Can Irvine become too Asian?

When I first moved into Irvine, a majority of the Asian neighbors in my community never said "Hi" to me.  But after I started waving, smiling, and saying hi to them, they all started saying "Hi" and smiling back at us.

USCTrojanCPA said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:
This doesnt mean that one should completely forget who they are but things like saying hello to a neighbor, throwing trash in a trash can, caring about communal areas, respecting lines, and a general sense of courtesy can be absorbed. 

i walk my dogs twice a day, every day.  I would be rich if i got a dollar for every time i said hi and/or smile and get absolutely no response from the majority of asian people.  as if i was invisible.  white people that i come across on my walks tend to be more friendly. not sure if it is a race thing or not (i am mexican).  maybe they dont speak english and dont understand what im saying? indians are a close second.

Yes and no. Asians are racist, but they also don't say hello to each other.
Why is that?

I personally say hello to everyone. But if I had to guess, here's my theory (for koreans only) on why they're not friendly to anyone, including other asians.

1) Not fluent and are embarassed, so they don't want to encourage you to keep talking.
2) They're racist, so they may think you're going to rob/harm them.
3) koreans like to stick together.
4) With strangers, we're not a, hey let's get to know each other type culture.
5) If they're rich, they fear new people are only friends with them to try to get a loan. This defense/unfriendliness naturally carries over into the walks.
6) In general, Koreans are rude.
7) In Seoul, millions of people walk by you on a daily basis so it's impossible to say hello. That transitions here when they see you walking by even if you're the only one, minus your dog.
8. Korean pride...no korean wants to be the first to say hello/submissive to another korean/asian first.

Personally I think it's a combination of all those things that make koreans unfriendly.

I'm going to start walking directly towards Asians and force them to move out of my way then I'll move the same way they move to make them uncomfortable and really give them a reason not to smile.

qwerty said:
I'm going to start walking directly towards Asians and force them to move out of my way then I'll move the same way they move to make them uncomfortable and really give them a reason not to smile.

Try me.  :p

On a side note, the stereotype about asian women being submissive is all wrong...specifically the picture white guys have in their head from watching last samurai. That stereotype is about as realistic as the last samurai on earth being white.

When a non-asian male talks to an asian woman, and she kind of cowers, giggles, acts shy, it's not because she's embarassed because she thinks you're so damn attractive that she's in awe or that they're secondary to men. For the most part, it's her way of kindly trying to say, leave me alone...hopefully I can just giggle, not talk, and he'll leave me alone so I can walk away.

Asian women aren't just tigers with their children...you can't turn on/off a personality that strong.

MovingOnUp said:
On a side note, the stereotype about asian women being submissive is all wrong...specifically the picture white guys have in their head from watching last samurai. That stereotype is about as realistic as the last samurai on earth being white.

When a non-asian male talks to an asian woman, and she kind of cowers, giggles, acts shy, it's not because she's embarassed because she thinks you're so damn attractive that she's in awe or that they're secondary to men. For the most part, it's her way of kindly trying to say, leave me alone...hopefully I can just giggle, not talk, and he'll leave me alone so I can walk away.

Asian women aren't just tigers with their children...you can't turn on/off a personality that strong.
I've never believed in that stereotype maybe because the asian women that I dated were head-strong, stubborn, feisty, and opinionated (all characteristics that my mom has).  I'm not attracted to submissive women, I find them to be too boring and predictable.  I guess I like a challenge (or a hard time), who knows.

qwerty said:

They'll probably smile, give a friendly chuckle and continue on. The next day, you'll find them walking on the other side of the street.

Despite Irvine's increasing Asian population,
- I drive to Costa Mesa for Japanese food
- I drive to Cerritos/Rowland Heights for Chinese food
- I drive to Artesia to shop at Ranch 99
- I drive to Hawaiian Gardens to shop at Zion

If Irvine's future is an "Asian city", at least do our stomaches a favor and put better Asian restaurants and supermarkets here.

@momopi:

To be fair... you have more distinguished taste for food so you know the good and bad... not so much for everyone else.

Irvine can never be too Asian... there will always be non-Asian guys dating/marrying/familying the Asian women.

Interestingly enough... wherever I play basketball... not many Asians.

momopi said:
Despite Irvine's increasing Asian population,
- I drive to Costa Mesa for Japanese food
- I drive to Cerritos/Rowland Heights for Chinese food
- I drive to Artesia to shop at Ranch 99
- I drive to Hawaiian Gardens to shop at Zion

If Irvine's future is an "Asian city", at least do our stomaches a favor and put better Asian restaurants and supermarkets here.

Definitely agree about Chinese food (but we go to SGV).  Wife does the Korean shopping in Garden Grove...Korean food is also much better there.

I have a slightly different view.  There seems to be a lot of mix couples in Irvine...especially white/asian.  This is pretty interesting because for a long time, Asian married other Asian.  Now, I see a lot of mixed couples in Irvine.  So I think there is going to be a good mix of races in Irvine (literally).

Speaking of things becoming too asian in irvine, a close friends parents are opening a korean type sauna in Irvine...soft opening is the weekend of jan 23rd ish. However, they're trying to cater/make it friendly for non-koreans as well.

Check it out...don't know the exact name but it's somewhere on jamboree. It's the same owners as Beach Spa in Fullerton if you know what that is.

