Closet Organizers/Systems Recommendation?

Not sure if you have ever used those shoe racks that hang from wire shelves but I am assuming the Rubbermaid product is close to it and those can hold a good amount of shoes.

I don't think you have to worry too much about weight as it's distributed across the stuff you have hanging now.

Everyone has their priorities on what to spend but for me, I've never made a decision to buy a home based on the closet organizer. It's nice if it has one... but there are other things that $3000 can do to make a home more attractive to me... mirrored wardrobe doors in the bedrooms (and the master), upgraded door hardware, paint etc etc.

EDIT: Have not seen them in Target. Maybe Lowes... but I think that's the Homefree series. The Max Closet Helper may only be online or at certain stores.

bones said:
@IHO - I just looked at the Rubbermaid stuff online and watched some cheesy youtube videos.  How sturdy is this stuff?  It doesn't bolt into the wall right?  Just clamps onto the existing shelf?  Trying to get an idea of how much weight it can hold.  Will probably go check it out this wknd - apparently Target carries it?

I think I saw some actual samples on Home Depot before.  Quality and selection wise, I think Elfa is still way much better but I haven't really looked closely on the Rubbermaid stuff ..

When you have the IHO view lot... you want mirrors ALL over your home.

Those mirrored doors on the master closets aren't standard on $1m+ homes? Boo.

Tyler Durden said:
Ironically the mirrored doors were something that one of the builders told me is not popular in Irvine. Something about being bad luck seeing your reflection when you first wake up?  Not sure if he was referring to some feng shui thing or what.

It's feng shui, you can't have mirror facing the bed. 

"A mirror facing the bed directly depletes your personal energy when you need it the most: at nighttime when your body is doing most of its repair work. A mirror facing your bed is also said to bring the energy of the third party into your intimate relationship."
http://fengshui.about.com/od/Bedroo...oom-Tips-Gallery/Feng-Shui-Bed-Mirror-Tip.htm

So no mirrored ceiling qwerty, it might bring a third party into your intimate relationship.  M?nage ? trois?

bones said:
Ok so I've done some closet pricing out and this is what I came up with.  My closet is actually 11.5 feet by 7 feet so I overestimated a bit in my above posts.  It's your regular run-of-the-mill rectangular room.

1. Cabinets Plus - Contacted the Irvine office on Duryea.  They sent a designer out to the model to meet with me.  I asked for the most basic (read: cheap) closet system they offer so it has no backing, uses their white MDF crap, straight edge, and no fancy trim.  Total cost for 10 drawers, tons of hang space (long and short), 6 slant shoe shelves with wood toe, tie rack, belt hang, 1 hamper plus installation came out to $3,300.

2. Container Store Elfa System - Brought the Cabinets Plus measurements and plan over to Container Store @ SCP and had them design the space as well.  Also told them to do the most basic system which for them is their ventilated mesh system (which is more of an unfinished look but works fine).  Total cost for 10 drawers, tons of hang space (long and short), 3 shoe racks, 6 shoe shelves, 2 tie racks, 2 belt things came out to $1,800.  Install is $300.  This pricing is inclusive of their current 30% ELFA promotion so total cost of $2,100.

3. Do nothing and leave the space as it.  Buy a few IKEA dressers (prob $500-600 total) and a few other closet solutions for belts/ties/shoes (prob total cost of $200).  Total cost of $800.

Decisions.  Decisions.  Need to decide soon so I can tell the builder whether or not to do a closet delete by taking out all the rods.

Have you tried Tailored Living yet.  They are part of Premiere Garage.  I'm planning to get Premiere Garage to epoxy my floor and noticed they do custom closets, pantries, and organizers as well. 

I don't know too much about Tailored Living and the quality of their work.  I'm open to anyone that's worked with them before.

Note to bones:

Wait until ZeroLot does her due diligence. She'll have at least 5 vendors vetted, personally met with, and all the materials they use will be categorized and ranked by quality.

:)

EDIT: Gender vetting.

irvinehomeowner said:
Note to bones:

Wait until ZeroLot does his due diligence. He'll have at least 5 vendors vetted, personally met with, and all the materials they use will be categorized and ranked by quality.

:)

"her"  Mr. Zerolot doesn't do vetting ...

female%2Bsymbol.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
My bad... evidently... I don't do vetting on the gender symbol... nor do I remember very well.

hehe ... no problem, I'll vet for you.  I just don't if I should be flattered that the men on this forum consider me one too  ;D

Tyler Durden said:
watch out... now qwerty will be trying to figure out what you look like in comparison to bones.

You are way behind man. I started wondering the day I realized zlot was a woman.

Back