Can Irvine become too Asian?

But alas that is not the case. Irvine and California has its pluses and minuses. Learn to love what is great and live with what is not.

Learn to love what is great...

Iacrenter... I have to admit, I was a little jealous when you said that you were making sand castles at the beach with kids on new years day. :)

IHO... I know overall Socal's weather is better than Atlanta's weather... but we averaged in the 60s in December and it is 65 degrees today in January... Give the Panda some credit here man :)    By the way.... Panda doesn't know how to HATE..... He only knows how to LOVE :)

I've heard from the grapevine that the Asians who live in the Coca Coca land are extremely friendly and nice.....  :)

Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
MovingOnUp said:
trip said:
i personally dont mind that irvine is getting, or already is, too asian.  my problem is that they dont seem to be too friendly, im not even trying to befriend them. just would like to be around courteous people who smile and say hi.  ive been to a lot of midwest cities for work and they are so friendly, everyone says hi all the time, in california in general that friendliness is not typically there.

Welcome to California.  That's how it is in this materialistic state, not just Irvine.  If you want friendliness, move to another state my friend.  Frankly I don't understand your complaint about Asian being unfriendly when one of them married you.

LOL.

I agree. This feeling of unfriendliness is NOT limited to Irvine or even California. If you every lived in NYC and you start saying hello to random folks in the subway or sidewalk, they would probably stare at you strangely.

In an ideal world all your neighbors would know and love you, every stranger on the street will be pleasant, and everyone on the freeway will let signal before entering your lane (my big pet peeve). 

But alas that is not the case. Irvine and California has its pluses and minuses. Learn to love what is great and live with what is not.

I want to live here but I would be concerned since it's a single industry world

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zum9_pXpftc[/youtube]

MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:
I am Indian and agree with qwerty on the simple hello.  It doesn't matter what culture you are from or how you look...just try to learn and accept the cultures of the place you are moving to. 

My work is focused on emerging markets and I visit 20+ countries in an average year.  I always read up on local cultures and customs before going and this is for a 1-2 day visit.  Folks who are moving to Irvine or any part of the US from abroad can take a few minutes to try to learn social norms...

They do learn but no one should have to accept every custom. Because they don't say hi to you doesn't mean they're not trying or don't care.  Get over yourself.

In your emerging markets business trips, I'm guessing China is a stop? If so, in a business meeting if someone older than you argues with you, will you argue back to prove you're right or stay silent? Afterwards, if they invite you over for dinner and have dog soup, dog this and that, and a bunch of other funky arse stuff, are you going to be polite and eat it all?

On your travels, do you try to learn their language so you can be fluent? Probably not. Why, because you have no intention of living there the rest of your life. Just like a lot of these immigrants may not have long term plans of staying for the rest of their lives. But then you'll argue they should go home and stop exploiting the benefits...sort of like the financial benefits you're trying to exploit from other countries.

Get over yourself and continue walking. If you want to talk, take a friend.

I don't get why you write "get over yourself".  I never said I am better than anyone or thinking so high of myself. 

I wrote earlier that its many social norms and customs and saying "hi" is just one example.  And I never implied it means they care or not.  To use your example, if dog was served to me in China, I wouldnt say how horrible the custom was and how crazy the people are.  I would politely refuse.  Actually, I get annoyed at Americans tourists constantly putting down what they see and comparing everything back to America.  The point is respect where you are and try to understand and learn about the norms, culture, etc.

qwerty said:
iacrenter said:
MovingOnUp said:
trip said:
i personally dont mind that irvine is getting, or already is, too asian.  my problem is that they dont seem to be too friendly, im not even trying to befriend them. just would like to be around courteous people who smile and say hi.  ive been to a lot of midwest cities for work and they are so friendly, everyone says hi all the time, in california in general that friendliness is not typically there.

Welcome to California.  That's how it is in this materialistic state, not just Irvine.  If you want friendliness, move to another state my friend.  Frankly I don't understand your complaint about Asian being unfriendly when one of them married you.

LOL.
If you every lived in NYC and you start saying hello to random folks in the subway or sidewalk, they would probably stare at you strangely.

ive been to NYC and i agree, but i think this is an apples and oranges comparison. Im talking about a residential neighborhood, where you may encounter 2-4 people on your entire route. these are your neighbors not one of tens of thousands of people you walk by on your way to work.

