Government Shutdown

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
There?s a difference between a ribbing and a dog pile.

Snowflakes

fox news = 1 media outlet criticizing obama about a tan suit
cnn, msnbc, wapo, nyt, and on and on = dog pile about trump catering fast food for a fun and lighthearted celebration

if you still don't understand why trump calls the fake news media the enemy of the people, there is no hope for you

Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

Snowflakes

cnn, msnbc, wapo, nyt, and on and on = dog pile about trump catering fast food for a fun and lighthearted celebration

if you still don't understand why trump calls the fake news media the enemy of the people, there is no hope for you

If Trump and Fox News are hope...then no...no hope wanted or needed.

Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

Snowflakes

Yea fake news bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fHfgU8oMSo

Cares said:
Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

Snowflakes

Yea fake news bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fHfgU8oMSo

yes, very bad

https://youtu.be/qjUvfZj-Fm0

irvinehomeowner said:
Let's get back on topic for Kings and morekaos:

Do you think a government shutdown is good? And why?

government shutdown is not good for anyone. i think we can all agree on that. the question is who is being unreasonable?  is $5b (0.1% of the budget) for a wall unreasonable?  i can understand arguing against this if the wall did absolutely zilch, but the wall will do some number greater than zero in deterring illegal aliens from crossing the border at certain areas, reduce human trafficking, reduce drug trafficking, and so on. 

so as i said before, it's not about the money.  this is about the democrats having only one chip to play to stop the trump train because rbg is on her way out the door and the economy is humming away.

now tell me, why would good ol' nancy want trump to delay the sotu?  is she afraid of what he might say on a national stage?  afraid the democrats might be exposed?

Pelosi takes heat for bid to delay State of the Union address

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is facing a mounting backlash from Republicans for urging President Trump to delay his State of the Union address until after the partial government shutdown ends.

Pelosi, D-Calif., in a letter earlier Wednesday, suggested Trump either push back the scheduled Jan. 29 address or submit the speech in writing, citing security concerns amid the lapse in government funding.

But security officials have pushed back on her claim, claiming the teams are prepared. And Republican officials scoffed at the idea -- though the decision ultimately rests with Pelosi.

?It is unbecoming of a speaker to do this,? House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said Wednesday.

Later, House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., urged the president to press forward with the speech.

?For Nancy Pelosi to withdraw the offer shows insecurity on their part and that they can?t defend their open borders policy,? Scalise told reporters on Capitol Hill Wednesday. ?The country deserves to hear from the president. ? to think the speaker would lock the doors and prevent people from hearing from the president of the United States.?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-takes-heat-for-bid-to-delay-state-of-the-union-address

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

government shutdown is not good for anyone. i think we can all agree on that. the question is who is being unreasonable?  is $5b (0.1% of the budget) for a wall unreasonable?  i can understand arguing against this if the wall did absolutely zilch, but the wall will do some number greater than zero in deterring illegal aliens from crossing the border at certain areas, reduce human trafficking, reduce drug trafficking, and so on. 

so as i said before, it's not about the money.  this is about the democrats having only one chip to play to stop the trump train because rbg is on her way out the door and the economy is humming away.

now tell me, why would good ol' nancy want trump to delay the sotu?  is she afraid of what he might say on a national stage?  afraid the democrats might be exposed?

Because the Wall is dumb and the $5 billion is better spent elsewhere if you are worried about those things.

Pelosi is depriving Trump of the attention he craves.  Trump already did a "national speech" about the wall and pretty much everyone agreed that he said absolutely nothing material.

Go check those poll numbers on how Trump is doing since the shutdown and who Americans are blaming.  Remember Trump said that he would gladly own the shutdown.

Trump knows this and is now forcing federal workers to work without pay.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Kings:

How is the shutdown going to get us $5b? That?s my question.

the shutdown is about the federal budget that has not been approved.  trump holds one lever and the democrats hold the other.  it's not like we don't have $5b that we can't reach our hand into the bottom of the couch cushion to pull out.  it's all politics at this point.

Irvinecommuter said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Because the Wall is dumb and the $5 billion is better spent elsewhere if you are worried about those things.

Pelosi is depriving Trump of the attention he craves.  Trump already did a "national speech" about the wall and pretty much everyone agreed that he said absolutely nothing material.

Go check those poll numbers on how Trump is doing since the shutdown and who Americans are blaming.  Remember Trump said that he would gladly own the shutdown.

Trump knows this and is now forcing federal workers to work without pay.

wall is dumb is not a good answer.  we spend billions in foreign aid (aka foreign influence) and i think that's dumb.  doesn't mean i don't recognize that it helps us maintain global superpower. 

i said this before and i'll say it again: polls are temporary, walls are forever.  the democrats want to deny trump his legacy piece and that's what it really boils down to.  we can all agree that even if the wall was $100m the democrats would never give trump the money because it was one of his top campaign promises to his base.

Kings said:
we can all agree that even if the wall was $100m the democrats would never give trump the money because it was one of his top campaign promises to his base.

A bad idea is a bad idea. does not matter if it's 100 billion or 100 million.

Now if Trump can get us a FREE wall like he promised, I think most people would go for that.

Kenkoko said:
Kings said:
we can all agree that even if the wall was $100m the democrats would never give trump the money because it was one of his top campaign promises to his base.

Now if Trump can get us a FREE wall like he promised, I think most people would go for that.

Better yet!  Mexico was going to pay for it. 

The wall is pointless and purely political theater for Trump.  He was going to sign the budget without the wall until Anne Coulter and Rush Limbaugh shamed him into shutting down the government. 

Kenkoko said:
Kings said:

i still haven't heard why it's a "bad idea".  bad because it's a waste of money?  based on whose opinion?  we have spent countless dollars over the years on things that we thought were "good ideas" based on bipartisan opinion that turned out to be "bad ideas".

Irvinecommuter said:
Kenkoko said:
Kings said:

The wall is pointless and purely political theater for Trump.  He was going to sign the budget without the wall until Anne Coulter and Rush Limbaugh shamed him into shutting down the government.

yes, ann coulter and rush limbaugh are running the country  ::)

i thought it was putin?

Kings said:
Kenkoko said:
Kings said:

i still haven't heard why it's a "bad idea".  bad because it's a waste of money?  based on whose opinion?  we have spent countless dollars over the years on things that we thought were "good ideas" based on bipartisan opinion that turned out to be "bad ideas".

Can you tell me why we should shut down the government for a $5 billion wall that most people think is useless and not effective?  Why shouldn't this be something that is negotiated and discussed in Congress as a normal part of the budget process?

Trumpism isn't so much a set of ideas as it is a set of attitudes, a vindictive quest to inflict some degree of pain on perceived enemies.  It is a score settling exercise inspired by a score settling leader. 

this is why you cannot win any arguments here on logic .  we could go on and on for pages on this thread and  bore everyone else with it ...

Kings said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Kenkoko said:
Kings said:

yes, ann coulter and rush limbaugh are running the country  ::)

i thought it was putin?

this orange puppet has multiple masters

And I will say one last thing before clearing out ... this shutdown is now starting to worry the markets that have performed right in line with my expectations since Christmas Eve when I told everyone to go long SPY on the other Dow thread  (and hopefully you did) .  bank earnings today further confirming the bullish channel. 

But if this nonsense lasts well into Feb, we start to run into some real issues as now is the prime time for corporates to plan Capex, m&a and set budgets and outlooks for 2019 and beyond.  markets can look through some political noise but not when it starts to affect economic activity in a meaningful way. 

Back