Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

lookingnirvine said:
Referral link is below.  I am in process of installing solar with Altair Solar via EnergySage.  They are based locally in Irvine, which is a positive as response times and on-site meetings are good.  I originally went with a company called Solar Optimum which was a big mistake.  I was misled by Solar Optimum's high ratings on Energy Sage, which was completely opposite of what I experienced with them during the whole process.  I cancelled my contract and went with Altair Solar, who will be installing within the coming month.  My experience with Altair has so far been great - they have been very responsive, give detailed information, and very competitive in terms of pricing.

http://www.energysage.com/?rc=e1.s5lngp

Interesting. Altair bid $11k thru EnergySage for a 4.08kW system with 12 panels. Tesla's price for a 4.08kW system is only $8,200. Are you just getting a way better deal than me?

HMart said:
Interesting. Altair bid $11k thru EnergySage for a 4.08kW system with 12 panels. Tesla's price for a 4.08kW system is only $8,200. Are you just getting a way better deal than me?

I don't think anyone can beat Tesla on price. He/she probably just decided to go for a local installer for better customer service.

lookingnirvine said:
Referral link is below.  I am in process of installing solar with Altair Solar via EnergySage.  They are based locally in Irvine, which is a positive as response times and on-site meetings are good.  I originally went with a company called Solar Optimum which was a big mistake.  I was misled by Solar Optimum's high ratings on Energy Sage, which was completely opposite of what I experienced with them during the whole process.  I cancelled my contract and went with Altair Solar, who will be installing within the coming month.  My experience with Altair has so far been great - they have been very responsive, give detailed information, and very competitive in terms of pricing.

http://www.energysage.com/?rc=e1.s5lngp

Good to hear about the good experience with Altair and the warning with Solar Optimum. I've heard good things about Altair elsewhere as well. Some TI members went with Infinity Solar and had good experiences I believe. Although based on my energysage quote, they came in higher than Altair. Did they hook you up with the LG 345W panels?

All depends on your energy needs.  I signed up even before Tesla started dropping their price, however, the price Altair is giving me is quite less than Tesla's Medium size package, which was closest to my needs.  Just keep in mind the type of solar panels you would be getting.  Altair is providing me with Panasonic 340W panels, whereas last I checked, Tesla was offering some no-name made in China brand panels. 

hurijo said:
HMart said:

I don't think anyone can beat Tesla on price. He/she probably just decided to go for a local installer for better customer service.

I asked the installer if they would be able to beat the price. I got an entire essay back basically saying No.

As you know, Tesla's small size system of 4 KW system is $8,200 + tax.  Instead of using the premium panels such as LG, Panasonic or Solaria, and premium Enphase micro inverters like the one that I proposed to you, they use standard Hanwha QCELL solar panels and String inverter for their system. Their system comes with 10 years roof penetration warranty and 10 - 12 years inverter warranty (depend on what inverter brand that they provide you).  Also they do not offer production guarantee for you.  Another thing that you need to know, they do your system design remotely and they will not send you the site survey technician until the installation day. Many of our customers want to know if we can beat TESLA pricing with the same panels and inverter.
If you do not mind getting the standard solar panel and string inverter, our company came up with our best offer using the Hanwha Q-cell panel and SolarEdge inverter with optimizers. For your 4KW system, we can use 12 Q-cell panels and SolarEdge 3.8 kW inverter (SE3800H) with power optimizers.
The gross cost is $10,404. After the tax credit is $7,698.96.
Tesla advertises on their website that they are selling a small size system for $8,200 before tax. Please note that their system MAY NOT come with power optimizers. (they will only give you power optimizer if they deem it is beneficial for you). Depend on the tax rate in your city, their system with the tax is about $9,000 gross cost. We are only about $1,404 difference in gross cost. The net cost difference of $1,038.96. When you consider that they may not give you power optimizers, then the net cost difference comes in less than $250. So, for about less than $250 difference, you are getting support from us.
Remember that Tesla doesn't even give a performance guarantee like we do and therefore, they have no incentives to come back out to your house for months to replace the inverter. I will tell you that it will also take us about 2-3 weeks to replace the SolarEdge inverter if it fails because SolarEdge generally takes 2-3 weeks to ship out a new inverter. But even with SolarEdge's slow process, Tesla shouldn't take 3+ months to come out and replace your inverter.
So, here is the recap of the comparison:
For less than $250 net cost difference, you are getting the following from our company:

