Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

akkord said:
Who's done research on batteries.  I know solar is pretty efficient now after years of being on the market, hows battery efficiency and will they get better/cheaper in the next couple years?  I feel like batteries are relatively new compared to panels and still needs time to mature.  **I've done zero research so hopefully someone more informed can chime in.

I think batteries are still new and will definitely get cheaper in the future. The dilemma right now is that you can get the 26% fed credit on the battery right now if you install with solar. And after 2021, no more credit. So the question becomes will battery prices drop by 22-26% in two years to be cheaper than getting them now? I don't think so.

hurijo said:
akkord said:
Who's done research on batteries.  I know solar is pretty efficient now after years of being on the market, hows battery efficiency and will they get better/cheaper in the next couple years?  I feel like batteries are relatively new compared to panels and still needs time to mature.  **I've done zero research so hopefully someone more informed can chime in.

I think batteries are still new and will definitely get cheaper in the future. The dilemma right now is that you can get the 26% fed credit on the battery right now if you install with solar. And after 2021, no more credit. So the question becomes will battery prices drop by 22-26% in two years to be cheaper than getting them now? I don't think so.

I thought the tax credit is on the entire installation cost, not jut the battery?

Cares said:
qwerty said:
What is the break even on a $30K solar system? 20+ years?

The break even is dependent on your usage. My system was about 28k before tax credit. I have a 5 year break even.

Not sure how much the tax credit was but let?s say your net cost was 20k. That means you are saving about 333/month.

I don?t have EVs so not sure what kind of impact it has on a bill. But we run the AC all of the time and the highest out bill has been is 278 this summer. Outside of the summer I think the bill is around 125-150/month. So my full year average is about 200/month. It would take me about 8.3 years to break even on a net solar system of $20k.

-$174

My AUG bill from edison after solar install 1 year ago. 
True up bill in AUG.

qwerty said:
Cares said:
qwerty said:

The break even is dependent on your usage. My system was about 28k before tax credit. I have a 5 year break even.

Not sure how much the tax credit was but let?s say your net cost was 20k. That means you are saving about 333/month.

I don?t have EVs so not sure what kind of impact it has on a bill. But we run the AC all of the time and the highest out bill has been is 278 this summer. Outside of the summer I think the bill is around 125-150/month. So my full year average is about 200/month. It would take me about 8.3 years to break even on a net solar system of $20k.

Without battery storage approximately 12k after tax incentives for Tesla 8.16 system.
But if you add 2 powerwall batteries it comes to 22k net after tax incentives. (Maybe your talking about that? Idk)

qwerty said:
Cares said:
qwerty said:

You could get Tesla 8.16kW for about $12.1k after tax credit.  About a 5ish year break even.

After a detailed analysis including specifying the model of my AC compressor Tesla confirmed in writing I require 3 PWs to provide full power backup for my house incl AC. I'll post updates on the process and progress.

qwerty said:
Cares said:
qwerty said:

This is my breakdown by average energy generation and consumption down to the hour and comparing between the 3 available SCE plans. There's several other datasheets behind this but this is the summary for me. 5 years breakeven if we went 4-9pm and 7 years with Prime. We went with Prime because of lower cost which means longer breakeven, so I misspoke when I said 5 years for me.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-25 081327.png
    Annotation 2020-08-25 081327.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 169
qwerty said:
Cares said:
qwerty said:

Cost of electricity is only going to go up... bro... solar is prime time now. :)

Also a net $20k solar system is about a 10-11 kW system which is huge. That's sized for my 2 electric cards and 24/7 AC usage. Your system would be much smaller if you didn't have EVs.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
Cares said:
qwerty said:

Cost of electricity is only going to go up... bro... solar is prime time now. :)

This is true but if I cover 80-90% of my electricity needs then I'm fine.

Bumping this as I can't find the thread on solar efficiency. How are everyone's panels functioning in this 108? heat?

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Bumping this as I can't find the thread on solar efficiency. How are everyone's panels functioning in this 108? heat?

My .02c

Not any better than earlier in the week, super hot days makes it slightly worse...

Clear cool days are the best

What are the rules on the tax credits?  Do the panels have to be installed in the calendar year 2020 to get the 26% credit or just start the process?  I figure as slow as HOAs move, I won?t make it in 2020 (installed) unless I start the process now.

They definitely need to be installed, but it?s also up for debate whether you need PTO (permission to operate) from your electrical provider (as they can drag their feet on this) by end of 2020. The wording in IRS guidance is vague, but I believe general consensus is that the system just needs to be installed and paid for in full by end of the year, and doesn?t necessarily need PTO.

hurijo said:
They definitely need to be installed, but it?s also up for debate whether you need PTO (permission to operate) from your electrical provider (as they can drag their feet on this) by end of 2020. The wording in IRS guidance is vague, but I believe general consensus is that the system just needs to be installed and paid for in full by end of the year, and doesn?t necessarily need PTO.

As long as the panels are installed and paid for in 2020 then you should be able to get the tax credit in 2020.

I know a guy who just paid in full for solar panels at the end of last year and claimed the tax credit, even though not installed yet due to HOA or city permittiing.  Not sure what the tax loophole was, but he bought 30+ panels for a couple of his homes with pools.  He has more money than me and can pay for accountants and tax attorneys.  If he ever gets audited I'll report back.

USCTrojanCPA said:
hurijo said:

As long as the panels are installed and paid for in 2020 then you should be able to get the tax credit in 2020.

Here's a picture of the Tesla 4kW system installed on the roof (one the right, the pool solar is on the left) of my Las Vegas home. Should be connected up with NV Energy in 2-3 weeks.

Attachments

• Solar.jpg
    Solar.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 196
Looks like they faced the panels south.  With the upcoming TOU plan that sets peak hours as 5-9PM I'm wondering if west facing panels might make the most sense.    The south facing roof also faces the street, so west facing would be preferred from an aesthetic perspective.

Back