Retail Openings and Closures

I've never had an issue with parking at Crossroads, there's a ton of it. Even when going to popular places like CA Fish Grill I know I can just park a little bit further away and walk it. When I used to go to that LA Fitness, I knew I could always find parking in the back of house really easily, and it's nice to be able to bike to the center if needed. For me, Culver/Barranca is an extremely central location in Irvine and it's easy to get in and get out.

I do agree that there could be more sidewalks to cut across from the Peet's area to the Capital Noodle bar-adjacent food court area.

Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
Very sad day! Curry House on Culver is closed. Sign on the door says they are moving to a new location and won't reopen until MAY 2019. I'll have to head over to Coco Ichibanya at Diamond Jamboree when jonesing for Japanese curry.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/curry-house-irvine?osq=Japanese+Curry+House

Hmm...that was a good location but the place was too small.

Maybe they sold the place at MAX ROI.
Any idea what's going to be there instead?

Mety said:
Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
Very sad day! Curry House on Culver is closed. Sign on the door says they are moving to a new location and won't reopen until MAY 2019. I'll have to head over to Coco Ichibanya at Diamond Jamboree when jonesing for Japanese curry.

I thought they were leasing that location. (where does that max ROI come to play?)  ;)

eyephone said:
Mety said:
Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:

I thought they were leasing that location. (where does that max ROI come to play?)  ;)

Either the landlord or curryhouse if they did own the unit/land.

Nooooooooooooooo I haven't been there in so long but now I really want it knowing that it's gone. 

I hope they move to Woodbury Town Center or the new Roosevelt Shopping Center.

aquabliss said:
Nooooooooooooooo I haven't been there in so long but now I really want it knowing that it's gone. 

The door sign indicated they were staying in the same mall after shopping center renovations. I'm not sure where they have space left in that mall. I?m guessing there will be some other lease terminations coming up and thus the long delay in reopening.

iacrenter said:
aquabliss said:

The door sign indicated they were staying in the same mall after mall renovations. Not sure where they have space left in that mall. I?m guessing there will be some other lease terminations coming up and thus the long delay in reopening.

That shopping is Irvine Company so no way Curry House owns it.  Probably want a location with better parking.
https://www.shopirvinecompany.com/centers/irvine/walnut-village-center

I like it okay...good service and kids liked going there but pretty darn expensive for what you get.

Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
aquabliss said:

The door sign indicated they were staying in the same mall after mall renovations. Not sure where they have space left in that mall. I?m guessing there will be some other lease terminations coming up and thus the long delay in reopening.

That shopping is Irvine Company so no way Curry House owns it.  Probably want a location with better parking.
https://www.shopirvinecompany.com/centers/irvine/walnut-village-center

I like it okay...good service and kids liked going there but pretty darn expensive for what you get.

I ate there a couple of weeks before they closed and the service had degraded significantly. Long wait to order, no one checking on me for drink refills, and no one wanted to give me a bill. I had to walk up to the counter and pay on my own. I've been here multiple times and have had great experiences in the past. In retrospect, maybe the remaining employees knew the end was near and had little motivation/staffing for better service.

Update to Curry House- The sign on the door reads :

Dear Curry House Irvine Customers,

Due to ongoing renovation of the Walnut Village Center, Curry House will be relocated to the central area of the plaza.  Unfortunately, the renovations on the new assigned space will not be completed until May of 2019.  We regret to inform you that until that time, we must vacate our current space.  Our last day of business will be Wednesday, June 27, 2018. 

We'd like to sincerely apologize for the disappointment and inconvenience this will cause.  And while we hope that you will have a chance to visit our other restaurant locations during this time, we want to thank you for your continued patronage at our Irvine restaurant.  We hope you enjoyed our restaurant as much as we enjoyed serving you, and hope to see you again at our new location in the near future.

This has been sent to those who are registered with Irvine store's emailing list.  Please stay subscribed so we can keep you updated on our reopening situation.

Sincerely,

Curry House Corporate Office

eyephone said:
Do you happen to have any affiliation with curry house?

Not sure who you're addressing but I do not. I just copy/pasted what I found on their yelp review page. I often alternated between curry house and cocos when I was craving some japanese curry

Ansar Food Gallery is gone.  It's a huge space for any business to take.  Guess it's back to Super Irvine for my Persian grocery shopping.

woodburyowner said:
Ansar Food Gallery is gone.  It's a huge space for any business to take.  Guess it's back to Super Irvine for my Persian grocery shopping.

I find these ethnic grocery stores interesting. It's very dependent on location.

For example, Farmers Market Direct on Jeffrey/Michelson used to be Persian, didn't do well even thought the Wholesome Choice on Culver/Michelson does okay. Then they became Persian + Asian (Korean) and finally converted to ZionMart which is Korean and looks to be doing okay. But when the Assi in Woodbridge was open (also Korean), it did not do well and closed (I believe some of the same management went to ZionMart). HMart in DJ does well, Zion Market in Northwood seems to do well... both Korean. Super Irvine has been in Irvine forever. I thought Ansar would be okay.

How is Mitsuwa? I know the one in Costa Mesa is always crowded... at least the food court area is.

Both Ranch 99s seem to be okay... how is Seafood City (Filipino)?

So weird... back in the day none of these places existed (except for Super Irvine).

irvinehomeowner said:
woodburyowner said:

I find these ethnic grocery stores interesting. It's very dependent on location.

For example, Farmers Market Direct on Jeffrey/Michelson used to be Persian, didn't do well even thought the Wholesome Choice on Culver/Michelson does okay. Then they became Persian + Asian (Korean) and finally converted to ZionMart which is Korean and looks to be doing okay. But when the Assi in Woodbridge was open (also Korean), it did not do well and closed (I believe some of the same management went to ZionMart). HMart in DJ does well, Zion Market in Northwood seems to do well... both Korean. Super Irvine has been in Irvine forever. I thought Ansar would be okay.

How is Mitsuwa? I know the one in Costa Mesa is always crowded... at least the food court area is.

So weird... back in the day none of these places existed (except for Super Irvine).
i've been in seafood city quite a few times, and whenever i go it's relatively dead.  the food courts have average draw, but the supermarket section in the back seems like a total dud.

irvinehomeowner said:
woodburyowner said:

For ethnic people, the main draw is price. They don't want to pay more for an upscale shopping experience. The most successful ethnic market is Zion. Zion is crowded, loud, messy, but all Asians love it because they have the lowest prices.

CACowboy said:
Update to Curry House- The sign on the door reads :

Dear Curry House Irvine Customers,

Due to ongoing renovation of the Walnut Village Center, Curry House will be relocated to the central area of the plaza.  Unfortunately, the renovations on the new assigned space will not be completed until May of 2019.  We regret to inform you that until that time, we must vacate our current space.  Our last day of business will be Wednesday, June 27, 2018. 

We'd like to sincerely apologize for the disappointment and inconvenience this will cause.  And while we hope that you will have a chance to visit our other restaurant locations during this time, we want to thank you for your continued patronage at our Irvine restaurant.  We hope you enjoyed our restaurant as much as we enjoyed serving you, and hope to see you again at our new location in the near future.

This has been sent to those who are registered with Irvine store's emailing list.  Please stay subscribed so we can keep you updated on our reopening situation.

Sincerely,

Curry House Corporate Office

The whole left side of Walnut Village is due for a remodel. Smart and Final was just phase 1.

Back