Can Irvine become too Asian?

I don't think white is whiny but Asians' acceptance of a lower standard allowed the developers to take advantage of them. That in term ruining it for those expecting more out of of their earned money.

The Motor Court Company said:
more Asians the better. All the whiny Caucasians can move to South County and enjoy their meaningless life there.

but you can't blame Asians because they got the dough to pay for these overpriced homes.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I don't think white is whiny but Asians' acceptance of a lower standard allowed the developers to take advantage of them. That in term ruining it for those expecting more out of of their earned money.

more Asians the better. All the whiny Caucasians can move to South County and enjoy their meaningless life there.

but you can't blame Asians because they got the dough to pay for these overpriced homes.

Money != Taste/Class

Besides, those with real money buy near the beach.

He's right. Irvine Asians are so rich they can afford to throw away $900,000 to have a 10 foot wide backyard. Nothing says powerful and rich more than "My patio furniture can't fit in my backyard easily."

IndieDev said:
He's right. Irvine Asians are so rich they can afford to throw away $900,000 to have a 10 foot wide backyard. Nothing says powerful and rich more than "My patio furniture can't fit in my backyard easily."
But that's how you make small things look bigger.  ;)

LAtoOC said:
Money != Taste/Class

Besides, those with real money buy near the beach.

Too much sun near the beach.  Preference is to buy tightly packed housing with zero yard to keep the sun out.  Don't want to get brown and wrinkly like day-laborers. 

SoCal78 said:
Baby Irvine said:
Let me answer this question, "Can Irvine become too Asian?" If a previous hardcore Irvine fan Socal78 (the founder of TalkIrvine) left Irvine to buy a home elsewhere... the answer is YES.. Irvine is becoming ridiculously TOO ASIAN that even Panda wouldn't feel comfortable living there today.

LOL. Not sure how I missed this one. I agree with the previous commenter regarding how the atmosphere has changed. When they began ripping out the strawberry fields to build high-density housing, that started to kill my love for Irvine big-time! Twelve years ago when I first moved to the Tustin / Irvine area, I dreamed of one day living or owning in Irvine. Now? Blech. It's not a dream at all. The way the landscape has transformed is a big let-down. It was way more than just the demographics.  That, the lack of value, the sardine-can-housing, the over-hyped schools, and sure - living in a brand new community in east Irvine where I felt like a total outsider. There were a lot of factors, not just the huge Asian population in that area. Having lived in South OC for 6 months now, I love it here. To me, this is much more along the lines of what a neighborhood should be. We have real yards. Good schools. Awesome shopping. The homes are not built one on top of another yet we still have amenities, which was one of the things I did like about Irvine. There are also lots of different kinds of people here unlike what I saw during my time in east Irvine. The other day we were taking a drive down the 133 South. It had been months since I had left my area (don't need to because everything you could possibly need is here!) We were on that stretch that overlooks the area between Portola Parkway & Irvine Blvd except I have no sense of direction and didn't know where we were. All I saw were these eyesores of new, gigantic apartment complexes. I asked my husband, "What is THAT?!?" It was so different from what I'm accustomed to now. He pointed out that we were looking at the new Stonegate area.  Man. What a shame!!! It looks terrible! I was actually shocked. I knew they were going to be building more of the usual we've come to expect from TIC but when I finally saw it, I was really struck by the difference between that and what you'd see here up in the hills. I think over time, people become complacent and forget that the standard of living in Irvine is actually quite a bit different from what lies just outside the city in the surrounding areas. It was surely a shock to me. Anyway. Enough rambling from me. You get the picture.

Exactly how I feel......

I take offense. Us whiny whites are perfectly capable of living meaningless lives anywhere we go.  :p I was hoping the years I spent in Irvine would... as you might put it... fulfill me but I guess the magic wasn't strong enough to work on a whiny white like me. *Cry*. All I want is to feel meaningful. Just a moment. I need to go dry my tear with a $100 bill.

SoCal78 said:
but I guess the magic wasn't strong enough to work on a whiny white like me

if the magic didnt work on a whitey, and it works on asians, does that mean whitey > asian? it must.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Asians are willing to compromise comfort for the Designer labels. The whites are happy with sweat pants from Old Navy.

You scare me. I am not joking. Guess what I was doing Saturday night? Buying pants at Old Navy - but you already knew that.

SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Asians are willing to compromise comfort for the Designer labels. The whites are happy with sweat pants from Old Navy.

You scare me. I am not joking. Guess what I was doing Saturday night? Buying pants at Old Navy - but you already knew that.

Uh Oh, with the demographic shift in Irvine, the Old Navy at the Spectrum's days are numbered.

SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Oh, Socal, we really do need to hang out! I have some Old Navy velour sweatpants that I've had for seven years, and they're still going strong. Yes, I'm quite the fashionista. Sometimes I even go wild and buy my sweatpants at the Gap.

Too many Asians can't be good. There has not been a successful historic model in America. Most cities tend to erode as a result of high Asian dominance.

traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Oh, Socal, we really do need to hang out! I have some Old Navy velour sweatpants that I've had for seven years, and they're still going strong. Yes, I'm quite the fashionista. Sometimes I even go wild and buy my sweatpants at the Gap.

Nice! We should totally get together and do some White Girl stuff: Hang out in our Old Navy sweatpants, listen to Carrie Underwood, sip diet Cokes, and then go hit up an antique store.  :)

irvinehomeshopper said:
Yeah, those Old Navy sweat pants sure are comfy.  :D

Asians love the fake antiques made in China. The dead people's possessions have bad spirit.

SoCal78 said:
traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Nice! We should totally get together and do some White Girl stuff: Hang out in our Old Navy sweatpants, listen to Carrie Underwood, sip diet Cokes, and then go hit up an antique store.  :)

I shop at Kohls myself along with the rest of the irvine chinidians...got $10 kohls cash to spend before it expires...

Reactions: rkp
Back