Can Irvine become too Asian?

MovingOnUp said:
As IHS coldly put it...they (1st gen asians who are generally the unfriendly people) look at you as the gardener, handyman, painter.  The only way they would care if your pipi was bigger is if it meant you could cut their grass faster or cheaper. And for the asians in irvine (mostly korean/chinese), they don't consider filipino (total guess) as one of their own.

As most posters stated here loudly. They are willing and happily to pay extra taxes and fees to live in Irvine because this is a way to keep the Blacks and Mexican away from this city and schools. They endorse and are happy to see cops stopping them, questioning them, violating their civil liberty just so this illegal intimidation tactic can deter crime. Qwerty, you may think you snatched one of them but in their head your pipi is way larger that your brain.

i was a little concerned when i read this

irvinehomeshopper said:
Qwerty, May I eat your dog?

until i read this, thank goodness you clarified.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I mean your four legged dog. In my culture your pet is my snack.

irvinehomeshopper said:
MovingOnUp said:
As IHS coldly put it...they (1st gen asians who are generally the unfriendly people) look at you as the gardener, handyman, painter.  The only way they would care if your pipi was bigger is if it meant you could cut their grass faster or cheaper. And for the asians in irvine (mostly korean/chinese), they don't consider filipino (total guess) as one of their own.

As most posters stated here loudly. They are willing and happily to pay extra taxes and fees to live in Irvine because this is a way to keep the Blacks and Mexican away from this city and schools. They endorse and are happy to see cops stopping them, questioning them, violating their civil liberty just so this illegal intimidation tactic can deter crime. Qwerty, you may think you snatched one of them but in their head your pipi is way larger that your brain.

they can think what they want, but they would be surprised how much money that little brain in my big head generates. just a good old little cpa from the barrio

Patrick J. Star said:
I feel compelled to say this because I am reading too much stereotyping here. 

stereotypes are created from the truth. for the record, i have nothing against asians. my closest friends include black, white, hispanic and asian.  the only color i care about is green.

Speaking of "too asian", has DJ Plaza officially become ghetto?

Just got back from there, picked up some tea, and saw a huge green loogi fly off the deck in front of 85 Degrees. Some "asian kids" were smoking up there and chuckling the whole time.

Happy New Year TI!

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
MovingOnUp said:

they can think what they want, but they would be surprised how much money that little brain in my big head generates. just a good old little cpa from the barrio

You may want to put your other big "brain" to work. I heard they pay big bucks at Chatsworth!

irvinehomeshopper said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
MovingOnUp said:

You may want to put your other big "brain" to work. I heard they pay big bucks at Chatsworth!

i said i was mexican, not black ;-)

i used to have a client in van nuys and the office space next door had no signage and blacked out windows, you couldnt see inside at all. at times while going out to lunch or leaving for the day i would see these very attractive women coming in/out - im guessing they were earning some big bucks in there.

Now here's an Asian (really an American) that I admire:
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-gordon-hirabayashi-20120105,0,2488184.story

Gordon Hirabayashi, who was convicted for defying the evacuation and internment of Japanese Americans on the West Coast during World War II and, four decades later, not only cleared his name but helped prove that the government had falsified the reasons for the mass incarceration, has died. He was 93.

Hirabayashi, who had Alzheimer's disease and other ailments, died Monday in Edmonton, Alberta, where he had lived for many years, said his son, Jay.

The elder Hirabayashi was one of only three Japanese Americans who refused to comply with Executive Order 9066, signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in February 1942. The order gave military authorities the power to restrict the freedom of thousands of people of Japanese ancestry on the West Coast in the wake of Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor two months earlier.

Opposing his family's wishes and incurring criticism from other Japanese Americans for "rocking the boat," Hirabayashi resisted the order and was arrested and convicted in 1942 for violating a curfew and refusing to enter a relocation camp. He spent more than two years in several prisons and took his case to the U.S. Supreme Court, which in 1943 ruled against him and upheld the government's argument that the restrictions were a military necessity.

