Can Irvine become too Asian?

SoCal78 said:
traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Asians are willing to compromise comfort for the Designer labels. The whites are happy with sweat pants from Old Navy.

You scare me. I am not joking. Guess what I was doing Saturday night? Buying pants at Old Navy - but you already knew that.

Oh, Socal, we really do need to hang out! I have some Old Navy velour sweatpants that I've had for seven years, and they're still going strong. Yes, I'm quite the fashionista. Sometimes I even go wild and buy my sweatpants at the Gap.

Nice! We should totally get together and do some White Girl stuff: Hang out in our Old Navy sweatpants, listen to Carrie Underwood, sip diet Cokes, and then go hit up an antique store.  :)

Sounds good! And we can top it off with a trip to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf for no-sugar-added Ice Blendeds.

traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Asians are willing to compromise comfort for the Designer labels. The whites are happy with sweat pants from Old Navy.

You scare me. I am not joking. Guess what I was doing Saturday night? Buying pants at Old Navy - but you already knew that.

Oh, Socal, we really do need to hang out! I have some Old Navy velour sweatpants that I've had for seven years, and they're still going strong. Yes, I'm quite the fashionista. Sometimes I even go wild and buy my sweatpants at the Gap.

Nice! We should totally get together and do some White Girl stuff: Hang out in our Old Navy sweatpants, listen to Carrie Underwood, sip diet Cokes, and then go hit up an antique store.  :)

Sounds good! And we can top it off with a trip to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf for no-sugar-added Ice Blendeds.

Oooo! We can sip them while getting pedicures... after our Pilates class, of course.

Reviving an old thread for a new member: Haowen Wong.

I was talking to a parent at our school, asking what brought her to Foothill Ranch. She said they considered Irvine. Her husband works for IUSD. But he noticed it's too Asian in Irvine. They wanted a more American place to raise their young family. The interesting thing is they are both Mexican! I never knew Mexicans would do "Brown Flight" (gotta come up with a new name for this! hehe) It is widely acknowledged by South O.C. residents that Irvine has passed the "tipping point" to be a healthily-balanced community but it's news to me that now I hear it from the Mexicans, too...! Too funny. We actually don't know too many other Hispanic people, though. So, who knows what's been going on for a while.

SoCal said:
But he noticed it's too Asian in Irvine. They wanted a more American place to raise their young family.

I guess the question is why he considered Asians to be less American than people of other descent.

notTHEoc said:
SoCal said:
But he noticed it's too Asian in Irvine. They wanted a more American place to raise their young family.

I guess the question is why he considered Asians to be less American than people of other descent.

I don't think it's meant to say that Asians are not Americans. When one drives to Diamond Jamboree or any plaza off of Jeffrey between Irvine Center Drive to Trabuco one can say it's very Asian.  Maybe American to them is having less of these types of plazas. 

FHR is definitely much less Asian than Irvine.  One example, FHR has a vietnamese place and it serves sweet potato fries.  :)

notTHEoc said:
SoCal said:

its probably not just that fact that they are asian, its probably that they are FCBs or whatever you want to call it.  lets be honest, from what i can see, a lot of the asians in irvine are first generation and so culturally its more asian than american. the only reason culver plaza and the one on jefferey/walnut isnt littered with signs in asian its because the city wont let them.  also, when asian restaurants and grocery stores outnumber (maybe not quite yet, but likely will) the traditional american stores/restaurants, its probably safe to say that irvine is asianized (for lack of a better term). maybe when the second/third generations grow up it will be more "americanized" than it is now.  we love san diego, i grew up going to pacific beach in san diego in the summer, my wife's family is from there.  culturally, san diego is what we prefer and in due time we will be there. ill start up TalkLaJolla.  ultimately for me though, being mexican, im always the odd man out regardless of where we live. but id rather be the odd man out in la Jolla

I just got back from Alhambra today ... So my answer to this debate is no.  Irvine has a long waaaay to go before it becomes too Asian.

bones said:
Actually maybe the question should be:  is south county "too white"?

I eat at the in and out in rsm sometimes and I'm the only Asian there.
I shop at the laguna Niguel costco and whole foods and I'm the only Asian I see.
I shop at buybuybaby in Laguna Hills and I'm one of a handful of Asians.
The only place I see Asians in south county is at the Coto de Caza country club when I'm golfing. Those damn Asians seem to find golf everywhere.
Yeah, way too many whities in South County....hence me being in Irvine.  =)

OpenSky said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
bones said:

I shop at the laguna Niguel costco and whole foods and I'm the only Asian I see.
The only place I see Asians in south county is at the Coto de Caza country club when I'm golfing. Those damn Asians seem to find golf everywhere.

I'm uncomfortable in south county. And I'm white.
Yeah, even Huntington Beach where I grew up was more diverse than South County.  As Zerolot mentioned, Alhambra and other cities in the SGV are much more Asian than Irvine is. 

OpenSky said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
bones said:

I'm uncomfortable in south county. And I'm white.

I grew up south county, it's not as white as Norco ... Where my white and brown Costco eggs come from.  ;D

Irvine had a nice blend for awhile.  Mainly it's the FCBs coming in that are tipping the scale. 

Almost got side swiped by some f'ing FOB who decided to merge in my lane no matter the cost!  Either that she could't see with that Asian Fob sun-visor crap they wear.  I'm starting to use racial slurs against my own peeps.  LOL.  Irvine = South San Gabriel Valley. 

Back