on Twitter.

"We will do what's necessary to find out if it's true," he added.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46915909

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
538 is right there with MSNBC and CNN, and 538 hasn't had him over 42% since May of 2017.

Because that's where the polls are?  Seriously...you just decide to drop data points whenever you like.

42% high to 40% (39.999%) when your range has been that for over a year does not a trend make.  Throw out the numbers and look at the chart.....flat, pancake, tells you nothing and adds no information or insight. People here were postulating a "free fall"...not so

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
538 is right there with MSNBC and CNN, and 538 hasn't had him over 42% since May of 2017.

Because that's where the polls are?  Seriously...you just decide to drop data points whenever you like.

False, racist innuendos about Muslims (the ?prayer rug? hoax stolen from sicario movie plot) ,  threats against a witness's family, recklessly putting members of Congress in actual physical danger - this morning is just a little taste of how bad things are going to get before they get better.

?Nothing to see here ? ? kaos was saying the same thing before republicans got slapped in the face with a 40 seat loss in the house and a 9 point popular vote crushing defeat .

morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

42% high to 40% (39.999%) when your range has been that for over a year does not a trend make.  Throw out the numbers and look at the chart.....flat, pancake, tells you nothing and adds no information or insight. People here were postulating a "free fall"...not so

Averages don't move that much...it's the basic nature of stats.  A 2-3% move is huge.

fortune11 said:
?Nothing to see here ? ? kaos was saying the same thing before republicans got slapped in the face with a 40 seat loss in the house and a 9 point popular vote crushing defeat .

Even WH adviser admits that every week of the shutdown results in a 0.13% reductionin the GDP per week...so Trump is costing himself 0.5% GDP already because Anne Coulter and Rush Limbaugh got mad.

Hmmm:

Hours after President Donald Trump abruptly canceled House Speaker Nancy Pelosi?s flight on a military aircraft to visit troops in Afghanistan with a congressional delegation, Melania Trump jetted down to Mar-a-Lago in Florida for vacation ? on an Air Force plane.

The first lady boarded the military jet on Thursday at Andrews Air Force Base, NBC and other media outlets reported. Quartz estimated the cost of the vacation flight at $35,000.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...on-military-plane_us_5c41568ae4b027c3bbbfee9b

fortune11 said:

how'd the senate work out for you?

Kings said:
fortune11 said:

how'd the senate work out for you?

As expected

didn?t all the same polls that you guys keep dismissing, also call for Gop to keep the senate ? What changed ?

Do I really have to explain this to you - or you want to continue insulting everyone?s intelligence here 

Irvinecommuter said:
Elections have consequences:

A Buzzfeed News report claims Mr Trump instructed Michael Cohen to lie about plans to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.

Cohen has been sentenced to jail for lying to Congress and other offences.

Mr Trump responded on Twitter by referring to Cohen's convictions and saying Cohen was lying about the Moscow project to "reduce his jail time".

Mr Trump has also previously denied ever directing his former lawyer to break the law.

The intelligence committee of the House of Representatives will investigate the claims, says its new chairman, Adam Schiff.

"The allegation that the President of the United States may have suborned perjury before our committee in an effort to curtail the investigation and cover up his business dealings with Russia is among the most serious to date," Mr Schiff wrote on Twitter.

"We will do what's necessary to find out if it's true," he added.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46915909

Four glaring problems with this fake news story...

1.  A Buzzfeed News report
2.  Michael Cohen
3.  Adam Schiff
4.  Russia

Other than that..totally believable

Back