Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

zubs said:
Here is more production data for my solar panels with sunny days and no clouds.

AUG 27, 2019 ~ 56.6 kwh
AUG 27, 2020 ~ 47.5 kwh

SEP 14, 2019 ~ 50.8 kwh
SEP 15, 2020 ~ 29.7 kwh

OCT 15, 2019 ~ 36.1 kwh
OCT 15, 2020 ~ 24.3 kwh

NOV 16, 2019 ~ 23.3 kwh
NOV 15, 2020 ~ 24.8 kwh

So in AUG of 2020, there was some degradation to the system, and by SEP and OCT, it was pretty bad....
So I was on the internet looking for solutions, and finally I just hosed it down and it worked.  Proof is in the NOV numbers.

It is nice enphase has all the historical data easily accessible.

Checked a couple days on mine.

10/19/19 - 27.3
10/19/20 - 22.1

After the rain on 11/7 & 11/8 - I'm not going up on my 2nd story roof to hose them off, I'm asking for trouble.

11/11/19 - 19.5
11/11/20 - 20.1

Naturally the rain should clean off your solar, but if there is no rain between JUL ~ OCT, perhaps around AUG you should take a hose to it. 

Producing 30% less electricity for 3 months waiting for rain while fire debris collect on your panels is a unique southern CA problem.

USCTrojanCPA said:
So I noticed that one of my Panasonic 330w solar panels is no longer really generating electricity. A month ago it started making 1/2 the amount of electricity as the panels next to it and then then a few weeks ago it is basically not generating any electricity (see the picture below). I contacted the solar company that installed my panels and they contacted Enphase and that Enphase will push through a firmware update then to check on the panel in 3-4 days to see how it's doing and report back. Anyone ever had any issue like this? 

The issue was with one of the Enphase optimizers so it was replaced and no everything seems to be working properly with that solar panel.

HMart said:
It's been 3 months since we've put down our deposit with Tesla. Still no install date. Sad.

Are they waiting for something?  I'd reach out to your assigned rep and find out what's going on.

So I looked at the Tesla solar website. The price for the small one is around the same as last year.
I think I am ready to buy.

Reading different forums and articles. I think Tesla is the best price and most likely they will be around 10-20 plus years.

zubs said:
Apparently their service sucks, so prep accordingly.

Yeah, I read about that and family member experienced it. (The commission/referral check was delayed.)
But I have to follow and save the money.

USCTrojanCPA said:
HMart said:
It's been 3 months since we've put down our deposit with Tesla. Still no install date. Sad.

Are they waiting for something?  I'd reach out to your assigned rep and find out what's going on.

Yep, I've been emailing our rep every few weeks. It usually takes them a few days/weeks to get back. It's not fun. Last I heard, permits have been issued and an install date is pending.

eyephone said:
So I looked at the Tesla solar website. The price for the small one is around the same as last year.

Reading different forums and articles. I think Tesla is the best price and most likely they will be around 10-20 plus years.

Wow... Tesla Solar is officially Prime Time!! :)

So you are doing a purchase not a rental?

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Wow... Tesla Solar is officially Prime Time!! :)

So you are doing a purchase not a rental?

The net is $6kish (so buy)

Ours took 3.5 months, but that was due to them needing to subcontract out the roof decking under our tile roof.

City inspection is tomorrow, then PGE activation is 1-3 weeks.

Attachments

• pw.jpg
    pw.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
OCtoSV said:
Ours took 3.5 months, but that was due to them needing to subcontract out the roof decking under our tile roof.

3 power walls wow

OCtoSV said:

You should be able to flip the switch to turn on solar even if you get no $ back from PGE yet from net metering.  And you have 3 powerwalls, should be storing any surplus, but during the winter you'll probably just use it all up overnight if you have excess. 

When I asked Tesla told me I would get fined by PGE if I turned on the system before their hook up.

It was mildly stimulating the moment they turned off PGE and tested my house with AC on running purely off battery. While I'm no greenie I can claim I am in that I will be working my way out of the carbon hole that was dug by the manufacturing of the batteries in my EV and the PWs by charging them from solar or battery. With 3 PWs I will be 100% self sufficient in electricity production and consumption barring a massive change in the CA sunshine quotient. Tesla also does a nice job with the edge trim on the panels - much more aesthetically pleasing than other solar installations I have seen.

Their analysis of my total load dictated the 3 PWs. I also got the 26% fed tax credit for having it installed by 12/31. Goes down to 22% this year, still a good incentive.

We experienced a multi-day outage up here in the summer of 2019, and with the credit this works out to the same monthly as my avg PGE bill. To me it was a no-brainer.

I'm curious...with all you folks that have solar with SoCal Edison what is plan that you have selected?  I have the TOUD-4-9PM plan.  I finished my first year of solar and ended up the year with about 700 kWh of excess generated power which resulted in a credit of about $35.  Should I be on the TOUD-4-9PM plan or switch to another plan?

Back