Tesla Model 3

True, but being the early adopters, you'd get the full tax credits and most likely hov stickers.  May run out in 2018.

(I didn't put anything down, not in line, but this looks more appealing than its competitors)

AW said:
True, but being the early adopters, you'd get the full tax credits and most likely hov stickers.  May run out in 2018.

(I didn't put anything down, not in line, but this looks more appealing than its competitors)

CA wants to extend the rebates.

jmoney74 said:
AW said:

CA wants to extend the rebates.

The federal one is $7,500 to expire? (Something like that)

The $7500 actually gets phased down the first quarter after 200,000 sold. I think it goes to $3750 and then $1875.

The Fed will probably re-up that (there were proposals to actually increase the credit to $10k).

Regardless of any issues, a 200+ mile range EV with luxury features like the Model 3 is a good buy even at $35k.

irvinehomeowner said:
The $7500 actually gets phased down the first quarter after 200,000 sold. I think it goes to $3750 and then $1875.

The Fed will probably re-up that (there were proposals to actually increase the credit to $10k).

Regardless of any issues, a 200+ mile range EV with luxury features like the Model 3 is a good buy even at $35k.

When you have the time read this article. It speculates about the model 3 price and talks about the options.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4092758-seen-44000-49000-tesla-model-3-yet

My comment:
After reading the article I thought of a question. Is the upgrade a requirement or do you get skipped if you don't want the upgrade? (Like the so called new house process?

I think only the Premium upgraded models will be available first in California according to another article I read (can't remember where).

So, yeah, you probably get NewHoused if you don't opt for the upgrade.

If you signed up first day and real early, you can get the base $35k around nov to jan timeframe, larger battery around oct to dec.

morekaos said:
I've said it 100 times, this company cannot survive without government subsidies.  Now that Trump is going to choke them off, Looks like moon beam is going to supply it

It looks like the state of California is bailing out Tesla

The California state Assembly passed a $3-billion subsidy program for electric vehicles, dwarfing the existing program. The bill is now in the state Senate. If passed, it will head to Governor Jerry Brown, who has not yet indicated if he?d sign what is ostensibly an effort to put EV sales into high gear, but below the surface appears to be a Tesla bailout.

Tesla will soon hit the limit of the federal tax rebates, which are good for the first 200,000 EVs sold in the US per manufacturer beginning in December 2009 (IRS explanation). In the second quarter after the manufacturer hits the limit, the subsidy gets cut in half, from $7,500 to $3,750; two quarters later, it gets cut to $1,875. Two quarters later, it goes to zero.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-stock-price-california-state-government-bailing-out-2017-7?IR=T

I read the article and decided it would be the dumbest implementation ever so I read the actual bill which is nothing like the article. Quotes from the actual bill:

(2) Establish a declining rebate plan for the initiative that includes an initial rebate to purchasers of a compact electric vehicle in an amount that establishes a net purchase price, after incentives and tax credits, that approximates the cost of the most frequently sold compact car in the state and gradually reduces the rebate to zero as the program moves to each subsequent rebate step based on achieving successful market penetration targets by income segment.

(3) The funding plan required pursuant to paragraph (1) shall establish a rebate segment for each rebate step to further increase access to and direct benefits from electric vehicles for low- and moderate-income consumers. Those segments may include, but need not limited to, any of the following:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1184

I hope I'm wrong but...

It?s Time to Stop Spending Taxpayer Dollars on Elon Musk and Cronyism

The Senate Finance Committee and the House Ways and Means Committee have launched a probe into tax incentives paid to solar companies, according to The Wall Street Journal. The committee probes, led by their respective Republican chairmen, Rep. Kevin Brady of Texas and Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, have found an appropriate and disturbing target to begin this work.

SolarCity, a solar installation company set to be purchased by Tesla Motors Inc., is one of the seven companies named in the initial investigation.

