COVID-19 Vaccine Questions

I am with SGIP on taking matters into your own hands - I'm tired of "virtual" anything at this point including their waitlist! 

I had the most luck with Walmart and Albertsons.  Their appointment sites were also easiest to navigate, find availablity, IMO. Found an appointment for early next week in Orange.  CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid - no availability nearby based on my experience. 

Soylent Green Is People said:
Agreed. I don't want to be trapped in a metal tube for 4 hours with someone who refuses a gift like these vaccines.

Othena.com has you on a virtual wait list (assuming no pre-condition selections. Those push you to the front of the line and rarely a wait in those cases) . I have yet to hear from Othena about an appointment. Not a patient person so I found it better to take matters into my own hands and get in line myself rather than wait for a space to open up through a random notification. Sure, I'm going to drive about 30 miles or so to get the shot. Beats waiting another 30 days.

My .02c

Have you renewed your profile? My relative (over 50 but has asthma) signed up on Othena, was put on the virtual list and then received the approval to schedule the next day. He told his wife and she was already registered since January (was signing up for Covid test) so she had a login already. She went in, updated her profile, said Yes to the Over 16 with chronic condition (she is under 50 but has kidney disease) and she received her go ahead the next day and scheduled for tomorrow at OC Fairgrounds (today they only had Anaheim open).

But like I said, finding openings on CVS.com is also pretty easy, usually late at night and make sure you use a city not a zip code when you search. I was testing this the other day... and use different cities, the one on Alton and Jeffrey only showed up when I used Tustin or Newport Beach (but not Irvine which is stupid). My neighbor "cheated"... booked his whole family and they didn't ask for proof of chronic conditions.

In 14 days it opens up to everyone, I say if you can get your vaccine, go for it, it helps everyone at this point.  Like IHO said, state high risk on Othena and you get an appt in 2-5 days.  If not, it'll be a longer wait especially for those who signed up in Jan and are still waiting will probably get priority once mid April hits. 

akkord said:
In 14 days it opens up to everyone, I say if you can get your vaccine, go for it, it helps everyone at this point.  Like IHO said, state high risk on Othena and you get an appt in 2-5 days.  If not, it'll be a longer wait especially for those who signed up in Jan and are still waiting will probably get priority once mid April hits.

Try to get it earlier before it opens up to everyone.

akkord said:

Can I just state that I'm at high risk two days before 4/15 and make an appt on 4/15 when everybody becomes eligible? 
Are all those who got vaccinated ahead of their turns jumped the line by lying about their health condition?
I feel like I'm stupid just waiting for my turn.

My license has my office address which is in Corona.
Othena at Anaheim Convention center still took it and did not ask me any questions.

If they ask make up a story....they want to give you a shot.  help them.

zubs said:
My license has my office address which is in Corona.
Othena at Anaheim Convention center still took it and did not ask me any questions.

If they ask make up a story....they want to give you a shot.  help them.

So you got the Moderna vaccine?

The Otena app notified me to make an appointment 2 weeks ago even though I don't meet any of the tier requirements. I got my 1st shot last Sunday.

Cares said:
The Otena app notified me to make an appointment 2 weeks ago even though I don't meet any of the tier requirements. I got my 1st shot last Sunday.

Good. I think it is good that you got it before it opens up to everybody.

According to this board, Soka University via Othena app does not check anything and people have gotten vaccines there by pretending to have a health condition

Not encouraging this behavior though  ;)

They should have stricter means-testing if they wanted to prevent this loophole from being exploited.

Anybody can just drive up to Long Beach convention center and get the Johnson and Johnson shot. no waiting, last person I talked to it took five minutes.

morekaos said:
Anybody can just drive up to Long Beach convention center and get the Johnson and Johnson shot. no waiting, last person I talked to it took five minutes.

I heard differently from someone that I know of got denied because they do not live or work in LB.

For several weeks the non-government sites have been poking anybody that will show up.

I know multiple people that legitimately qualified to get the vaccine, but otherwise are indistinguishable from any other 20, 30, 40 year old.  No questions have been asked of any of them.

UrvineLegend said:
akkord said:

Can I just state that I'm at high risk two days before 4/15 and make an appt on 4/15 when everybody becomes eligible? 
Are all those who got vaccinated ahead of their turns jumped the line by lying about their health condition?
I feel like I'm stupid just waiting for my turn.

Just do it.

The more who get vaccinated the better.

Got my first Pfizer shot today at Ralph's of all places.  Right before I showed up they put out an announcement over the PA system for anyone who wanted a vaccine to head to the pharmacy.  The Moderna vaccines they had were expiring in 1/2 hour and were up for grabs.  Happy to wait for mine I guess, to not waste them.  They offloaded all but 1 dose.

daedalus said:
Got my first Pfizer shot today at Ralph's of all places.  Right before I showed up they put out an announcement over the PA system for anyone who wanted a vaccine to head to the pharmacy.  The Moderna vaccines they had were expiring in 1/2 hour and were up for grabs.  Happy to wait for mine I guess, to not waste them.  They offloaded all but 1 dose.

They actually have expiration times down to the hour on them?  Sounds pretty delicate.

Back