He never portrayed himself as a hero, his son said. Nor did he view himself as a radical. "I was not one of those angry young rebels, looking for a cause. I was one of those trying to make some sense of this, trying to come up with an explanation," he told the Associated Press in 2000.

It took more than 40 years to reopen his case, but Hirabayashi eventually savored victory.

"What Gordon should be most remembered for is taking a stand on a matter of principle at a time when hardly anyone ? not only within the Japanese American community but the nation at large ? sided with him or sympathized with him," said Peter H. Irons, a retired UC San Diego political scientist whose research in the 1980s helped lay the legal foundation for the overturning of the convictions. "It wasn't at all like the civil rights movement where thousands of people engaged in demonstrations and civil disobedience. It was a very lonely stand."

Hirabayashi was the last surviving member of the trio of men who were convicted of violating the federal order. The other two were Minoru Yasui, who died in 1986, and Fred Korematsu, who died in 2005. Hirabayashi was also the only one of the three to receive a full trial when the cases were reopened in the 1980s.

Born in Seattle on April 23, 1918, Hirabayashi was the son of an immigrant truck farmer who arrived from Japan in 1907. His father, a pacifist who converted to Christianity in Japan in a sect influenced by the Quakers, instilled in him the importance of standing up for his beliefs.

He was a senior at the University of Washington in 1942 when the curfew and evacuation orders were imposed. At first he obeyed the 8 p.m. curfew. But one night, as he left his Caucasian classmates at the library to hurry back to his dorm, the injustice of the restrictions suddenly hit him. That realization deepened when the evacuation was announced. He opposed it on the grounds that it violated the 5th Amendment, which prohibits the seizure of property and rights without due process of law.

After his conviction, he hitchhiked to one of the prisons, in Arizona, when the government said it could not afford to transport him there, his son said. In 1999, the area once occupied by the prison in Arizona's Catalina Mountains was named the Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Site.

After the war, Hirabayashi returned to the University of Washington, where he earned his master's and doctoral degrees in sociology. He taught at American University in Cairo for a few years before moving to Canada in 1960 to join the University of Alberta faculty. He chaired its sociology department for seven years and retired in 1983.

By then Irons, who was a lawyer as well as a professor, had launched a campaign to press for rehearings of the cases against Hirabayashi, Korematsu and Yasui. The latter two men were cleared in separate court actions in 1983 and 1984.

In 1986 Judge Donald G. Voorhees of the U.S. district court in Seattle ruled that the government had withheld from the U.S. Supreme Court in 1943 critical information that might have led the high court to strike down the legal foundations of the internment. Specifically, he found that the government suppressed a report by Lt. Gen. John L. DeWitt, who was in charge of the internment, stating that racial reasons made it impossible for military authorities to determine who was loyal and disloyal. In finding federal misconduct, Voorhees invalidated Hirabayashi's 1942 conviction.

In the wake of Voorhees' ruling, Congress approved legislation providing $1.2 billion in reparations to Japanese American internees.

"As fine a document as the Constitution is," Hirabayashi told The Times on the eve of his legal victory, "it is nothing but a scrap of paper if citizens are not willing to defend it."

In addition to his son, Jay, he is survived by his wife, Susan Carnahan; two daughters, Marion Oldenburg and Sharon Yuen; a sister, Esther Furugori; a brother, James; nine grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. He was divorced from his first wife, Esther, who died several hours after Hirabayashi's death.

It's funny but I missed the part where he attended a pre-school with a waiting list, went on to University High, and then an Ivy, making his parents proud by earning boatloads of money as a lawyer/doctor/accountant.

Liar Loan said:
In addition to his son, Jay, he is survived by his wife, Susan Carnahan; two daughters, Marion Oldenburg and Sharon Yuen; a sister, Esther Furugori; a brother, James; nine grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. He was divorced from his first wife, Esther, who died several hours after Hirabayashi's death.
I'm making some assumptions here,  but those surnames don't sound very Asian... proving my earlier post that there will always be non-Asians running around Irvine looking for spouses :D .  And Gordon is a 2nd Gen Japanese... I think this thread is concerned more about more "Asian" Asians (does that make sense?).