Notably, SolarCity is run by Musk?s cousins, Lyndon and Peter Rive. During his chairmanship at SolarCity, Musk?s family enterprise has taken in billions of taxpayer dollars in subsidies from both the federal and local governments. But the subsidies and sweetheart deals were not enough, as losses and missed projections continued to mount.

Ultimately, rather than endure the embarrassment of collapse and further damage to the public image of Musk and Tesla, the cousins conspired to have Tesla simply purchase SolarCity this year. The conditions of the deal screamed foul play.

And with Tesla, SolarCity in fact will be right at home, compounding a disastrous shell game that Elon Musk is playing with government resources.

It has been widely reported that among SolarCity, Tesla, and the rocket company SpaceX, Elon Musk?s confederacy of interests has gotten at least $4.9 billion in taxpayer support over the past 10 years.

This is almost half of Musk?s supposed net worth?taken from the pockets of American citizens and put into companies that can survive only by cannibalizing each other, spending without end, and promising that success is always just beyond the horizon and yet never arrives.

The American people are being taken on a ride by SolarCity, Tesla, and Musk. The ride is fueled by a cult of personality in Musk. And it costs billions of taxpayer dollars as he promises us not only the moon, but to harness the power of the sun and send us all to Mars.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/11/13/its-time-to-stop-spending-taxpayer-dollars-on-elon-musk-and-cronyism/
https://youtu.be/8DO0kxKMHIA

Hmmmmm....

Tesla will lose a quarter of its value after production falls short of Street expectations: Jefferies

Jefferies started coverage on Tesla shares at an underperform rating.
"Achievements to-date and vision are impressive, but we don't think Tesla's vertically integrated business model can be scaled up as profitably and quickly as consensus thinks and valuation multiples imply," the firm said.
The research firm set a 12-month price target for Tesla shares at $280, representing 27 percent downside from Monday's close.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/tesla-to-plunge-nearly-30-percent-on-weak-profitability-jefferies.html

Historically, car companies have not been good investments.  They are capital intensive and prone to taking on too much debt.  Many, many visionary car makers have gone out of business.  People need to stop believing this nonsense that Musk is some kind of genius.  There are literally 30 other car companies doing what he is doing, but they don't get any media attention and their valuations are lousy because their CEO's aren't seen as "futurists".  He is a great salesman for his product, but he doesn't have magic powers.  The normal laws of economics apply to Tesla just like they do to everybody else.

Liar Loan said:
Historically, car companies have not been good investments.  They are capital intensive and prone to taking on too much debt.  Many, many visionary car makers have gone out of business.  People need to stop believing this nonsense that Musk is some kind of genius.  There are literally 30 other car companies doing what he is doing, but they don't get any media attention and their valuations are lousy because their CEO's aren't seen as "futurists".  He is a great salesman for his product, but he doesn't have magic powers.  The normal laws of economics apply to Tesla just like they do to everybody else.

I guess - this is valued like a tech company.

eyephone said:
Liar Loan said:

I guess - this is valued like a tech company.

Why?

Gotta deliver or winter is coming...

Tesla shares to plunge nearly 40% due to weak Model 3 production: Goldman

Goldman analyst David Tamberrino reaffirms his sell rating for Tesla shares, predicting Model 3 production will be slower than expected.
In the third quarter, Tesla delivered 26,150 total vehicles and 220 Model 3 cars versus the FactSet estimates of 25,860 and 1,260 respectively.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/03/tesla-shares-to-plunge-nearly-40-percent-due-to-weak-model-3-production-goldman.html

eyephone said:
aquabliss said:
If Tesla get's under $300 again I'm definitely going to buy.

Gm announced they are going all electric in the future.

Who is going to buy all these electric vehicles? Even in CA they less than 5% of cars? People just don't want them--too expensive and too much of a hassle. Federal and state subsidies are keeping this industry alive.

The US can barely keep up with its current road and bridge infrastructure. I don't see the proper EV infrastructure for all these future cars. This will also have a negative impact on State and Federal revenue from the gas tax which helps pay for roads.

Back