Can Irvine become too Asian?

Some of these fancy spas remind me of the 1980's spas in West Hollywood (Miami Vice glass blocks and plenty of neons). TIC should build these Asian spas in the rec center to attract more Asians.
momopi said:
If anyone is interested in visiting an Asian spa/sauna, you can try Diamond Family Spa in Rowland Heights:http://diamondfamilyspa.comhttp://diamondfamilyspa.com/restaurant_menu.php

The facility is so-so but they do serve food and is open 24H on weekends.

irvinehomeshopper said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:
This doesnt mean that one should completely forget who they are but things like saying hello to a neighbor, throwing trash in a trash can, caring about communal areas, respecting lines, and a general sense of courtesy can be absorbed. 

i walk my dogs twice a day, every day.  I would be rich if i got a dollar for every time i said hi and/or smile and get absolutely no response from the majority of asian people.  as if i was invisible.  white people that i come across on my walks tend to be more friendly. not sure if it is a race thing or not (i am mexican).  maybe they dont speak english and dont understand what im saying? indians are a close second.

Yes and no. Asians are racist, but they also don't say hello to each other.

And never to a Mexican especially. Why do you even want to live in a place when the population think of you as a dishwasher, landscaper or laborer?

I think I'll have that problem in most places. You don't see many Mexicans living in what are considered the Nicer/safer parts of town. Part of me always wants to move back to Redondo beach, I felt more comfortable there than I do in irvine (in terms of fitting in). Right now we live in irvine because my wife works here and has a 15 minute commute, otherwise we would still be in Redondo.

Convenience and proximity to business and family are valid reasons. Is it worth the emotional hurt being looked down on by Asians and local cops? Behind your back you know they are saying you are a "stupid Mexican" and your kid is the reason why their schools' API is not at 1,000.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:
This doesnt mean that one should completely forget who they are but things like saying hello to a neighbor, throwing trash in a trash can, caring about communal areas, respecting lines, and a general sense of courtesy can be absorbed. 

i walk my dogs twice a day, every day.  I would be rich if i got a dollar for every time i said hi and/or smile and get absolutely no response from the majority of asian people.  as if i was invisible.  white people that i come across on my walks tend to be more friendly. not sure if it is a race thing or not (i am mexican).  maybe they dont speak english and dont understand what im saying? indians are a close second.

And never to a Mexican especially. Why do you even want to live in a place when the population think of you as a dishwasher, landscaper or laborer?

I think I'll have that problem in most places. You don't see many Mexicans living in what are considered the Nicer/safer parts of town. Part of me always wants to move back to Redondo beach, I felt more comfortable there than I do in irvine (in terms of fitting in). Right now we live in irvine because my wife works here and has a 15 minute commute, otherwise we would still be in Redondo.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Convenience and proximity to business and family are valid reasons. Is it worth the emotional hurt being looked down on by Asians and local cops? Behind your back you know they are saying you are a "stupid Mexican" and your kid is the reason why their schools' API is not at 1,000.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:

I actually dont care what those asians that i encounter on the walks think. I dont care what most people think about me.  and i have never been harassed by irvine cops other than to be told to put my small 9 pound dog on leash. there is no emotional hurt, i just wish people in irvine were friendlier.  im used to being the minority, from my days at USC, to public accounting to the corporate world, part of my success in my career is due to my ability to assmiliate. also, i tower over most of the irvine asians, if not all of them, so i at least got that over them ;-)  and i took one of their woman as my wife so she doesnt have to suffer through a lifetime of small pipi's :)

Hey, the first really interesting thread on here in a while.  I spend a good deal of time walking my dogs around neighborhoods and trails in Irvine, and I usually try to interact, or at least smile and acknowledge, the people I come across.  I have meet a handful of recently immigrated Asians (just guessing based on language difficulties when chatting with them) that say hello to me or will otherwise interact.  However, I'd guess that I see four or five times as many that cross to the other side of the street/trail and refuse to make eye contact as they pass by me.  I've always been curious if that reaction was due to my dogs, or a general desire to stay the heck away from me.

Panda said:
C'mon Trace, you know i can't answer that on TalkIrvine. If i told you that i'm already a millionaire I would be a self-absorbed, conceited, arrogant fool that Kayochan is sick of tired of meeting in the OC. We midwestern brothers can understand each other.

Hello Panda,

Just to clarify.  That was not my quote.  It was from a link from bestplaces.com.

kayochan said:
A neighborhood elementary school is now 60%+ asian.  Some of the white parents have mentioned that it is getting a little "too Asian" at the school and in the neighborhood.  We had had a huge influx of Korean moms with their kids temporarily staying (usually 2 years) here in Irvine (I was told by one of the Korean parents that they advertise this specific elementary school in Korea).  Again, some of the white parents have mentioned that they may be moving out of Irvine or at least to a more mixed area of Irvine.  I even found some of the asian parents say that it is becoming "too asian" in the elementary school/neighborhood, which I thought was interesting. Any thoughts?

