Tesla Model 3

SoCal said:
I would so love to see your face as they're wiping it down.

sorrowful-emoji.png

And my mind plays that "whah whah whah" sound you hear at game shows when you lose.

If you're going to get an X, start talking to a OA, then wait for the end of quarter where you can usually squeeze some kind of discount.

If had to do it over again, I'd wait for end of quarter and pick up a CPO. The fit and finish on these are bad enough that you can't tell the difference between new and used  :-\

Maserson said:
If you're going to get an X, start talking to a OA, then wait for the end of quarter where you can usually squeeze some kind of discount.

If had to do it over again, I'd wait for end of quarter and pick up a CPO. The fit and finish on these are bad enough that you can't tell the difference between new and used  :-\

Yeah good call.  I'm probably looking at picking up one at year-end as my model 3 reservation delivery estimate is Nov'17 - Mar'18.

I'm really liking the new 7 seat layout too, but I really wish Tesla would deliver one model 3 per store (at least in California) so you can compare. 

Also looking at a Volvo XC90 T8 Plug-in as an alternative for now.  The new volvos are ridiculously plush and quiet. 

morekaos said:
Thought this was a bad idea...shareholders seem to agree.

Tesla shareholder sues Elon Musk for 'using $2.6BILLION of Tesla stock to prop up failing solar panel company'

Tesla announced it would buy SolarCity for $2.6b in August
The money for the purchase would come from Tesla stock sales, it said
Now a shareholder is suing owner Elon Musk for that 'irresponsible' move
Musk 'uses Tesla like a private company not a public one' the suit claims
Shares of both Tesla and SolarCity fell after the announcement was made

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3778869/Tesla-shareholder-sues-Elon-Musk-using-2-6BILLION-Tesla-stock-prop-failing-solar-panel-company.html

Let's see if Elon can hold together Humpty Dumpty...

Tesla cites performance reviews as it fires SolarCity employees, though workers say reviews never took place

Mass firings at Tesla included SolarCity offices across the U.S.
Ex-SolarCity employees said planned performance reviews never happened, but Tesla cited performance problems as reasons for their dismissals.
The company was already in the midst of laying off 205 employees from SolarCity's Roseville, California, office.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/25/tesla-firings-spread-across-solarcity-employees-blindsided.html

id_rather_be_racing said:
I'm really liking the new 7 seat layout too, but I really wish Tesla would deliver one model 3 per store (at least in California) so you can compare. 

I saw several Model 3's at the Costa Mesa location. Being delivered so can't drive them or sit in them but at least can view in person.

Figured this would happen...rug is getting pulled out from under....

Tesla share crash amid Republican bid to kill off electric car tax break
Didn't help that the automaker's financial results also sucked

Tesla's share price took a dive Thursday morning as Republicans in Congress revealed they were planning to kill off a US federal tax credit for electric vehicles.

The proposed House tax bill calls for an immediate repeal of the $7,500-per-vehicle credit: something that would have an immediate knock-on impact for Tesla given that it only produces electric cars.

Economists believe that the tax credit is a key driver for electric car sales, and cite the example of when the state of Georgia cut its $5,000 tax credit and saw sales of electric cars slump from 1,400 a month to just 100 a month in response.

As an indication of how the $7,500 helps Tesla sell more of its vehicles, it even incorporates the figure into its pricing on its website, noting that the total vehicle cost is reduced thanks to the break ? although you would still pay full price for the car and then would need to claim the credit back on your tax forms.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/02/tesla_share_price_drop_tax_break/

This is great news!  People that are capable of buying a $70k car don't need a tax credit for doing so.  Plus it's another hit to the high-cost blue states.  >:D 

Now let's get rid of the stickers that allow solo drivers to drive in the CARPOOL lane!

The carpool lane should be a HOT (high occupancy + toll lane) anyways. Would be good to trade money for time when things are tight.

Maserson said:

Yeah good call.  I'm probably looking at picking up one at year-end as my model 3 reservation delivery estimate is Nov'17 - Mar'18.