All the concerns over your neighbors' friendliness are valid. But what's that have to do with schools being too Asian? Are we talking about unfriendly parents or kids? Are these concerning parents complaining about the parents being too Asian or the fact that their kids are befriending too many Asians? To me, that's two related but different issues.

Now to comment on Asians' friendliness overall, it really varies by country. Their original cultures come with them when they arrive to the States. They take time to blend into America's culture. Different backgrounds blend at different pace. Some not at all even. I'd agree that it is reasonable to expect everyone to adapt to local culture if you move there. However, some Asians don't adapt as quickly or easily as you would hope. Hence the cultural differences.

On the flip side, I have also been asked a few times in my adult life by white people: "wow, you people speak English too?" or "What are you, Korean? Chinese? Japanese?" I don't know about you guys but I could careless if people like that say "hi" to me during casual encounters. Friendliness is trumped by stereotypical behaviors any day anywhere.

This is not just Irvine, LA, SF, NY, or Rapid Freaking City South Dakota. It's everywhere in the USA. It goes both ways my friends.

All I can say is take some extra time to embrace instead of hate. Learn why Japanese apologizes first before anything but won't admit invading half of Asia 70 years ago. Learn why Koreans see women as lower social class than men but have awesome bbq and cheaper, better quality veggies and fruits than any US supermarkets. Learn why Taiwanese has the best bakery and beef noodle around but drive like maniacs. Learn why Indians continue to get jobs while the job market goes to shit but make lousy tech support. Learn why you have strengths and shortcomings before criticizing any neighborhood being "too Asian".

Reactions: rkp
funkychalupa said:
qwerty said:
iacrenter said:
MovingOnUp said:
trip said:

LOL.
If you every lived in NYC and you start saying hello to random folks in the subway or sidewalk, they would probably stare at you strangely.

ive been to NYC and i agree, but i think this is an apples and oranges comparison. Im talking about a residential neighborhood, where you may encounter 2-4 people on your entire route. these are your neighbors not one of tens of thousands of people you walk by on your way to work.

All the concerns over your neighbors' friendliness are valid. But what's that have to do with schools being too Asian? Are we talking about unfriendly parents or kids? Are these concerning parents complaining about the parents being too Asian or the fact that their kids are befriending too many Asians? To me, that's two related but different issues.

i dont even have kids so i wouldnt know anything about schools being too asian, i was just making a general observation about the general lack of friendliness, or lack thereof, of people i encounter on my dog walks, and most of them happen to be asian. i was just curious if that was how they generally are or if it was a race thing like i said before.  I think the overall sense of community is stronger when people tend to be friendlier to each other, which is why i felt more comfortable in redondo.

rkp said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:
I am Indian and agree with qwerty on the simple hello.  It doesn't matter what culture you are from or how you look...just try to learn and accept the cultures of the place you are moving to. 

My work is focused on emerging markets and I visit 20+ countries in an average year.  I always read up on local cultures and customs before going and this is for a 1-2 day visit.  Folks who are moving to Irvine or any part of the US from abroad can take a few minutes to try to learn social norms...

They do learn but no one should have to accept every custom. Because they don't say hi to you doesn't mean they're not trying or don't care.  Get over yourself.

In your emerging markets business trips, I'm guessing China is a stop? If so, in a business meeting if someone older than you argues with you, will you argue back to prove you're right or stay silent? Afterwards, if they invite you over for dinner and have dog soup, dog this and that, and a bunch of other funky arse stuff, are you going to be polite and eat it all?

On your travels, do you try to learn their language so you can be fluent? Probably not. Why, because you have no intention of living there the rest of your life. Just like a lot of these immigrants may not have long term plans of staying for the rest of their lives. But then you'll argue they should go home and stop exploiting the benefits...sort of like the financial benefits you're trying to exploit from other countries.

I don't get why you write "get over yourself".  I never said I am better than anyone or thinking so high of myself. 

I wrote earlier that its many social norms and customs and saying "hi" is just one example.  And I never implied it means they care or not.  To use your example, if dog was served to me in China, I wouldnt say how horrible the custom was and how crazy the people are.  I would politely refuse.  Actually, I get annoyed at Americans tourists constantly putting down what they see and comparing everything back to America.  The point is respect where you are and try to understand and learn about the norms, culture, etc.

Practice what you preach. Gather your entire family...wife, mom, dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, kids and grill a nice juicy bacon burger for all.

Btw, refusing food that was prepared for you in many cultures is considered rude, no matter how polite you are about it.

MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:

Practice what you preach. Gather your entire family...wife, mom, dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, kids and grill a nice juicy bacon burger for all.
arent you assuming that RKP is Hindu? I think the not eating meat is a religious thing vs an indian thing (although i think most indians happen to be hindu).  also, that is not the best example, were just talking about a simple hi, hello, etc

Panda said:
IHO... I know overall Socal's weather is better than Atlanta's weather... but we averaged in the 60s in December and it is 65 degrees today in January... Give the Panda some credit here man :)
It's been 80s over here... no credit for you!

PS: No Panda in Irvine means 4 less Asians for all you Asian-haters.  :-X

qwerty said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:

arent you assuming that RKP is Hindu? I think the not eating meat is a religious thing vs an indian thing (although i think most indians happen to be hindu).  also, that is not the best example, were just talking about a simple hi, hello, etc

Ok, here's a easier example. Pretend you moved to Texas. Would your first stop be the boot barn to buy some boots, spurs, and a cowboy hat? Will your ipod playlist change to all country music? Will you buy a Ford/Chevy truck and back it into parking spots? Start smoking cigarettes? Will the way you talk/vocabulary change?

And then when the locals point out you're an outsider and different, it's you that needs to change right? Or do they need to stop being full of themselves and not worry about it? Can you drop your habits that quickly?  Get over yourself and don't worry about them. Why do you even want to say hello to people who don't care to talk to you?

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Convenience and proximity to business and family are valid reasons. Is it worth the emotional hurt being looked down on by Asians and local cops? Behind your back you know they are saying you are a "stupid Mexican" and your kid is the reason why their schools' API is not at 1,000.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:
This doesnt mean that one should completely forget who they are but things like saying hello to a neighbor, throwing trash in a trash can, caring about communal areas, respecting lines, and a general sense of courtesy can be absorbed. 

i walk my dogs twice a day, every day.  I would be rich if i got a dollar for every time i said hi and/or smile and get absolutely no response from the majority of asian people.  as if i was invisible.  white people that i come across on my walks tend to be more friendly. not sure if it is a race thing or not (i am mexican).  maybe they dont speak english and dont understand what im saying? indians are a close second.

Yes and no. Asians are racist, but they also don't say hello to each other.

And never to a Mexican especially. Why do you even want to live in a place when the population think of you as a dishwasher, landscaper or laborer?

I think I'll have that problem in most places. You don't see many Mexicans living in what are considered the Nicer/safer parts of town. Part of me always wants to move back to Redondo beach, I felt more comfortable there than I do in irvine (in terms of fitting in). Right now we live in irvine because my wife works here and has a 15 minute commute, otherwise we would still be in Redondo.

I actually dont care what those asians that i encounter on the walks think. I dont care what most people think about me.  and i have never been harassed by irvine cops other than to be told to put my small 9 pound dog on leash. there is no emotional hurt, i just wish people in irvine were friendlier.  im used to being the minority, from my days at USC, to public accounting to the corporate world, part of my success in my career is due to my ability to assmiliate. also, i tower over most of the irvine asians, if not all of them, so i at least got that over them ;-)  and i took one of their woman as my wife so she doesnt have to suffer through a lifetime of small pipi's :)

As IHS coldly put it...they (1st gen asians who are generally the unfriendly people) look at you as the gardener, handyman, painter.  The only way they would care if your pipi was bigger is if it meant you could cut their grass faster or cheaper. And for the asians in irvine (mostly korean/chinese), they don't consider filipino (total guess) as one of their own.

MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:

Ok, here's a easier example. Pretend you moved to Texas. Would your first stop be the boot barn to buy some boots, spurs, and a cowboy hat? Will your ipod playlist change to all country music? Will you buy a Ford/Chevy truck and back it into parking spots? Start smoking cigarettes? Will the way you talk/vocabulary change?

And then when the locals point out you're an outsider and different, it's you that needs to change right? Or do they need to stop being full of themselves and not worry about it? Can you drop your habits that quickly?  Get over yourself and don't worry about them. Why do you even want to say hello to people who don't care to talk to you?

your examples are horrible. we are just talking about hello! not a buying whole wardrobes and cars to fit in.  i dont care to talk talk to them, they are old FOB asians, i have nothing in common with them, im just pointing out their lack of courtesy/politeness.  i would not stop and talk to them even if they said the greatest and biggest of hellos because i know there is no common ground.

MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Convenience and proximity to business and family are valid reasons. Is it worth the emotional hurt being looked down on by Asians and local cops? Behind your back you know they are saying you are a "stupid Mexican" and your kid is the reason why their schools' API is not at 1,000.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:
This doesnt mean that one should completely forget who they are but things like saying hello to a neighbor, throwing trash in a trash can, caring about communal areas, respecting lines, and a general sense of courtesy can be absorbed. 

i walk my dogs twice a day, every day.  I would be rich if i got a dollar for every time i said hi and/or smile and get absolutely no response from the majority of asian people.  as if i was invisible.  white people that i come across on my walks tend to be more friendly. not sure if it is a race thing or not (i am mexican).  maybe they dont speak english and dont understand what im saying? indians are a close second.

Yes and no. Asians are racist, but they also don't say hello to each other.

And never to a Mexican especially. Why do you even want to live in a place when the population think of you as a dishwasher, landscaper or laborer?

I think I'll have that problem in most places. You don't see many Mexicans living in what are considered the Nicer/safer parts of town. Part of me always wants to move back to Redondo beach, I felt more comfortable there than I do in irvine (in terms of fitting in). Right now we live in irvine because my wife works here and has a 15 minute commute, otherwise we would still be in Redondo.

I actually dont care what those asians that i encounter on the walks think. I dont care what most people think about me.  and i have never been harassed by irvine cops other than to be told to put my small 9 pound dog on leash. there is no emotional hurt, i just wish people in irvine were friendlier.  im used to being the minority, from my days at USC, to public accounting to the corporate world, part of my success in my career is due to my ability to assmiliate. also, i tower over most of the irvine asians, if not all of them, so i at least got that over them ;-)  and i took one of their woman as my wife so she doesnt have to suffer through a lifetime of small pipi's :)

As IHS coldly put it...they (1st gen asians who are generally the unfriendly people) look at you as the gardener, handyman, painter.  The only way they would care if your pipi was bigger is if it meant you could cut their grass faster or cheaper. And for the asians in irvine (mostly korean/chinese), they don't consider filipino (total guess) as one of their own.

like i said before, i dont care what they think, im sure a lot of them are racist and think im a gardener, i dont care. As far as filipinos go, i have a close filipino friend and he doesnt really consider himself asian.

qwerty said:
MovingOnUp said:
qwerty said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:

your examples are horrible. we are just talking about hello! not a buying whole wardrobes and cars to fit in.  i dont care to talk talk to them, they are old FOB asians, i have nothing in common with them, im just pointing out their lack of courtesy/politeness.  i would not stop and talk to them even if they said the greatest and biggest of hellos because i know there is no common ground.

You're missing the point. A simple hello to you is not so simple for them. It's easier to buy boots, a cowboy hat, download country, then it is to change behavior.

What the Pho? No  comprendo IHO san. What do mean No Panda in Irvine means 4 less Asians? You are 4X times the size i am! So wouldn't that be a wash in terms Irvine's asian population?

irvinehomeowner said:

9 deep on the quotes...I think it is about time (with all due apologies to jumpcut)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLjBkSEljg[/youtube]

qwerty said:
i have a close filipino friend and he doesnt really consider himself asian.

I consider myself Asian. Except for the minor obstacle that I was born in a white body. This is one reason I figured out it was time to leave Irvine. As one of the few white moms, I could be one of the people kayochan is referring to because we attended the same school. At back to school night, I was the only blonde woman not accompanied by an Asian husband in a sea of dark haired folks. As a tall person even for a white, I towered awkwardly over everyone, sticking out like a sore thumb. SoCal, Jr. was one of only two white kids in his class. The other did not live in the area and was only able to attend because her mom was a teacher. Coincidentally, when we moved to our new school, that other kid came, too! That would make his previous class 100% Asian. (Again, it's the same school Kayochan is referring to.) After a few years in Irvine, I began completely unidentifying with whites and noticing their idiosyncrasies more. I began not wanting to go to certain restaurants, complaining that they were "too white". Mr. SoCal can attest to the fact that when we would drive out of Irvine and stop at a red light, I'd look over to the car next to my side, see whites, lock my door, and clutch my purse. I began sort of looking down on whites, I guess you could say. I don't hate myself but I certainly didn't love being white and didn't like being the only one who was so drastically different. And I mean drastically. At times, I felt like I was in a total immersion program in another country. It can be an isolating feeling. I didn't want that for the kids either. I grew up in north O.C. and am completely accustomed to being surrounded with a good amount of Asians. That's "normal" to me. But there, there were many times I saw only one other white person... the one in the mirror.

