Closet Organizers/Systems Recommendation?

I respectfully disagree with aquabliss to a point.

I've seen plenty of closet organizers, and while there are differences in thickness, backing etc... once you have clothes in it, it looks the same.

The Easy Track stuff is surprisingly very good looking... I couldn't believe it when I saw it in person because it looked like a professional install. Not to insult my buddy, but I really didn't think he could do it and he did it by himself (he claims it would have been really easy had I been around to help).

But like purses, it's up to the individual to decide what it's worth to pay. For me personally, if it's going in my closet which I hope is not on display for the world to see (unlike my living room furniture), I don't really care that it doesn't look expensive as long as it functions correctly.

@SoCal: You can order it online, but I assume you want to see it in person. At least the gas to Seal Beach isn't $3500. :)

bones said:
My new closet is like 12 feet by 9 feet so I may be able to get away with not doing anything since there's so much more space and just supplement with dressers as TD suggested.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far everyone! 

that is pretty much what my wife did. ours is 14x7 so 10 sq ft less than yours and there is so much space in there, granted to she filled most of it up, but it worked out just fine without the closet organizer. we got 6 drawer dresser in there and one of those leather storage/chest/sitting things so she could sit on and store things inside it.

I would probably have to hire a designer because my closet has two doors and is separated in the middle.  Seems like a pro could do a lot of customization to free things up as the current set up seems limited.  Maybe the two doors is to try to keep her out of my side.

Some of you don't have closets, but have additional rooms in your master by looking at some of those sizes!  :'(

I always told my wife that we would get a new closet when we lived at our old place. It had wire racks!  :-[  We lived there for five years and I was able to escape any upgrades.  I think I may have to do something at the new place.  Then again, she is just like bones and always weighs everything with getting a purse or [insert other object here]

Yeah.... I guess closet aesthetics aren't a priority for me. If it was my closet (let's face it fellas, the master closet is the wife's closet), I wouldn't mind the wired organizer.

irvinehomeowner said:
Yeah.... I guess closet aesthetics aren't a priority for me. If it was my closet (let's face it fellas, the master closet is the wife's closet), I wouldn't mind the wired organizer.

What's a Master closet? LOL  :eek:

aquabliss said:
I did the master closet in my condo with Cabinets Plus.  I was a bit weary of them at first as I wasn't too impressed with their designer, but they ended up exceeding my expectations.  Their materials and installation are great - very high quality.  I still remember the installer (I think his name was Henry) did such an amazing job and asking me questions making sure I was satisfied with everything.  Anything I didn't care for they would fix or change without grumbling.

I'm now selling my condo and sad to let the closet go with it, but I have no doubt it will serve as a selling point and differentiate me from other units of the same size that are on the market. 

If I had enough money I'd use them to do my garage and office as well, perhaps when I get my new home.  I attached an image - I believe cost was around $3,500.  Sounded expensive at first but I think it was worth it.  This made may closet look WAY bigger than it did originally (since we put shelving almost up to the ceiling), and added a lot of storage as well.

I also met a Henry on my initial visit to their showroom, he's great to work with and we are very impressed with him.  We are going back to him in few weeks for our closet and office.

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
$3500!!! Whoah.

I know decisions decisions.  $4k gets me a nice chanel flap.  $6k gets me that hermes purse I've been eyeing.  So to do closet or not to do closet, that is the question.

You'll need a nice closet cabinet to park all those nice bags.  And if you are anything like Mrs lnc, you will soon running out of space for bags.

irvinehomeowner said:
I respectfully disagree with aquabliss to a point.

I've seen plenty of closet organizers, and while there are differences in thickness, backing etc... once you have clothes in it, it looks the same.

The Easy Track stuff is surprisingly very good looking... I couldn't believe it when I saw it in person because it looked like a professional install. Not to insult my buddy, but I really didn't think he could do it and he did it by himself (he claims it would have been really easy had I been around to help).

But like purses, it's up to the individual to decide what it's worth to pay. For me personally, if it's going in my closet which I hope is not on display for the world to see (unlike my living room furniture), I don't really care that it doesn't look expensive as long as it functions correctly.

@SoCal: You can order it online, but I assume you want to see it in person. At least the gas to Seal Beach isn't $3500. :)

Pardon my ignorance on construction, but didn't your friend have to rip out the standard closet install first??  Then he would need to reprep the wall before installing the easy track?

bones said:
Some builders will let u do a closet delete so no rod setup exists. Makes it easier to DIY a track type system.

We tried to get William Lyon not to install the shelves so we could do the organizer and they wouldn't  do it. Turns out they saved me 3-4k. Thank you!  What they did do is upgrade 3 standard size toilets to elongated ones. It should be illegal to make standard size toilets.

I would pick (3) and buy 1 or 2 of those Rubbermaid Max Closet Add-Ons.

They are only $90 each and should give you enough storage spaces... but I'm a guy. We don't hang clothes unless it's on a hook or a chair.

i would go with 1 or 3. you have plenty of hanging space as is.  closet organizers are nice to see but dont add any value to a house in my opinion. dont get ikea stuff if it needs to be assembled. that stuff is horrible to assemble.

If you are going to live at this home for a while, I would go with #1.  Otherwise just do #3 and save the money for your Brookfied La Vita home.

bones said:
Ok so I've done some closet pricing out and this is what I came up with.  My closet is actually 11.5 feet by 7 feet so I overestimated a bit in my above posts.  It's your regular run-of-the-mill rectangular room.

1. Cabinets Plus - Contacted the Irvine office on Duryea.  They sent a designer out to the model to meet with me.  I asked for the most basic (read: cheap) closet system they offer so it has no backing, uses their white MDF crap, straight edge, and no fancy trim.  Total cost for 10 drawers, tons of hang space (long and short), 6 slant shoe shelves with wood toe, tie rack, belt hang, 1 hamper plus installation came out to $3,300.

2. Container Store Elfa System - Brought the Cabinets Plus measurements and plan over to Container Store @ SCP and had them design the space as well.  Also told them to do the most basic system which for them is their ventilated mesh system (which is more of an unfinished look but works fine).  Total cost for 10 drawers, tons of hang space (long and short), 3 shoe racks, 6 shoe shelves, 2 tie racks, 2 belt things came out to $1,800.  Install is $300.  This pricing is inclusive of their current 30% ELFA promotion so total cost of $2,100.

3. Do nothing and leave the space as it.  Buy a few IKEA dressers (prob $500-600 total) and a few other closet solutions for belts/ties/shoes (prob total cost of $200).  Total cost of $800.

Decisions.  Decisions.  Need to decide soon so I can tell the builder whether or not to do a closet delete by taking out all the rods.

I'm still in the designing process with Cabinets Plus.  My contact is Milenka.  I'm trying to keep everything under $5000 (with master bedroom closet, kids walk-in closet, bathroom shelf, small garage organizer, and the walk-in pantry.)

I looked into EasyTrack  too.  Looks nice but is kind of pricey once it gets into the higher end organization choices.

Either way I think a closet delete will give you more options.  My friend just took us shopping with them for the Algot System at Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/secondary_storage/11466/

They are ripping out all the rods and shelving and patching up the drywall to install in this system.

My vote is for option #4.  If you are not happy with the current closet setup, might as well delete it so you have the option to customize your own, even if it's with your own drawers and/or IKEA or Container Store systems.

Back