MovingOnUp said:
Speaking of things becoming too asian in irvine, a close friends parents are opening a korean type sauna in Irvine...soft opening is the weekend of jan 23rd ish. However, they're trying to cater/make it friendly for non-koreans as well.

Check it out...don't know the exact name but it's somewhere on jamboree. It's the same owners as Beach Spa in Fullerton if you know what that is.

That's awesome.  Definitely need a place like that here in Irvine.  Beach Spa is pretty good. 

Any place to get more info?  Also, make sure they have wifi :)

MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:
This doesnt mean that one should completely forget who they are but things like saying hello to a neighbor, throwing trash in a trash can, caring about communal areas, respecting lines, and a general sense of courtesy can be absorbed. 

i walk my dogs twice a day, every day.  I would be rich if i got a dollar for every time i said hi and/or smile and get absolutely no response from the majority of asian people.  as if i was invisible.  white people that i come across on my walks tend to be more friendly. not sure if it is a race thing or not (i am mexican).  maybe they dont speak english and dont understand what im saying? indians are a close second.

And never to a Mexican especially. Why do you even want to live in a place when the population think of you as a dishwasher, landscaper or laborer?

..... but but but Panda is Korean but he's not like that :)

MovingOnUp said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:

Why is that?

I personally say hello to everyone. But if I had to guess, here's my theory (for koreans only) on why they're not friendly to anyone, including other asians.

1) Not fluent and are embarassed, so they don't want to encourage you to keep talking.
5) If they're rich, they fear new people are only friends with them to try to get a loan. This defense/unfriendliness naturally carries over into the walks.
7) In Seoul, millions of people walk by you on a daily basis so it's impossible to say hello. That transitions here when they see you walking by even if you're the only one, minus your dog.
8. Korean pride...no korean wants to be the first to say hello/submissive to another korean/asian first.

Personally I think it's a combination of all those things that make koreans unfriendly.

Does the spa provides good endings like the other Irvine Spas?

MovingOnUp said:

It must be the humidity in Georgia.
Panda said:

MovingOnUp said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:

Why is that?

Irvinecommuter said:
Definitely agree about Chinese food (but we go to SGV).  Wife does the Korean shopping in Garden Grove...Korean food is also much better there.
I have a slightly different view.  There seems to be a lot of mix couples in Irvine...especially white/asian.  This is pretty interesting because for a long time, Asian married other Asian.  Now, I see a lot of mixed couples in Irvine.  So I think there is going to be a good mix of races in Irvine (literally).

I'd like to recommend Ye-Dang in La Habra, try the Galbi Jim there.

As for interracial marriages, this article comes to mind:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/07/AR2009030701841.html

=========================

In America we have this artificial division of people into White Americans, Hispanic Americans, Afro Americans, Asian Americans, and Native Americans.  Traditionally Asian ethnic groups married within their own nationality.  The Pan-Asian identity of ?Asian American? is a late 20th century invention.

In Taiwan, a Taiwanese-Cambodian couple would be considered multi-ethnic.  In America it?d be considered Asian American.  Recent trends have shown a decline in Asian and Hispanic interracial marriage rates, but an increase in Pan-Asian marriages within the Asian American community.

Panda said:

MovingOnUp said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:

Why is that?

Asian people have a more "leave me alone and I will leave you alone" view, at least from my prospective.  That's probably why Irvine fits them well. 

C'mon Trace, you know i can't answer that on TalkIrvine. If i told you that i'm already a millionaire I would be a self-absorbed, conceited, arrogant fool that Kayochan is sick of tired of meeting in the OC. We midwestern brothers can understand each other.

Regarding your real estate question. I called the county today to find what my property taxes would be for 2012, and the lady told at the tax assessor's office told me in the ball park $3200 - $3500 for the whole year? I asked her ... did you make a mistake and do i have to pay mello roos?  She answered, "I don't think so and what is mello roos? Are you sure you didn't make a mistake? Why? Do you want to pay more property taxes...? I just hung up the phone and smiled.... :)

... KIDS... Wife... We are going to the Bahamas.....

traceimage said:
Panda said:
This is exactly why I find Irvine real estate model to be so fascinating. I clearly understand  the history and the demographics shifts of Irvine from 1980s, 90s etc.
As an investor I?ve learned that something is always moving. In the currency and commodity markets, one asset is becoming more and more undervalued while another asset is becoming overvalued. We are sort of seeing this right now with the dollar rising and Swiss and Euro moving the opposite direction. One bubble pops and another bubble forms elsewhere.

As a real estate investor, if you are able to correctly predict the following in an area and invest:
1) Job growth ? entrepreneurial soil for small businesses, low taxes, many Fortune 500 companies relocating head quarters to the area.
2) Strong leadership in the city to attract technology companies and initiating to build a technology job center hub like the Irvine Spectrum.
3) Excellent public schools with high schools ranked in the top 3% in the state.
4) Upper middle class predominately white neighborhood where Asians families are starting to migrate in at a rapid pace.
5) Fastest growing population in an area. Preferrably top 3-4 state population growth and MSA city growth from census 2000 ? 2010.
6)            Homes in the area are undervalued and below rental parity. It is much cheaper to buy than to rent.

Invested wisely, you will become a millionaire in real estate in a very short of period?. Again? I emphasize only if you are correct with your predictions.

Are you a millionaire yet? Not being snarky, just wondering how the investments in Georgia are going.

And on the topic at hand...yes, definitely. Irvine is way too Asian.

Back