Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

My opinion
S > W no matter what
SW > SE
S vs SW is debatable, but I'd still take S. I think it offsets either way you go. The panels will collect more energy midday with S facing panels, but the energy is worth less.

My HOA took ~2 weeks to provide approval and San Jose took around the same time for permits - much faster than I envisioned. I am scheduled for installation of an 8.16kW Tesla Solar + 3 Powerwall system next week. I'll post pictures.

OCtoSV said:
My HOA took ~2 weeks to provide approval and San Jose took around the same time for permits - much faster than I envisioned. I am scheduled for installation of an 8.16kW Tesla Solar + 3 Powerwall system next week. I'll post pictures.

It was probably posted, but it's a long thread, how much is 3 powerwalls post tax credit/rebates?

akkord said:
OCtoSV said:

It was probably posted, but it's a long thread, how much is 3 powerwalls post tax credit/rebates?

I don't know about the rebates now but last I check it was about 6K to 8K per powerwall...no bulk discounts. 

akkord said:
OCtoSV said:

the system + 3 PWs combined are $30K net of the 26% FTC. The PWs are $6500 each but I received a $2500 discount for combining the two.

I'm curious about the decision for 3 PW with a 8.16kW system... usually they recommend 1 PW per 4-5kW solar system. Is it to be self-sufficient for outages?

hurijo said:
I'm curious about the decision for 3 PW with a 8.16kW system... usually they recommend 1 PW per 4-5kW solar system. Is it to be self-sufficient for outages?

i wanted full backup power including AC, which Tesla said requires 3 PWs.

OCtoSV said:
hurijo said:

What does full backup power mean though? Duration matters. If you have solar panels during a power outage, you will still have power as you are directly pulling energy from your panels and not from the grid.

Cares said:
OCtoSV said:
hurijo said:

What does full backup power mean though? Duration matters. If you have solar panels during a power outage, you will still have power as you are directly pulling energy from your panels and not from the grid.
I have a weak ass system, ac use is greater than what my panels generate even at peak

the 3 PWs can store 40.5 kWh and can deliver 15kW of continuous power and 21kW of surge. Tesla analyzed 1 year of PGE bills to determine the solution for my requirement. I'm stoked that I only have 1 week left to live in fear of a sudden blackout.

Cares said:
OCtoSV said:
hurijo said:

Not really...without a backup and panels don't feed into the house because the power grid serves as your backup.  The system basically stops because the power company cut the circuit.

A powerwall collects and stores the power generated by the panel for use later.  Even in an underpowered system, the battery recharges itself at nighttime (when demand and prices are lower) for use when the panel is not able to support the power demand. 

You need a powerwall/battery to be off the grid...ie independent of the brown-out issues.

For all of you folks who got or thinking of getting powerwall/s, have you considered getting a generator?  There are generators that run off gasoline and there are ones that run off natural gas.

whole-house generator solutions are very difficult to get permitted due to the noise, and portable generators aren't taking you off the grid. Most cities also require 5ft clearance from the property for permitting. I started down this path but the Generac dealer who came out to quote told me to expect at least a 6 month permitting process.

OCtoSV said:

I'm curious to see how much wall space it takes to install 3 PWs, can you share once you are done?

I'm attaching again the cost breakdown a neighbor got for PW. The difference between 2 and 3 looks minimal.

Attachments

• Tesla Powerwall Pricing.jpg
    Tesla Powerwall Pricing.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 186
Why wouldn't you get a SGIP rebate for 1 or 2 powerwalls?  And why is the fed tax credit not much different between 2 and 3 powerwalls?  I'm missing something.

The SGIP rebate is for PG&E and it comes from different pools depending if you install 1, 2 or 3 PWs. The 1 and 2 PWs pools were exhausted back then, not the 3PWs.

quick update: Tesla installation stalled once they got on the roof and determined our mid-80s tract home roof has tile on top of rafters, and they need to lay down plywood. The installers said they have recently encountered this a lot as Tesla cut their surveyors that previously did a physical inspection prior to install day. Supposedly Tesla will schedule the plywood installation but no idea yet of the cost

How long does Tesla warranty for?  Do they guarantee production of the panels to a certain percentage, we know there will be degradation over time, but after X years it should still be > X%. 

City of Las Vegas inspector approved the solar installation, now I'm waiting for NV Energy to come out so I can turn on the solar.

Back