Whoo... I'm having a very mixed feeling about what's being said in this thread. I'm a Taiwanese American. I immigrated to the States when I was 14. I'm 32 now. I went to high school in Nashville, TN where only 0.25% of the student body was Asian. I then graduated from UCI where good 55% of the students were Asian. Having gone through these extremes, it's a bitter sweet feeling seeing this phenomenon where parents complain that there are too many Asians in Irvine.

Should I pull the racial card?  >:D Darwinism card?  8) or Economy card?  :mad:

My guts tell me that those white parents are racists and that's the end of story. Try saying that to black kids. I dare them go to any school and say that it is getting "too black." However, Asians don't have this oppressed slavery card to play so we're not sensitive about race the same way as black people are. So I'll leave it at that.

What did those parents mean when they say "too Asian?" What exactly are the implying here? Did they mean the students' hair is too dark? skin is too yellow? too much kimchi? (I love kimchi btw) too much Jay Chou? too many skinny Asians so there's not enough bodies to form a legit football or basketball team? (those are black people's sports btw, in case those white parents think their kids have a shot) or too many perfect SAT exams so they ruin the curve? Exactly which Asian country do they have a problem with or is it just all Asians?

What if I say a particular school is too white? Would an all-white school be less problematic? Ever heard of bullying and obesity? Those two issues reign supreme in your "white" schools much more so than any other school around the world. I'm not afraid to say that cuz I was bullied by white kids in high school. And guess what? I have a 6-figure income now and they work at McDonald's.

My Darwin card would of course say survival of the fittest. If more white people live in Irvine, then schools would be filled with more white kids. So the problem is why don't more white families live here? It could be that the residents don't have kids with proper age to be part of the demographics. Irvine is one of the most "single" cities around. Can you blame anyone for wanting to live in Irvine especially when they can legitimately afford it? Blame the other white parents who choose not to live in Irvine for ruining the diversity ratio.

Economics 101 would dictate that supply and demand will always shift towards an equilibrium. If anyone argues that TIC tailors the community towards Asians or specifically "Chindians", take a wild guess why the hell they would do that? It's MONEY of course with all caps. The day TIC thinks white families are a better source of revenue, they will tailor their towards them too. Again, before any ignorant parent starts announcing false problems in the community and associating negativity with Asians, check your own education level and narrow-minded perspectives.

That whole advertisement of schools to Koreans is mind boggling. How is that advertised? Why would there be an advertisement like that? Why Koreans? What's with the temporary stay? What kinda visas do these temporary residents have in order to go to school here?

Don't forget that last time I checked, USA is still a melting pot. Diversity is one of the fundamental traits of this country. If you don't like it, get out. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Quit complaining because "too Asian" is not a problem.

funkychalupa said:
kayochan said:
A neighborhood elementary school is now 60%+ asian.  Some of the white parents have mentioned that it is getting a little "too Asian" at the school and in the neighborhood.  We had had a huge influx of Korean moms with their kids temporarily staying (usually 2 years) here in Irvine (I was told by one of the Korean parents that they advertise this specific elementary school in Korea).  Again, some of the white parents have mentioned that they may be moving out of Irvine or at least to a more mixed area of Irvine.  I even found some of the asian parents say that it is becoming "too asian" in the elementary school/neighborhood, which I thought was interesting. Any thoughts?

Whoo... I'm having a very mixed feeling about what's being said in this thread. I'm a Taiwanese American. I immigrated to the States when I was 14. I'm 32 now. I went to high school in Nashville, TN where only 0.25% of the student body was Asian. I then graduated from UCI where good 55% of the students were Asian. Having gone through these extremes, it's a bitter sweet feeling seeing this phenomenon where parents complain that there are too many Asians in Irvine.

My guts tell me that those white parents are racists and that's the end of story. Try saying that to black kids. I dare them go to any school and say that it is getting "too black." However, Asians don't have this oppressed slavery card to play so we're not sensitive about race the same way as black people are. So I'll leave it at that.

What did those parents mean when they say "too Asian?" What exactly are the implying here? Did they mean the students' hair is too dark? skin is too yellow? too much kimchi? (I love kimchi btw) too much Jay Chou? too many skinny Asians so there's not enough bodies to form a legit football or basketball team? (those are black people's sports btw, in case those white parents think their kids have a shot) or too many perfect SAT exams so they ruin the curve? Exactly which Asian country do they have a problem with or is it just all Asians?

What if I say a particular school is too white? Would an all-white school be less problematic? Ever heard of bullying and obesity? Those two issues reign supreme in your "white" schools much more so than any other school around the world. I'm not afraid to say that cuz I was bullied by white kids in high school. And guess what? I have a 6-figure income now and they work at McDonald's.

My Darwin card would of course say survival of the fittest. If more white people live in Irvine, then schools would be filled with more white kids. So the problem is why don't more white families live here? It could be that the residents don't have kids with proper age to be part of the demographics. Irvine is one of the most "single" cities around. Can you blame anyone for wanting to live in Irvine especially when they can legitimately afford it? Blame the other white parents who choose not to live in Irvine for ruining the diversity ratio.