In responding the Liar Loan's post I regret to see almost all Asians today are not like Hirabayashi and they fall consistently into his concluding statement chasing after status, materialism and zipcode.

Susan Carnahan is Gordon Hirabayashi's 2nd wife.  His first wife was Esther Schmoe, with whom he had 2 daughters and 1 son.  About 10 hours after Gordon Hirabayashi's death, his ex wife Esther also passed away.

momopi said:
Susan Carnahan is Gordon Hirabayashi's 2nd wife.  His first wife was Esther Schmoe, with whom he had 2 daughters and 1 son.  About 10 hours after Gordon Hirabayashi's death, his ex wife Esther also passed away.
Schmoe (and Esther for that matter) sound very non-Asian to me too.

I guess back then, Asian men were seen as "exotic" by non-Asian women.

I don't think that's the case nowadays... as it seems everyone on TI thinks Asian men equals smaller... uh... feet.

irvinehomeowner said:
momopi said:
Schmoe (and Esther for that matter) sound very non-Asian to me too.

I guess back then, Asian men were seen as "exotic" by non-Asian women.

I don't think that's the case nowadays... as it seems everyone on TI thinks Asian men equals smaller... uh... feet.

Small feet = Big Brain  ;)

Whenever i saw the advil commercial on TV, I was reminded of Asian men...

"Small, Yellow, Different."

o_o  I find it interesting that the men here are more "size queens" than women.

If you have issues with your size, go get an enlargement surgery.  And if you're so well hung that when you sit at a park bench, joggers trip over it, you can go get a reduction surgery.

Baby Irvine said:
Let me answer this question, "Can Irvine become too Asian?" If a previous hardcore Irvine fan Socal78 (the founder of TalkIrvine) left Irvine to buy a home elsewhere... the answer is YES.. Irvine is becoming ridiculously TOO ASIAN that even Panda wouldn't feel comfortable living there today.

LOL. Not sure how I missed this one. I agree with the previous commenter regarding how the atmosphere has changed. When they began ripping out the strawberry fields to build high-density housing, that started to kill my love for Irvine big-time! Twelve years ago when I first moved to the Tustin / Irvine area, I dreamed of one day living or owning in Irvine. Now? Blech. It's not a dream at all. The way the landscape has transformed is a big let-down. It was way more than just the demographics.  That, the lack of value, the sardine-can-housing, the over-hyped schools, and sure - living in a brand new community in east Irvine where I felt like a total outsider. There were a lot of factors, not just the huge Asian population in that area. Having lived in South OC for 6 months now, I love it here. To me, this is much more along the lines of what a neighborhood should be. We have real yards. Good schools. Awesome shopping. The homes are not built one on top of another yet we still have amenities, which was one of the things I did like about Irvine. There are also lots of different kinds of people here unlike what I saw during my time in east Irvine. The other day we were taking a drive down the 133 South. It had been months since I had left my area (don't need to because everything you could possibly need is here!) We were on that stretch that overlooks the area between Portola Parkway & Irvine Blvd except I have no sense of direction and didn't know where we were. All I saw were these eyesores of new, gigantic apartment complexes. I asked my husband, "What is THAT?!?" It was so different from what I'm accustomed to now. He pointed out that we were looking at the new Stonegate area.  Man. What a shame!!! It looks terrible! I was actually shocked. I knew they were going to be building more of the usual we've come to expect from TIC but when I finally saw it, I was really struck by the difference between that and what you'd see here up in the hills. I think over time, people become complacent and forget that the standard of living in Irvine is actually quite a bit different from what lies just outside the city in the surrounding areas. It was surely a shock to me. Anyway. Enough rambling from me. You get the picture.

Some wear brandless clothes for comfort and some would wear really uncomfortable clothes for the brand. Rather than spending $millions on improving comfort companies spent on marketing the image how cool one could become by wearing the brand. The comfortable days were long gone for Irvine. It is all about  "cool" living there.

Back