Costco check?

Spectrum Costco must have restocked, they had TP today at 6pm but no paper towels.  Had to get Target brand full sheet paper towels, bleh. 

That Costco was CLEAN, I mean like shiny new car clean.  The checkout stands and the conveyer belts all looked sparkly and new.

are less people shopping the past couple days b/c of the bad weather?  I'm trying to figure out when I want to venture out to Costco.  The last time I was there was pre-Social Distancing.

paydawg said:
are less people shopping the past couple days b/c of the bad weather?  I'm trying to figure out when I want to venture out to Costco.  The last time I was there was pre-Social Distancing.

There are less people at Spectrum Costco. I only go around 12:30 and the store has very few people. No line to get in and check out. I actually went today also. Fully stocked of everything except for TP at the moment. I don't need to buy TP since we already have a pack, but aquabliss said he could get it 6pm yesterday so maybe try that time if you need to get one.

paydawg said:
Just a lone data point here, but we have not gone to a warehouse or grocery store since the lockdown started.  Whereas we used to be very frequent shoppers of B&M Costco and other places, and had never had groceries delivered, we have adopted a pure delivery lifestyle.  Costco, Amazon & Ralph's show up each week.  I never liked the idea of paying more and not being able to select my own produce, but the benefit of time saved (and now, of total social distancing) is certainly nice.  It helps that there's always someone home to put things in the fridge since we work from home now. 

Unexpected bonus #1:  Frozen water bottles included with the orders to keep things cool.

Unexpected bonus #2:  Dry ice used with some orders to keep things cool that my daughter and I then get to play with in the bathroom sink after the food is put away.

@daedalus:

Can't seem to use Amazon Fresh in Irvine, never any schedule delivery dates available. Been trying for over a month now. I can use Amazon Prime Now though.

For our TI healthcare workers and first responders - per Costco?s email if you show your Costco membership card and official healthcare/first responder ID you get to cut to the front of the line to enter Costco.

qwerty said:
Went to Costco at the district this morning at around 10:15. There was a small line outside, I was number 20 in line and only a couple of people after me.  Took no more than 10 minutes to go in.

Inside there was a bunch of TP, just the Kirkland brand but beggars can?t be choosers. Didn?t really need TP but got a big Kirkland package anyway. I have not gone to Costco this early since the they modified their hours. While getting in was not much of an issue, getting out kind of sucked. They had a line all they way to the packaged refrigerator area (they refrigerated area in front of where the rotisserie chicken is. The line weaved in and out  throughout the clothes section. I thought it was going to take along time time to get to the checkout are but it took about 20 minutes. So wasn?t too bad but I was not expecting that long as line (everyone was about six feet apart, they have yellow markers on the floor).

So I will not be going back to Costco at that time again. I?d rather go right before they close and avoid any lines.

I did like that I could see a lady wiping down each self checkout area after each customer. Costco does the best job of trying to disinfect everything as much as they can. So why I won?t go back in the morning time I will go back in the evening because they have the best disinfecting practices I?ve seen.

They did not have any Clorox/Kirkland/Lysol wipes and no disinfectant sprays. All normal food/water was fully stocked.

I tried to place a bulk order on Alibaba for nitrile gloves, about 3000 gloves, and the vendor said they were out of stock. Not sure if my order just wasn?t big enough or if they were really out of stock.

Pretty soon disinfectant wipes/masks/gloves will be the new currency.

Thanks Qwerty. I went to Costco and I bought Toilet Paper. I saw several people have multiple that got more than 1 toilet paper package. However, there are workers that walk around the store and enforce the rule. Get there early because the TP and paper towels might run out. I went the same time as Qwerty mentioned around 10:15ish today and I was lucky enough to get toilet paper. There were only a few left. (Keep in mind I did not ask so there might be more)

One tip is that you can ask to go to the self checkout line when the worker is about to assign the cashier checkout lane.

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
Went to Costco at the district this morning at around 10:15. There was a small line outside, I was number 20 in line and only a couple of people after me.  Took no more than 10 minutes to go in.

Inside there was a bunch of TP, just the Kirkland brand but beggars can?t be choosers. Didn?t really need TP but got a big Kirkland package anyway. I have not gone to Costco this early since the they modified their hours. While getting in was not much of an issue, getting out kind of sucked. They had a line all they way to the packaged refrigerator area (they refrigerated area in front of where the rotisserie chicken is. The line weaved in and out  throughout the clothes section. I thought it was going to take along time time to get to the checkout are but it took about 20 minutes. So wasn?t too bad but I was not expecting that long as line (everyone was about six feet apart, they have yellow markers on the floor).

So I will not be going back to Costco at that time again. I?d rather go right before they close and avoid any lines.

