Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

I submitted my $100 deposit payment via CC on July 20th and uploaded all of the pictures required by July 27th. Technicians came out to the home on Aug 5th and looks like the permits were obtained on Aug 7th. Now my status is "Installation: Coming Soon" on the tesla website.

They'll probably call you in the next few days to schedule your install. If you don't want to wait, you can call their schedulers at: +1 (650) 546-8402

By the way, did you use my referral?  ;)

best_potsticker_in_town said:
They'll probably call you in the next few days to schedule your install. If you don't want to wait, you can call their schedulers at: +1 (650) 546-8402

By the way, did you use my referral?  ;)

My cousin and her family actually installed the Tesla solar at their home in Las Vegas so she asked me to use her referral link.

I think if you refer 10 people that signs up with Tesla solar. Then you get the Tesla powerwall battery.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I submitted my $100 deposit payment via CC on July 20th and uploaded all of the pictures required by July 27th. Technicians came out to the home on Aug 5th and looks like the permits were obtained on Aug 7th. Now my status is "Installation: Coming Soon" on the tesla website.

I assume no HOA? (explaining the quick install)

eyephone said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

I assume no HOA? (explaining the quick install)

HOA approved the solar within a week of me submitting the request.

On the day of install, the Tesla installer asked if I got HOA approval. I said yes, it should be on file. I asked do people not get approval? He told me that a fair share of people they install for don't get HOA approval. Tesla allows it - just asks for a signed waiver of liability. Interesting...makes me wonder how many projects going on (solar, backyard, or otherwise) haven't been HOA approved.

On the day of install, the Tesla installer asked if I got HOA approval. I said yes, it should be on file. I asked do people not get approval? He told me that a fair share of people they install for don't get HOA approval. Tesla allows it - just asks for a signed waiver of liability. Interesting...makes me wonder how many projects going on (solar, backyard, or otherwise) haven't been HOA approved.

I read somewhere that legally speaking, the HOA can't deny you getting solar installed.  They can require that pipes and what not be painted to match the exterior of the home or else you'll get warning letters and/or small fines.

USCTrojanCPA said:

I read somewhere that legally speaking, the HOA can't deny you getting solar installed.  They can require that pipes and what not be painted to match the exterior of the home or else you'll get warning letters and/or small fines.

Damn, did I waste $250 and the $500 deposit I haven't gotten back to yet? Lol...better safe than sorry, I guess. Anyway, I think color matching conduit is a city requirement - which would be required during the permitting process.

Damn, did I waste $250 and the $500 deposit I haven't gotten back to yet? Lol...better safe than sorry, I guess. Anyway, I think color matching conduit is a city requirement - which would be required during the permitting process.

If they ever find out, will it be worth the hassle with dealing in the HOA in the future, will the fines be >$250, or will they require the panels to be moved to a different location, what's the cost of moving them in the future? Its $250 for peace of mind. The $500 you'll need to bug your HOA, at least I needed to bug mine to get my deposit back. 

USCTrojanCPA said:

They can't stop you from installing, but they can state where the panels need to be on the roof, and what configuration they need to be in and where the conduit, etc needs to be.  If you don't have them in the accurate spot or within the HOA design guideilnes, they can keep fining you forever until fixed...and you'd be on the HOA shitlist...they can start looking at your house and start dinging you for everything.

Your HOA authority on this is somewhat  limited. Legally, they can only ask for ?reasonable restrictions ?. The Tesla rep told me that of the recent cases that actually went to litigation, the courts had defined ?reasonable restrictions ? as less than costing $1000 or less than 10% solar efficiency.

If your solar design team can demonstrate your HOA design change request will cost you more than 1k in cost or drop in more than 10% production, you will most likely win if you take the legal route. A competent / properly advised HOA board would not fight you on this.

Kenkoko said:
Your HOA authority on this is somewhat  limited. Legally, they can only ask for ?reasonable restrictions ?. The Tesla rep told me that of the recent cases that actually went to litigation, the courts had defined ?reasonable restrictions ? as less than costing $1000 or less than 10% solar efficiency.

If your solar design team can demonstrate your HOA design change request will cost you more than 1k in cost or drop in more than 10% production, you will most likely win if you take the legal route. A competent / properly advised HOA board would not fight you on this.

Is all this extra work, time spent, and potentially paying legal fees more than $250 for the initial approval?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but all that headache for $250 for all those who would want to avoid an HOA approval.

akkord said:
Kenkoko said:

Is all this extra work, time spent, and potentially paying legal fees more than $250 for the initial approval?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but all that headache for $250 for all those who would want to avoid an HOA approval.

Agree, do it once, do it right the first time.

akkord said:
Kenkoko said:

My post wasn?t meant to be a specific response to someone?s particular situation. It?s merely to inform people of what they would likely face if they were to contest the HoA. Whether that?s due to HOA dragging their feet or HOA demanding design changes.

In my opinion, it?s always best to know both your potential upside and downside.

And I do agree with you, most people likely have a competent HOA not dragging its feet w/ approval and won?t be demanding big design changes. In most situations, paying and waiting for the approval is the smart thing to do.

But not every HOA board is competent and/or well advised. As someone who has fought the HOA and won (about pool construction), I can definitely attest to that.

A buddy of mine did this and his HOA process was basically getting neighbors to sign-off on his solar installation.

The HOA had no other requirements other than to notify his neighbors from what I was told... maybe other HOAs require proof of insurance, aesthetics considerations... etc.

My "small" size system has been on for about a week now. I'm generating 24-25 kwh per day. Really pleased with that production, which will obviously go down in the fall/winter months. Even more pleased that the system is on for the upcoming heat wave!

My "small" size system has been on for about a week now. I'm generating 24-25 kwh per day. Really pleased with that production, which will obviously go down in the fall/winter months. Even more pleased that the system is on for the upcoming heat wave!

I have a 13.5 kW system because we have 2 electrics and were driving a lot. With the pandemic hitting and my commute drastically changing we were hitting huge energy surpluses. My 12 month period just ended and I have $300 in surplus. I should sell off electricity to my neighbors or something.

So that's the question, even with 2 EVs, if one or both of us are majorly remote, do we even need a larger system? Well... maybe to run the AC more since we are home. :)

Back