a) Power optimizers (Tesla may not provide this for you and therefore they are saving more than $840 savings)

b) They don't offer a performance guarantee. So, if your system goes down for just once and Tesla doesn't come out to your house to replace the inverter for 3+ months, you are losing $300+ (assuming it will cost you $100 a month which would be a very conservative number. Summer loss would be significantly higher).

c) They don't offer the warranties we offer. We still provide 25 yrs workmanship, 25 yrs labor warranty, 25 yrs leak-free roof penetration warranty, 25 yrs equipment warranty. So, you definitely have a peace of mind from us. Tesla doesn't offer 25 yrs warranties.

d) Tesla doesn't come out to your house to do a site survey.  They only send someone on the day of the installation. You are signing a contract without knowing all the factors. They could charge you a lot more when they come out. They do allow you to cancel your contract within 7 days after the installation if you are not happy. However, you are taking a risk with 26% tax credit. Let's say they come out to your house and do the installation in mid-October. All of sudden they charge you a lot more or you are not happy with their service and you decide to cancel the contract at that point. With less than 3 months left to find another company and start the process all over again, you may not get your PTO by the end of the year to claim the 26% tax credit. This also means that you are going to lose 4% which will put you on another $400 loss.
When you add everything up, we are offering a better deal than Tesla.

The choice is yours to make, but I am obligated to explain the risks of working with Tesla so that you can make an educated decision.  Also you may have read the reviews for TESLA from their existing customers describing their experience with TESLA after the installation.

Please take a look on the link below before you pull the trigger.

https://www.solarreviews.com/installers/solarcity-reviews?page=2 

Here is our company reviews:
https://www.solarreviews.com/installers/altair-solar-inc-reviewshttps://www.yelp.com/biz/altair-solar-irvine

Please let me know if you have any questions. Solar is a big investment for you and I really want to make sure you get the best value, service, support and warranty for your investment. I am here to help you with your solar project.

I don't know how to really evaluate the strength of this guy's claims. There seem like some good points and some not-so-good points.

Thanks for posting that.  A local Irvine company with 25yr leaky roof warranty and good reviews is worth the extra cost IMO.  Will probably contact these guys.  If only I lived in Altair I?d probably get a discount.

aquabliss said:
Thanks for posting that.  A local Irvine company with 25yr leaky roof warranty and good reviews is worth the extra cost IMO.  Will probably contact these guys.  If only I lived in Altair I?d probably get a discount.

solar companies are a dime-a-dozen and can go out of business in a flash.  i went with tesla not only for the price, but because i believe they will be one of only a few solar companies operating today that will still be around in 25 years so i have a little more comfort knowing that their warranty be worth the paper they print it on.

Going with Tesla 8.16kw system + 3 Powerwalls providing full house backup incl AC for $30K net of the tax credit. Just waiting now on HOA approval. Tesla service has been exemplary so far.

