Tesla Model 3

iacrenter said:
eyephone said:
aquabliss said:
If Tesla get's under $300 again I'm definitely going to buy.

Gm announced they are going all electric in the future.

Who is going to buy all these electric vehicles? Even in CA they less than 5% of cars? People just don't want them--too expensive and too much of a hassle. Federal and state subsidies are keeping this industry alive.

The US can barely keep up with its current road and bridge infrastructure. I don't see the proper EV infrastructure for all these future cars. This will also have a negative impact on State and Federal revenue from the gas tax which helps pay for roads.

I dunno.. The Model X is like the new Lexus RX here in Irvine.  Cost will continue to go down.  There is obviously a market for this.

But at some point, you have to make a buck.

Automakers Plan Electric Car Blitz as Tesla Burns Billions

Here are two facts that defy logic: By the end of the year, electric-car maker Tesla Inc. will have burned through more than $10 billion without ever having made 10 cents. Yet companies around the world are lining up to compete with it.

Almost 50 new pure electric-car models will come to market globally between now and 2022, including vehicles from Daimler AG and Volkswagen AG. General Motors Co. raised the stakes Monday by pledging to sell 20 all-electric vehicles by 2023, including launching two new EVs in the next 18 months. Even British inventor James Dyson is getting into the game, announcing last week that he?s investing two billion pounds ($2.7 billion) to develop an electric car and the batteries to power it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-02/automakers-plan-electric-car-blitz-even-as-tesla-burns-billions

morekaos said:
But at some point, you have to make a buck.

Automakers Plan Electric Car Blitz as Tesla Burns Billions

Here are two facts that defy logic: By the end of the year, electric-car maker Tesla Inc. will have burned through more than $10 billion without ever having made 10 cents. Yet companies around the world are lining up to compete with it.

Almost 50 new pure electric-car models will come to market globally between now and 2022, including vehicles from Daimler AG and Volkswagen AG. General Motors Co. raised the stakes Monday by pledging to sell 20 all-electric vehicles by 2023, including launching two new EVs in the next 18 months. Even British inventor James Dyson is getting into the game, announcing last week that he?s investing two billion pounds ($2.7 billion) to develop an electric car and the batteries to power it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-02/automakers-plan-electric-car-blitz-even-as-tesla-burns-billions

Can another other car manufacturer make a half decent looking electric car?!?!?!  Seems like they are worried more about cannibalizing their own gas product.

To be fair...

There's a new biggest Tesla bull on Wall Street: Analyst predicts 40% surge to $500 in just 12 months

Nomura Instinet initiated coverage on Tesla shares with a buy rating and set a 12-month price target of $500, representing 44 percent upside to Tuesday's close. It now has the highest Tesla price forecast out of the 19 research shops that cover the company, according to FactSet.
"We believe that Tesla, much like Intel in the 1990s, is well positioned to accrue most of the profits in the electric vehicle value chain," the firm's analyst says.
Tesla shares rose 1 percent in Wednesday's premarket trading after the report.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/04/nomura-instinet-is-biggest-tesla-bull-on-street-with-500-forecast.html

If only there were profits to accrue.

Um, yeah, let's compare the "value chain" of manufacturing little itty bitty chips within a nascent industry to that of manufacturing large labor-intensive automobiles in a mature industry with experienced competitors.  I'm not saying Tesla won't succeed, but I'm not sure how people can just ignore the risk baked into any bet on the company.

daedalus said:
If only there were profits to accrue.

Um, yeah, let's compare the "value chain" of manufacturing little itty bitty chips within a nascent industry to that of manufacturing large labor-intensive automobiles in a mature industry with experienced competitors.  I'm not saying Tesla won't succeed, but I'm not sure how people can just ignore the risk baked into any bet on the company.

Because they aren't just looking at it as a car company. It's essentially a tech company that makes cars and energy products.

Maybe its like Ferrari (RACE).  When I bought that stock it was around $35-$38 after the offering in 2016.  I told clients, "its not a car company...its a object, piece of art or a collectible."  Yah, they make cars but this was not GM, C or even Fiat.  That way of looking at it is why it now trades at a fairly unsustainable multiple but hey, I am not complaining.