Also looking at a Volvo XC90 T8 Plug-in as an alternative for now.  The new volvos are ridiculously plush and quiet.

Have you driven the T8 Hybrid?
If so how are the brakes and handling?  I read a review saying the brakes suck but wanted another Opinion.

I only got to drive the T5 AWD, so i can't really say.  I don't think I've seen a T8 Hybrid demo car in any volvo dealership i've been to.

Where did you see the review regarding the brakes?  I haven't come across anything mentioning the brakes in the articles/threads I've read.

I'm genuinely hoping Tesla will bring a Model 3 to the LA Auto Show.  It would be an easy way for both reservation-holders and on-the-fence buyers to get a feel for the interior of the car.  It'll help whittle down the pool of buyers who could tolerate not having a traditional dash.  I've owned cars where the dash info was center mounted (scion/toyota), so it really doesn't bother me at all.  Curious what others feel about it.

I only wish it had a HUD displaying the real important info onto the front windshield.  I'm sure the aftermarket will pick this up though.

irvineboy said:
Maserson said:

Have you driven the T8 Hybrid?
If so how are the brakes and handling?  I read a review saying the brakes suck but wanted another Opinion.

iacrenter said:
eyephone said:
Would the elimination of the $7500 tax credit change your mind? (on the table with the tax plan)

Some would argue that eliminating the tax credit might help Tesla stave off competition:
http://www.barrons.com/articles/actually-eliminating-the-ev-credit-could-help-tesla-1509737765

People that buy the nissans don't buy Tesla's.. and visa versa.  However, the other companies make money off the their other gas products.  Didn't China take away a tax benefit for electric cars for a month or so?  What happened?  sales went to zero.  ZERO!

eyephone said:
Would the elimination of the $7500 tax credit change your mind? (on the table with the tax plan)

Yes and No.  Yes meaning I'd possibly look around at other vehicle offerings around the same price range (~$49k) pre-incentives ($10,450 in CA), which I really haven't done too in-depth.  No meaning I did not factor in receiving the tax credit in order to comfortable afford the car.  It's a nice to have, not a need to have.

The most recent article notes that the $7500 ev incentive is back in the Tax bill along with MID:
http://m.startribune.com/the-latest-senate-bill-retains-mortgage-interest-deduction/456413183/

"The South Dakota Republican said the measure also preserves existing clean energy tax incentives such as for electricity production from wind. It preserves a tax credit for electric cars as well."

"The emerging Senate tax overhaul measure wouldn't touch the mortgage interest deduction, as a concession to the powerful real estate lobby."

Tesla's rich and subsidized buyers about to get smacked by Trump tax reform

The Daily Caller notes that the subsidies of these green machines pretty well drive the sales, citing a Wall Street Journal report that notes that when Hong Kong ended Tesla subsidies and tax breaks, nobody wanted to buy these overpriced things.

If that isn't a subsidy crying out for a tax reform, what is?  Let's hope the GOP makes a selling point of this disgusting corporate welfare to virtue-signal and gets its tax bill done, passed, and out the door.  Hollywood's elites don't need more free stuff.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/11/teslas_rich_and_subsidized_buyers_about_to_get_smacked_by_trump_tax_reform.html#ixzz4yWR2069j

morekaos said:
Tesla's rich and subsidized buyers about to get smacked by Trump tax reform

The Daily Caller notes that the subsidies of these green machines pretty well drive the sales, citing a Wall Street Journal report that notes that when Hong Kong ended Tesla subsidies and tax breaks, nobody wanted to buy these overpriced things.

If that isn't a subsidy crying out for a tax reform, what is?  Let's hope the GOP makes a selling point of this disgusting corporate welfare to virtue-signal and gets its tax bill done, passed, and out the door.  Hollywood's elites don't need more free stuff.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/11/teslas_rich_and_subsidized_buyers_about_to_get_smacked_by_trump_tax_reform.html#ixzz4yWR2069j

The Tesla 3 costs 30K...I am not sure how that is the Hollywood crowd.  I would much more prefer credits go to the buyers of the cars rather than oil companies.

Back