I have Tesla Solar and received "Hanwha Q-cell panel and SolarEdge inverter with optimizers" since I have multiple arrays.  Just depends on whether it's needed or not.  You can always check with Tesla and not get the install done if you are not happy with the hardware configuration.  I have multiple friends and family go with Tesla solar and we are all extremely happy with the install process and price.  I feel bad for the 3rd party mom and pop companies since they really can't compete when it's a run of the mill install.       

a) Power optimizers (Tesla may not provide this for you and therefore they are saving more than $840 savings)
>> If they aren't beneficial for your particular setup, who cares?  If you do need them, Tesla will include it.

b) They don't offer a performance guarantee. So, if your system goes down for just once and Tesla doesn't come out to your house to replace the inverter for 3+ months, you are losing $300+ (assuming it will cost you $100 a month which would be a very conservative number. Summer loss would be significantly higher).
>> How often does a system really go down or have an issue?  Seems like non-issue..

c) They don't offer the warranties we offer. We still provide 25 yrs workmanship, 25 yrs labor warranty, 25 yrs leak-free roof penetration warranty, 25 yrs equipment warranty. So, you definitely have a peace of mind from us. Tesla doesn't offer 25 yrs warranties.
>> What type of warranty is offered?  Is this like a carpet type warranty where there are so many exclusions and requirements that you can never claim it?  Or is it like a Costco type warranty.  Does a 25 year equipment warranty even make sense if the equipment will be outdated after well before then? 

d) Tesla doesn't come out to your house to do a site survey.  They only send someone on the day of the installation. You are signing a contract without knowing all the factors. They could charge you a lot more when they come out. They do allow you to cancel your contract within 7 days after the installation if you are not happy. However, you are taking a risk with 26% tax credit. Let's say they come out to your house and do the installation in mid-October. All of sudden they charge you a lot more or you are not happy with their service and you decide to cancel the contract at that point. With less than 3 months left to find another company and start the process all over again, you may not get your PTO by the end of the year to claim the 26% tax credit. This also means that you are going to lose 4% which will put you on another $400 loss.
When you add everything up, we are offering a better deal than Tesla.

>> Maybe this changed recently, but Tesla did send someone out to inspect everything a week or two before the actual install.  Also, my entire process only took a month or so for me from start to finish. 

The choice is yours to make, but I am obligated to explain the risks of working with Tesla so that you can make an educated decision.  Also you may have read the reviews for TESLA from their existing customers describing their experience with TESLA after the installation.
>> You need to find region specific reviews.  These will be MUCH MORE accurate than reviews from out of state.  Most Irvine installs will be very run of the mill basic installs where the Tesla system/process will work perfectly. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Is 3 Powerwalls too many? Do you have an election tampering server farm or grow house? :)

For me, the sweet spot would be 2 Powerwalls especially with how frequent we are driving now with COVID.

Who's done research on batteries.  I know solar is pretty efficient now after years of being on the market, hows battery efficiency and will they get better/cheaper in the next couple years?  I feel like batteries are relatively new compared to panels and still needs time to mature.  **I've done zero research so hopefully someone more informed can chime in. 

Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Is 3 Powerwalls too many? Do you have an election tampering server farm or grow house? :)

For me, the sweet spot would be 2 Powerwalls especially with how frequent we are driving now with COVID.

I looked into and this is what a neighbor sent me a few months back. In essence the 3rd one is close to free.

Just need to have the space for 3.

Attachments

• Tesla Powerwall Pricing.jpg
    Tesla Powerwall Pricing.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 138
Looks like Tesla does solar financing at 5.99% over 20 years.  Bad interest rate but comes out to around $0down $110/mo for a $16k system (before tax credit) that should leave me with a $10/mo bill with SCE so I still come out ahead on monthly basis.

Anyone try this option?

aquabliss said:
Looks like Tesla does solar financing at 5.99% over 20 years.  Bad interest rate but comes out to around $0down $110/mo for a $16k system (before tax credit) that should leave me with a $10/mo bill with SCE so I still come out ahead on monthly basis.

Anyone try this option?

How about opening up a HELOC to pay for the solar? That way you'll have a lower rate and the interest may be tax deductible.

USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

Anyone try this option?

How about opening up a HELOC to pay for the solar? That way you'll have a lower rate and the interest may be tax deductible.

That's what I would do if I went the buy route.

Back