I did like that I could see a lady wiping down each self checkout area after each customer. Costco does the best job of trying to disinfect everything as much as they can. So why I won?t go back in the morning time I will go back in the evening because they have the best disinfecting practices I?ve seen.

They did not have any Clorox/Kirkland/Lysol wipes and no disinfectant sprays. All normal food/water was fully stocked.

I tried to place a bulk order on Alibaba for nitrile gloves, about 3000 gloves, and the vendor said they were out of stock. Not sure if my order just wasn?t big enough or if they were really out of stock.

Pretty soon disinfectant wipes/masks/gloves will be the new currency.

Thanks Qwerty. I went to Costco and I bought Toilet Paper. I saw several people have multiple that got more than 1 toilet paper package. However, there are workers that walk around the store and enforce the rule. Get there early because the TP and paper towels might run out. I went the same time as Qwerty mentioned around 10:15ish today and I was lucky enough to get toilet paper. There were only a few left. (Keep in mind I did not ask so there might be more)

One tip is that you can ask to go to the self checkout line when the worker is about to assign the cashier checkout lane.

I had to pickup a prescription medication at Costco in Tustin on El Camino ~10:30am. No line to get in. Stocked with TP, paper towels, and water. Not sure about any wipes. The line to checkout did back up to the refrigerated section due to social distancing but moved very quickly (<10 min). I was impressed that all the staff were wearing masks (and many customers as well) and gloves, they wiped down all the carts, they were socially distancing, they installed large clear barriers for the cashiers, and have a touchless pay system: they scan your member card through the glass and you can pay using your  Costco Visa card by laying it on top/near the credit card reader (no signature required). Getting a prescription was not as good: they still make you sign the pad to accept the medication and push the pad to process my HSA debit card. While walking out, they don't touch your receipt but have you hold it up for inspection near a clear barrier wall. They exemplify best practices for retail shopping.

Costco #1
Porto?s # 1A :)

Yeah when I was at Costco pretty much al the shoppers were wearing masks.

So it seems a good rule to follow here for Coscto and other stores is to get there about half an hour to an hour after it opens in the morning to avoid lines but still get the "precious" stuff.

irvinehomeowner said:
So it seems a good rule to follow here for Coscto and other stores is to get there about half an hour to an hour after it opens in the morning to avoid lines but still get the "precious" stuff.

I'm stocked for another 3-4 weeks on food that I would like to eat, then I'd have to move into the canned good territory and I don't have much of that...are people still making weekly food/TP runs?  I don't plan on leaving the house for the rest of April, except maybe to walk around the block and to grab the mail every few days.

I only get my mail on Monday mornings before the mailman comes for the day.  That way, the mail has been sitting untouched in the box for at least 48 hours. 

akkord said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I'm stocked for another 3-4 weeks on food that I would like to eat, then I'd have to move into the canned good territory and I don't have much of that...are people still making weekly food/TP runs?  I don't plan on leaving the house for the rest of April, except maybe to walk around the block and to grab the mail every few days.

It's not that crowded early morning at the grocery stores and later mornings at the Costcos... wear a mask, disinfect, wash your hands and practice safe social distancing and you should be fine.

I use these "essential" excursions to get away from the stir craziness of staying at home but make sure I reduce as much exposure as I can when out (as are most others I see out and about).

We also do quite a bit of takeout to support our local restaurants, so it's interesting to see the measures they have put in place to ensure safety.

There are no new regulations for restaurants. As far as I know of.
Such as: are the required to wear a mask or gloves?

This is the reason why we prepare our food at home.

eyephone said:

Before Coronavirus Taco Bell and Wendy?s food preparers all wore gloves. It was hit or miss. I would think standard practice now would be for all restaurant workers to were gloves. I could see some customers getting turned off by not workers not wearing gloves.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

Before Coronavirus Taco Bell and Wendy?s food preparers all wore gloves. It was hit or miss. I would think standard practice now would be for all restaurant workers to were gloves. I could see some customers getting turned off by not workers not wearing gloves.

It should be, but it is not required.
I rather not take the risk.
I think in the city of LA area for essential business people are required to wear masks. How about Orange County? Probably not

eyephone said:

Each one is different. For the bigger chains, if you are part of their email list, they tell you what they are doing to stay safe. You can also go to their website.

For the smaller ones, if you know the owner or the manager, you can ask them. One recent small family-owned place we went to doesn't even let people inside, they have a table set up outside and then have gloves and masks on when they give you your food.

I know it's risky, but at the same time, we need to help support businesses.

Most Costcos seem to have an ample supply of TP now.

It?s interesting to see how their safety protocols have evolved. There used to be just a plexiglass in front of the cashier area, now it?s across the whole entire conveyer belt and extend to the post product area after the cashier.

Back