Now I'm here in south OC where most people look like me. (That's right. You mess with me and you mess with THE WHOLE TRAILER PARK!) I don't clutch my purse anymore. Except now I feel... less special! There are still several Asians. It feels way more diverse than Irvine. I see now just how homogeneous Irvine is. My new area is more what I'm used to growing up and had in mind for where I'd like to live. I anticipate it may get more Asian as "White Flight" is still heading south of the Y. I expect it and I'm completely fine with it. I hope they bring some good new storefronts with them! We could use a few good ones here.

Panda said:
What the Pho? No  comprendo IHO san. What do mean No Panda in Irvine means 4 less Asians? You are 4X times the size i am! So wouldn't that be a wash in terms Irvine's asian population?

irvinehomeowner said:
4 times the size... but I'm Jewish.

If you go to the trail by San Gabriel River in South El Monte area, you'd meet some Charros on their horses.  The American cowboy tradition actually came from Vaqueros in Northern Mexico, which in turn takes after the Doma Vaquera traditions of medieval Spain.  There's a horse trail along the river here, and the Mexicans who live along the river keep horses.  They're very proud of their horses and keep them in excellent appearance.  If you encounter Mexican horsemen here and greet them, you?d find that they?re friendly and love to chat about their horses.

In comparison, if you take your dog to a dog park in OC and want to greet other dog others and chat about dogs, you may find the other dog owners less friendly these days.  It wasn?t like this back in the 1980s. I came to California in 1982 and back then, if you wanted to meet someone, you just go up and say hi.  Today, neighbors would purposely walk across the street to avoid greeting you when they see you wash your car in the drive way.  And before anyone start bashing Irvine, this occured in HB.

The problem goes deeper than the ?don?t talk to strangers? and ?men are creeps? mentality.  In a way it creates a vicious cycle where if a girl gives friendly greetings to a guy, the guy who is used to being ignored as a potential creep/rapist/weirdo automatically assume that she is interested in him sexually and make immediate inappropriate advances (?it worked on TV, why doesn?t it work in real life??), which in turn discourages the girl from being friendly to others in the future.

There are many nationalities of Asians, and their cultures and social norms can vary greatly depending on their backgrounds and environments.  In Taipei, the urban Taiwanese living there tend to be mistrustful of strangers; versus those living in rural areas tend to be friendlier.  The Japanese are polite and helpful to strangers in need, but you could befriend Japanese coworkers for 10 years and never get past their smiling face & be invited into their homes.  Chinese folks are indifferent / apathetic to strangers up-front, but once you befriend one, there?s a huge difference between being ?in? and being ?out?.  Once you?re ?in? the reciprocal relationship, you?d be welcomed to their homes, if you?re unemployed they?d help you find a job, and if you?re single they?d try to hook you up.

About a decade ago, when I first bought my condo in Irvine, everyone moved in at about the same time and was friendly to each other.  We all exchanged contact info in case of emergency.  But moving forward to 2007, many original residents moved and the new ones moving in were not friendly.  If I greeted my new neighbor and asked to change contact info in case of emergency, I?d get rebuffed.  To get a better response, I?d walk up to introduce myself, welcome them to the neighborhood, hand them my business card, and tell them to call me if they see my house on fire.  It?s like you have to use some PUA techniques to de-ice the introduction.

funkychalupa said:
All I can say is take some extra time to embrace instead of hate. Learn why Japanese apologizes first before anything but won't admit invading half of Asia 70 years ago. Learn why Koreans see women as lower social class than men but have awesome bbq and cheaper, better quality veggies and fruits than any US supermarkets. Learn why Taiwanese has the best bakery and beef noodle around but drive like maniacs. Learn why Indians continue to get jobs while the job market goes to shit but make lousy tech support. Learn why you have strengths and shortcomings before criticizing any neighborhood being "too Asian".

Or learn to strip driveway from houses, gang front doors off motorcourt, miniaturize the yards then increase the selling price and Asians continue to buy.

MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:
MovingOnUp said:
rkp said:

Btw, refusing food that was prepared for you in many cultures is considered rude, no matter how polite you are about it.

Qwerty, May I eat your dog? I mean your four legged dog. In my culture your pet is my snack.

Back