COVID-19 Vaccine Questions

aquabliss said:
daedalus said:
Got my first Pfizer shot today at Ralph's of all places.  Right before I showed up they put out an announcement over the PA system for anyone who wanted a vaccine to head to the pharmacy.  The Moderna vaccines they had were expiring in 1/2 hour and were up for grabs.  Happy to wait for mine I guess, to not waste them.  They offloaded all but 1 dose.

They actually have expiration times down to the hour on them?  Sounds pretty delicate.

Once the vaccine is mixed, Pfizer allows 6 hours at room temperature before they expire. Unmixed and sitting in a fridge, they have 5 days.

aquabliss said:
daedalus said:
Got my first Pfizer shot today at Ralph's of all places.  Right before I showed up they put out an announcement over the PA system for anyone who wanted a vaccine to head to the pharmacy.  The Moderna vaccines they had were expiring in 1/2 hour and were up for grabs.  Happy to wait for mine I guess, to not waste them.  They offloaded all but 1 dose.

They actually have expiration times down to the hour on them?  Sounds pretty delicate.

Logistics is a big issue for a lot of pharmaceutical products. "cold chain" etc.

ABC News: US calls for pause in Johnson & Johnson vaccinations over blood clot concerns

The FDA and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Tuesday that they are calling for an immediate pause on the use of the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine after discovering six cases in the United States of a rare and severe type of blood clot that developed about two weeks after the vaccine was administered in these patients.

More than 6.8 million doses of the J&J vaccine have already been administered in the United States.

The CDC and the FDA said that they are currently reviewing data involving these six cases -- all of which occurred among women between the ages of 18 and 48 -- where symptoms occurred between six to 13 days after they were vaccinated with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-calls-pause-johnson-johnson-vaccinations-blood-clot/story?id=77040882

My comment: Only 6 people out of 6.8 million doses received blood clots. I predict they will eventually continue to vaccinate people with J&J.

If they keep the J&J out of circulation there's going to be quite a rush for the other two vaccines. As of yesterday 2/3 of the available shots to be scheduled were J&J. Combine a krimp in access (short term...) and the floodgates opening on the 16th, it's going to get interesting quickly.

I guess also that distribution for the vaccine might be overweighted in some Counties. Need a shot in OC? Depends.... maybe today, maybe another day. Out in Riverside and SB County? It's wide open. They seem to have cornered the market on excess vaccine shots.

Someone on my Twitter suggested for the FDA to declare J+J the "Dudes Only" vaccine, since the clotting only affected women.

And then print t-shirts that say "It Takes a Real Man to Handle This Johnson"

Maybe this could get some macho anti-vaxxer men off the fence and get vaccinated.

According to Newsom, J&J was only 4% of vaccines in Cali.

Tons of Moderna/Pfizer appointments available on Othena... get your vax on!

Soylent Green Is People said:
If they keep the J&J out of circulation there's going to be quite a rush for the other two vaccines. As of yesterday 2/3 of the available shots to be scheduled were J&J. Combine a krimp in access (short term...) and the floodgates opening on the 16th, it's going to get interesting quickly.

I guess also that distribution for the vaccine might be overweighted in some Counties. Need a shot in OC? Depends.... maybe today, maybe another day. Out in Riverside and SB County? It's wide open. They seem to have cornered the market on excess vaccine shots.
I just got my shot in Riverside.  16+ since last week.  First come first serve.  No Othena to tell you when you can make appt.  I was able to get it there because I work in Corona, but nobody questioned me even though my address is in Irvine.  They simply don't care.  I had my company badge and letter with me just in case.  I'm hoping to get my second shot here though, so that I don't have to drive there.

UrvineLegend said:

I just got my shot in Riverside.  16+ since last week.  First come first serve.  No Othena to tell you when you can make appt.  I was able to get it there because I work in Corona, but nobody questioned me even though my address is in Irvine.  They simply don't care.  I had my company badge and letter with me just in case.  I'm hoping to get my second shot here though, so that I don't have to drive there.

Othena was easy for me to use, not sure how making an appt after 2-3 days after signup is an issue.  Soka doesn't ask any questions, just need ID. 