Economics 101 would dictate that supply and demand will always shift towards an equilibrium. If anyone argues that TIC tailors the community towards Asians or specifically "Chindians", take a wild guess why the hell they would do that? It's MONEY of course with all caps. The day TIC thinks white families are a better source of revenue, they will tailor their towards them too. Again, before any ignorant parent starts announcing false problems in the community and associating negativity with Asians, check your own education level and narrow-minded perspectives.

That whole advertisement of schools to Koreans is mind boggling. How is that advertised? Why would there be an advertisement like that? Why Koreans? What's with the temporary stay? What kinda visas do these temporary residents have in order to go to school here?

Don't forget that last time I checked, USA is still a melting pot. Diversity is one of the fundamental traits of this country. If you don't like it, get out. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Quit complaining because "too Asian" is not a problem.

i personally dont mind that irvine is getting, or already is, too asian.  my problem is that they dont seem to be too friendly, im not even trying to befriend them. just would like to be around courteous people who smile and say hi.  ive been to a lot of midwest cities for work and they are so friendly, everyone says hi all the time, in california in general that friendliness is not typically there.

qwerty said:
funkychalupa said:
kayochan said:

i personally dont mind that irvine is getting, or already is, too asian.  my problem is that they dont seem to be too friendly, im not even trying to befriend them. just would like to be around courteous people who smile and say hi.  ive been to a lot of midwest cities for work and they are so friendly, everyone says hi all the time, in california in general that friendliness is not typically there.

That is not true the Asian women are known to have GFE but that will cost you $250 roses.

I am Indian and agree with qwerty on the simple hello.  It doesn't matter what culture you are from or how you look...just try to learn and accept the cultures of the place you are moving to. 

My work is focused on emerging markets and I visit 20+ countries in an average year.  I always read up on local cultures and customs before going and this is for a 1-2 day visit.  Folks who are moving to Irvine or any part of the US from abroad can take a few minutes to try to learn social norms...

[/quote]

Welcome to California.  That's how it is in this materialistic state, not just Irvine.  If you want friendliness, move to another state my friend.  Frankly I don't understand your complaint about Asian being unfriendly when one of them married you.

trip said:

Welcome to California.  That's how it is in this materialistic state, not just Irvine.  If you want friendliness, move to another state my friend.  Frankly I don't understand your complaint about Asian being unfriendly when one of them married you.
[/quote]

LOL.

rkp said:
I am Indian and agree with qwerty on the simple hello.  It doesn't matter what culture you are from or how you look...just try to learn and accept the cultures of the place you are moving to. 

My work is focused on emerging markets and I visit 20+ countries in an average year.  I always read up on local cultures and customs before going and this is for a 1-2 day visit.  Folks who are moving to Irvine or any part of the US from abroad can take a few minutes to try to learn social norms...

They do learn but no one should have to accept every custom. Because they don't say hi to you doesn't mean they're not trying or don't care.  Get over yourself.

In your emerging markets business trips, I'm guessing China is a stop? If so, in a business meeting if someone older than you argues with you, will you argue back to prove you're right or stay silent? Afterwards, if they invite you over for dinner and have dog soup, dog this and that, and a bunch of other funky arse stuff, are you going to be polite and eat it all?

On your travels, do you try to learn their language so you can be fluent? Probably not. Why, because you have no intention of living there the rest of your life. Just like a lot of these immigrants may not have long term plans of staying for the rest of their lives. But then you'll argue they should go home and stop exploiting the benefits...sort of like the financial benefits you're trying to exploit from other countries.

Get over yourself and continue walking. If you want to talk, take a friend.

MovingOnUp said:
trip said:

LOL.
[/quote]

I agree. This feeling of unfriendliness is NOT limited to Irvine or even California. If you every lived in NYC and you start saying hello to random folks in the subway or sidewalk, they would probably stare at you strangely.

In an ideal world all your neighbors would know and love you, every stranger on the street will be pleasant, and everyone on the freeway will let signal before entering your lane (my big pet peeve). 

But alas that is not the case. Irvine and California has its pluses and minuses. Learn to love what is great and live with what is not.

iacrenter said:
MovingOnUp said:
trip said:

LOL.

I agree. This feeling of unfriendliness is NOT limited to Irvine or even California. If you every lived in NYC and you start saying hello to random folks in the subway or sidewalk, they would probably stare at you strangely.

In an ideal world all your neighbors would know and love you, every stranger on the street will be pleasant, and everyone on the freeway will let signal before entering your lane (my big pet peeve). 

But alas that is not the case. Irvine and California has its pluses and minuses. Learn to love what is great and live with what is not.

I want to live here but I would be concerned since it's a single industry world

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zum9_pXpftc[/youtube]

trip said:

Frankly I don't understand your complaint about Asian being unfriendly when one of them married you.
[/quote]

because my wife is not like the asians im describing.  if she was i would not have married her. she was born in the US and very americanized just happens to be asian.

iacrenter said:
MovingOnUp said:
trip said:

LOL.
If you every lived in NYC and you start saying hello to random folks in the subway or sidewalk, they would probably stare at you strangely.

[/quote]

ive been to NYC and i agree, but i think this is an apples and oranges comparison. Im talking about a residential neighborhood, where you may encounter 2-4 people on your entire route. these are your neighbors not one of tens of thousands of people you walk by on your way to work.

Back