COVID-19 Vaccine Questions

Took my parents to Soka Univ. in Aliso Viejo this morning for covid-19 vaccination.  My parents received emails from Othena Thursday night, but made appt Friday night.  The appt can be made on laptop or using app.  Android works.  On the day of appt, you will be able to do pre-test check in via app.  Answer 11 questions regarding your allergic response, vaccination history, and etc.  Do this before you get there.  When you touch "I arrived", you will get a QR code.  Take your phone.  It turns out that Soka Univ. site just opened today for vaccination according to the news.  Approach Soka Univ. on Wood Canyon Dr. from north.  If you approach from south, you can't make a left.  There is a long line of cones when you approach from north.  Take the right lane.  When you turn into University Dr, they ask you if you have appt. Show your appt time on the app.  As you drive in, they will stop you to take temperature reading for everyone in your car.  Then you drive further into the parking garage.  Go up to 3rd level or above.  Park and walk down to 2nd level.  There are 4 lanes and depending on your appt time, you follow the lane to join the line of people.  We got there 10 minutes before 9:00 appt and was pretty much the last on the lane.  But other lanes didn't move until we checked-in.  So getting there early doesn't mean you'll get the shot early.  Maybe afternoon appt will be different as the lines get longer.  They check your appt time again and then you check in.  Show your ID and QR code.  After that you get out of parking garage and walk to the gym next to the parking garage.  You line up again to get into gym and get vaccinated.  Wait 15 minutes in the waiting area and you're done.  The whole thing took about an hour once I parked my car and got back to my car.  My parents received Pfizer and next appt is 3 weeks from today.  I haven't been to Disneyland site so can't compare, but I imagine it's a larger site than Soka.  Soka is in a nice neighborhood and everything went smooth.  I highly recommend Soka for covid-19 vaccination.

My parents got their 2nd shot on Monday. 02.15.2021
We got to Disneyland @ 3:20 for a 3:45 appointment.
We were out by 3:45.

We didn't wait at all.  It seems they got the shot efficiency dialed in now.

Soka was quick for the 2nd shot for my MIL when we went on Monday, so they got everything in order now too.  They had issues when it opened up since she said it was a long wait the first time through. 

zubs said:
My parents got their 2nd shot on Monday. 02.15.2021
We got to Disneyland @ 3:20 for a 3:45 appointment.
We were out by 3:45.

We didn't wait at all.  It seems they got the shot efficiency dialed in now.

My dad and stepdad got their first Moderna vaccine shot in the past week.  They had some minor side effects...fatigue, muscle soreness, slight headache, and light-headedness when walking.  I told both of them that they might get some worse side effects from the 2nd shot so they should just relax at home for first 2-3 days after the 2nd shot.

Yeah watch out for the 2nd shot.

My first was none eventful, only a little sore at the injection site.  However after receiving the 2nd shot in the morning, got fever of 102, mild body ache and chills that night.  Didn?t fully recover until the afternoon of next day.  Also when I got the 2nd shot, they injected higher up on my deltoid muscle, the soreness prevented me from raise my arm until the next day.

MIL was just a bit tired the following day, nothing else, was fine by Wed morning, she was one of the luckier ones. 

The best takeaway from these vaccines (as people seem to focus on efficacy) is that they are all excellent at helping reduce death and hospitalization by reducing the severity if you were to still contract Covid.

So get the one that is most available to you.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I'm going to wait until the J&J vaccine is available because I don't want to deal with 2 shots along with the negative symptoms after the 2nd shot from the mRNA vaccines.

FYI, March 9th appointments at the Anaheim convention center already has the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as an available option.

I talked to some friends, and some of them are lying to get the vaccine with a 50% success rate.
So they would lie to the website where you get appointments.

When they walked up to get the shot, some let them through while other door keepers checked credentials.

So if you're a shady type, you can just get an appointment over and over til you actually get a shot....

Ofcourse biden said may 1st everyone over 18 will be eligible, so can just be lazy about it for another 1.5 months.

zubs said:
I talked to some friends

In addition to folks taking the chance that they aren't asked for proof of eligibility, I've also had similar conversations with folks who had a connection at a hospital or a home health care business and got the shots early.  Maybe not the right quote, but "... finds a way"

It might not really make a difference given how things are ramping up.

GenericIrvineResident said:
Do we just sign up via Othena and lie about our conditions?  >:D

All the FYIGM people just breathed a collective sigh of excitement

I was going to try to sign up at a CVS in a few weeks.

The Soka University site in Aliso Viejo is much better run than the Anaheim sites.

This is from both personal experience and many co-workers.

At the Soka site, they never check for your professional license. Only driver's license to verify the appointment.

So technically, one can pretend to be in group 1B, sign up via Othena app, and get vaccinated at Soka.

For people who cannot make it during weekdays, try to setup your 1st appoint on weekends because your 2nd shot appointment is automatically set for 21 days after your 1st. If you get your 1st shot on a Sunday, your 2nd shot will also be scheduled on a Sunday. It's a big hassel to reschedule via the Othena app.

FYI, the Othena App will only auto-send notification once after signing up. If you do not take the first available appointment offered, the app will NOT notify you again. You have to manually open the app and check every time to see if there's available appointment.

I heard if your BMI is over 30, then you can be considered having a pre-existing condition & get into group 1B
so all you fatties....go get it!

I think it's 47 or something crazy high.

If you are black or latino, you can get an accessibility code.  (It's a racist equity thing)

spootieho said:
I think it's 47 or something crazy high.

If you are black or latino, you can get an accessibility code.  (It's a racist equity thing)

This is coming from a person who does not like to use the term Karen.

Back