1st Shot was in Riverside. 2nd is in Irvine.

Some sites don't ask "Is this your 1st or 2nd shot?" so signing up for your second dose can be a bit confusing. My 2nd was eligible starting on the 22nd, so technically I was eligible on 4/1 to schedule the follow up dose. Most of the commercial sites (Walgreens, Kroger, Albertsons) said "Wait until you're eligible to schedule". I backtracked my 1st dose date from 4/1 to 3/15 and suddenly all of these appointments around 4/22 opened up. You'll have to play with some of the unique quirks of each scheduling system to get a 2nd dose appointment.

Some sites don't ask "Is this your 1st or 2nd shot?" so signing up for your second dose can be a bit confusing. My 2nd was eligible starting on the 22nd, so technically I was eligible on 4/1 to schedule the follow up dose. Most of the commercial sites (Walgreens, Kroger, Albertsons) said "Wait until you're eligible to schedule". I backtracked my 1st dose date from 4/1 to 3/15 and suddenly all of these appointments around 4/22 opened up. You'll have to play with some of the unique quirks of each scheduling system to get a 2nd dose appointment.

Othena automatically sets up your 2nd appt within minutes of getting your first shot, to exactly 3 weeks at the same time. 

I think the most revealing thing on this thread is how many Irvine residents have no qualms about lying or taking cuts when it benefits them personally.  I bet you guys cheat on your taxes and fudge on your mortgage applications too. 

Taking a scarce resource away from those that need it most is not a benefit to society.  Stop trying to pretend you are doing the world a favor by stealing from the sick and elderly.

So far (without leapfrogging) Othena said I could go to the OC Fair anytime for my J&J shot..... until late yesterday when they switched to Moderna. It's because I am over 50. It will be interesting to see how the appointment volume may shift once the "Anyone over 16" availability opens up.

irvinehomeowner said:
I booked my first shot tomorrow through Othena at OC Fairgrounds... Pfizer.

If I grow a 3rd eye... I'll let you know.

Don't worry. So far my observation shows the most prominent side effect is the inability to shut up about getting the covid vaccine.

Good luck  ;)

CVS gave me my 1st and 2nd does appointment at the time I booked. 

@Irvinehomeowner - Given that it's Pfizer (as was mine) if there are side effects, I'd hope they would be similar to a product they are better known for.

@Bullsback My 1st shot provider did the same, but didn't want to drive back out to Riverside. I had to re-book through another provider for the 2nd dose. Just passing along the process should a reader want some 1st hand knowledge on one of many ways to get this task accomplished.

So J&J vaccines are no longer avail? One of my family members had an appointment this week. I wonder if that's canceled. 

Mety said:
So J&J vaccines are no longer avail? One of my family members had an appointment this week. I wonder if that's canceled. 

They will probably replace with Pfizer/Moderna or reschedule.

Got my first Pfizer earlier today (legit)...  OC Fair sent me to walk-in because drive-thru was crowded. It was pretty quick except for the fact that where you park is probably the farthest you can be from the vax area (#needatram).

The 15-minute sitting area is an honor system and I was silently policing people who were not waiting the full 15 minutes. One kid sat down for a minute and left, another girl went straight to the exit. I talked to one of the "monitors" and he said that it's really for their own good and that the other day he saw 2 seizures right at the 15 minute mark in the drive-thru waiting area (fact or fiction?). A lady in front of me was getting antsy because she said she was feeling dizzy and so another monitor gave her a bottle of water. I left after 15 minutes on the dot so not sure what happened with her.

I'll try to do the drive-thru on my 2nd shot but not really up to me.

I used Othena to book which was pretty effortless too... if you do all the pre-screening ahead of time it's a very fast check-in.

Get your vax, wear your mask, eat at Stacks. :)

UrvineLegend said:
Today is the first day anyone over 16 in CA becomes eligible for Covid shot and I got bombarded with emails and messages from both Othena and MyturnCA telling me to make an appt.  Geez, I should've just waited and got my first shot here instead of driving all the way to Riverside.  Oh well, I will just get my second shot here by making an appoint for first shot via Othena.

Back