Retail Openings and Closures

What happened to SW Seafood at Walnut/Jeffrey? Looks like they closed down with a sign that says new ownership? Had good old school Cantonese food.

fumbling said:
What happened to SW Seafood at Walnut/Jeffrey? Looks like they closed down with a sign that says new ownership? Had good old school Cantonese food.

Wow...that's pretty surprising.  They were pretty popular...better than Sam Woo but not as good as Tasty Garden.

Bar Louie opened up about a month ago at the district. $5 burgers and fries (or tots) on Tuesday nights.

I like that they have brunch on both Saturday and Sunday from about 10:30 to 2ish vs just Sunday. They have tater tots with cheese sauce, chorizo and peppers on the brunch menu. Would definitely recommend

The place is pretty big. The waitress said they took over the Panera location and some clothing store location. Hopefully it does well since that area has high turnover. Maybe the liquor will save it.

Irvinecommuter said:
fumbling said:

Wow...that's pretty surprising.  They were pretty popular...better than Sam Woo but not as good as Tasty Garden.

The manager at SW moved to Sam Woo on culver.  The ownership of both are related. 
Irvine Co. didn't want two sam woos, so they named the 2nd SW.

zubs said:
Irvinecommuter said:
fumbling said:

The manager at SW moved to Sam Woo on culver.  They are related.  Irvine Co. didn't want two sam woooooos

Ironically...SW was far better than Sam Woo BBQ.    SW was in a non-TIC mall but I wonder if they put pressure on Sam Woo to close SW.

I liked the green soup with the fish bits in it.  They would put the soup in the vitamix blender before serving it.  I heard you can get it at sam woo now.
I actually never went to sam woo because the parking is shite.  worse than SW parking.

zubs said:
I liked the green soup with the fish bits in it.  They would put the soup in the vitamix blender before serving it.  I heard you can get it at sam woo now.
I actually never went to sam woo because the parking is shite.  worse than SW parking.

I don't know...Orangetree parking is pretty insane.  You can at least find a spot at that Culver plaza if you just walk a little.  I have circled Orangetree lot for like 10 minutes and not get a spot.

The burger at The Stand on Alton and Culver is pretty good. In the old smashburger location. Monday special is $10 bacon cheeseburger and PBR.

HMart said:
The burger at The Stand on Alton and Culver is pretty good. In the old smashburger location. Monday special is $10 bacon cheeseburger and PBR.

I really like the stand but if I?m driving to that area I?m going to mooyah on the other side of Jeffrey.

zubs said:
Irvinecommuter said:
fumbling said:

The manager at SW moved to Sam Woo on culver.  The ownership of both are related. 
Irvine Co. didn't want two sam woos, so they named the 2nd SW.

This is interesting since the chinese name is a bit different between SW and Sam Woo.  I always thought SW tried to copy Sam Woo.

qwerty said:
HMart said:

I really like the stand but if I?m driving to that area I?m going to mooyah on the other side of Jeffrey.

Mooyah is probably our favorite place for the price and food.

We ask them to make the fries extra crispy.

qwerty said:
HMart said:

Whoops, my bad. I meant THE CUT. These burger places are starting to blend together.

I thought the burger at The Cut (next to Big 5) was better than Mooyah or The Stand.

We actually prefer the Stand at Oak Creek.  The brussels was pretty good.. got the burger with pulled pork.. it was tasty.. and also the chili fries.. or maybe I just like their beer selection... pastrami burger is my next to try

The Stand has a much larger selection... not just burgers... the pork fries is really good (The Stand is the same owners as The Lime Truck and TLT Foods in the Spectrum).

The Cut is more like a sitdown restaurant and is pricey.

Mooyah is more like Smashburger but much better tasting food. Mooyah also has chili fries (and a chili dog) but cost more than Costco. :)

Yeah, The Cut is a buck or two more than The Stand for comparable food, but I think the flavors are better. I normally love fatty fried food but The Stand had too much cheese and richness for even me which is an achievement.

And also that's why I mentioned the Monday $10 beer + burger special.

Actually if you want a good burger for a great price check out happy hour $6 burgers at Hopdoddy. It's counter service too so you don't have to spend money on tipping if you are worried about that.

Signage is up for 85? Bakery in the shopping center at Irvine Blvd/Newport where Smart & Final is anchored. Don?t know when the grand opening is though.

Back