Tesla Model 3

Analyst slashes Tesla Model 3 fourth quarter forecast by nearly 70%

KeyBanc Capital Markets predicts Tesla will report weaker-than-expected financial results for its Model 3.

the analyst lowered his fourth quarter Model 3 delivery forecast to 5,000 cars from 15,000 cars.

In the third quarter, Tesla delivered 26,150 total vehicles, but just 220 Model 3 cars. Wall Street analysts had expected overall production of 25,860, with 1,260 Model 3s.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/27/analyst-slashes-his-tesla-model-3-fourth-quarter-forecast.html

This can't be good...

Tesla employees say automaker is churning out a high volume of flawed parts requiring costly rework

Tesla employees say the company is manufacturing a high ratio of flawed parts and vehicles that need rework and repairs.
The electrical vehicle maker has had to ship some flawed parts to remanufacturing facilities to avoid scrapping them, rather than fixing them in-line, according to sources; Tesla denies this.
CEO Elon Musk is under pressure to ramp up production of the Model 3 sedan, Tesla's first mass-market electric vehicle.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/tesla-manufacturing-high-volume-of-flawed-parts-employees.html

Got a refund for my day 1 reservation last year just before the first Model 3s rolled off the (handmade) line and haven't looked back.  I just don't think Tesla is ready for primetime with mass-market vehicles.  They have enough issues as it is with servicing the Model S and X on the road.  One Takata-esque recall and these guys are toast.

Plus, I prefer to lease and there weren't going to be any initial opportunities to lease a Model 3 (through Tesla anyway).

Godspeed to the 123,000 Model S owners bringing their car in to the already over-burdened service centers.

Tesla Recalls 123,000 Model S Cars Over Bolt Issue

Tesla Inc. is voluntarily recalling about 123,000 Model S sedans globally after discovering that certain corroding bolts in cold weather climates could lead to a power-steering failure.

The recall on Thursday only involves the Model S. Tesla said its service center in Montreal began noticing the issue in Model S sedans and attributed the corrosion to the calcium or magnesium salts used to treat roadways during the winter months. If the bolts fail, the car can still be steered but requires additional force.

?This primarily makes the car harder to drive at low speeds and for parallel parking, but does not materially affect control at high speed, where only small steering wheel force is needed,? the company said.

The cost of the recall is expected to be minimal, Tesla said, with the supplier paying for the new part.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-recalls-123-000-model-s-cars-over-bolt-issue-1522361482?mod=e2fb

Lol.  The cost is minimal because the supplier is paying for the bolt?  So...the $1 bolts are free to Tesla but the $100+/hour of labor is being covered by...sandy claws?

Car defects are like roaches. 

Tesla is a cult. Same for Land Rover. I know because even after $$$$$$ at the repair shop and years of deprogramming, there's still a soft spot in my head for my long gone LR Discovery. A family member of mine is a devotee of Elon. "A bolt here, a water leak there.... who cares! Its a Tesla. I'm helping the environment" goes the thinking. (PS - I'm reminded of the old, but similar, saw "The only pollutants the Prius sends into the atmosphere is smug")

Shareholders are making more noise about the company than owners (for now), and rightly so. The company is either going to fold, or get drawn under the wing of a bigger automaker soon. Musk isn't a manager, he's the guy from "The Music Man" trying to divert attention away from all the trouble in River City.

My 02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Tesla is a cult. Same for Land Rover. I know because even after $$$$$$ at the repair shop and years of deprogramming, there's still a soft spot in my head for my long gone LR Discovery. A family member of mine is a devotee of Elon. "A bolt here, a water leak there.... who cares! Its a Tesla" goes the thinking.

Shareholders are making more noise about the company than owners (for now), and rightly so. The company is either going to fold, or get drawn under the wing of a bigger automaker soon. Musk isn't a manager, he's the guy from "The Music Man" trying to divert our attention away from all the trouble in River City.

My 02c

It is most certainly a cult.  They're doing great things for the environment and leading the way, but emotion is outpacing logic and rationale for many of their supporters.  Tesla is going to have a come to Jesus moment if they continue to deliver $50k Model 3s with less than stellar build quality.

Tesla?s ?day of reckoning? is near as its plunging stock increases financing risk

Morgan Stanley on Wednesday warned Tesla shareholders the stock's fall could be a "self-fulfilling" prophecy for further declines.
Tesla "faces liquidity pressures due to its large negative free cash flow and the pending maturities of convertible bonds," a Moody's release said Tuesday.
Some investors are betting against Tesla, citing its financial issues and cash burn woes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/30/teslas-day-of-reckoning-is-near-as-its-plunging-stock-increases-risk.html
https://youtu.be/ubIpoPjBUds

morekaos said:
To be fair...

There's a new biggest Tesla bull on Wall Street: Analyst predicts 40% surge to $500 in just 12 months

Nomura Instinet initiated coverage on Tesla shares with a buy rating and set a 12-month price target of $500, representing 44 percent upside to Tuesday's close. It now has the highest Tesla price forecast out of the 19 research shops that cover the company, according to FactSet.
"We believe that Tesla, much like Intel in the 1990s, is well positioned to accrue most of the profits in the electric vehicle value chain," the firm's analyst says.
Tesla shares rose 1 percent in Wednesday's premarket trading after the report.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/04/nomura-instinet-is-biggest-tesla-bull-on-street-with-500-forecast.html

It looks like this buy upgrade was pretty much the nail in the coffin. Hit the peak price almost perfectly, why I hate analyst recs

Soylent Green Is People said:
Tesla is a cult. Same for Land Rover. I know because even after $$$$$$ at the repair shop and years of deprogramming, there's still a soft spot in my head for my long gone LR Discovery. A family member of mine is a devotee of Elon. "A bolt here, a water leak there.... who cares! Its a Tesla. I'm helping the environment" goes the thinking. (PS - I'm reminded of the old, but similar, saw "The only pollutants the Prius sends into the atmosphere is smug")

Shareholders are making more noise about the company than owners (for now), and rightly so. The company is either going to fold, or get drawn under the wing of a bigger automaker soon. Musk isn't a manager, he's the guy from "The Music Man" trying to divert attention away from all the trouble in River City.

My 02c

There's trouble right here in Palo Alto...it start with a T and an E and an S, L, A and that spells TESLA
https://youtu.be/LI_Oe-jtgdI

tic, tic, tic, tic, tic...

MW-GH368_tslaCh_20180415213802_NS.jpg

Tesla needs to be very concerned about the invisible psychological tipping point that could rocket it toward bankruptcy.  There's currently a normal, somewhat linear ebb and flow of revenue and valuation, driven by headlines, analysis, production, sales, etc.  But if potential buyers begin to perceive a risk to the long-term viability of the car's manufacturer, they will certainly think twice before buying one.  Panic would snowball and sales could plummet.  There weren't any crowds of fanboys lining up to buy Pontiacs when the brand was being eliminated.  It's plausible this could start to take effect at a relatively high stock price; it could take less time for the stock to go from 200 to 0 than it'll take to go to 200.

Back