Lol  People *say* it's a tech company to rationalize the share price.  What makes Tesla a tech company?  They make cars and batteries, with warranties, using hand labor, and lots and lots of raw materials.  They're not copying software onto 10000 DVDs a day, or stamping out a million e-widgets a year, or transmitting product from a server to their consumer.  Looking at an old industry with a fresh set of eyes doesn't make you a tech company.  Adding AI to a car doesn't make you a tech company.  It just gives you a competitive advantage.  The best argument for it being a tech company is having Elon at the helm, but even he can only sell so many cars.  The presumed end result of the "tech company" argument is of a dominant player adopted by the masses, sometimes because they're forced to, and sometimes because there just isn't any good competition they're willing to pay for.  I don't see a way in which either happens.  And even if it does, it won't happen fast.  People keep their cars a lot longer than they keep their iphones.

I see a lot of potential for profitability by exploiting the simplicity of electric cars.  Consider how complex engines are with their hundreds of parts with ultra tight tolerances.  I just don't see Tesla taking the lion's share of those profits. 

The question that it all boils down to, for Tesla, SpaceX and the Boring Company, is whether Elon can commandeer profits like he can capital.  Or maybe we don't care, as long as he's commandeering market value.

daedalus said:
Lol  People *say* it's a tech company to rationalize the share price.  What makes Tesla a tech company?  They make cars and batteries, with warranties, using hand labor, and lots and lots of raw materials.  They're not copying software onto 10000 DVDs a day, or stamping out a million e-widgets a year, or transmitting product from a server to their consumer.  Looking at an old industry with a fresh set of eyes doesn't make you a tech company.  Adding AI to a car doesn't make you a tech company.  It just gives you a competitive advantage.  The best argument for it being a tech company is having Elon at the helm, but even he can only sell so many cars.  The presumed end result of the "tech company" argument is of a dominant player adopted by the masses, sometimes because they're forced to, and sometimes because there just isn't any good competition they're willing to pay for.  I don't see a way in which either happens.  And even if it does, it won't happen fast.  People keep their cars a lot longer than they keep their iphones.

I see a lot of potential for profitability by exploiting the simplicity of electric cars.  Consider how complex engines are with their hundreds of parts with ultra tight tolerances.  I just don't see Tesla taking the lion's share of those profits. 

The question that it all boils down to, for Tesla, SpaceX and the Boring Company, is whether Elon can commandeer profits like he can capital.  Or maybe we don't care, as long as he's commandeering market value.

Well you can see it that way or not.. either way, it's stock has been a high flyer for years now.  I can see it continuing that way as well.  A tech company is what the shareholders are buying and making a handsome profit. 

I?m going to start a company that picks up dog shit with high tech pooper scoopers and call it a tech company and see if I can do an IPO and retire early.

SOO.... to get this topic back on track (because you know, this is the Tech subforum), has anyone with a deposit down received an email to configure yet?  I'm wondering how many of you on this board are current Tesla owners with a Model 3 deposit. 

my buddy up north just got his confirmation to configure. 

I'm currently a model x owner and will be putting a deposit down for a 3 soon for the wife.

Apparently when you make robotic machinery you are not a tech company.

Homer_Simpson said:
my buddy up north just got his confirmation to configure. 

I'm currently a model x owner and will be putting a deposit down for a 3 soon for the wife.

Is your buddy an employee or relative of an employee?  With the production delays, it's looking really doubtful we'll be taking delivery of ours this year (non-owner, day 1 in-store reservation in the morning).

I may just have to pony up for a model x instead if the delays get longer and longer...

Homer_Simpson said:
IHO if you wanna test drive it just text me. 

I'm afraid I'll want one if I do. Whenever I'm at Mission Viejo Mall I go sit in the X... and then an employee wipes it down afterwards and makes me feel bad.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm afraid I'll want one if I do. Whenever I'm at Mission Viejo Mall I go sit in the X... and then an employee wipes it down afterwards and makes me feel bad.

OmG. I literally just laughed & choked reading that. I would so love to see your face as they're wiping it down.

Back