Retail Openings and Closures

woodburyowner said:
Beijing Restaurant took over Lunar Chinese Restaurant in the Zion shopping plaza.  No Yelp page up yet.  Anyone have any details?

Interesting...I am amazed that Lunar lasted that long. 

Hope it is a northern noodle place.  Need more casual restaurants in that mall.

aquabliss said:
Yes I talked to the staff it's a permanent outlet location.  Typically outlet prices are 30% off but I think at least for this weekend it will be 30% off + an additional 30% promo.  So prices are just as good as warehouse for a short while.  They really didn't do anything to the inside since the warehouse sale so very minimal investment for them.

I heard a sales lady last night talking to a couple who was looking at some overpriced huge spotlight / glass looking piece saying  "don't think about the price, think about how much it means to you and how much you want it in your home.  Furniture isn't a monetary purchase, it's an emotional purchase".    She actually said this with a straight face and I thought to myself that crap talk will never work - then literally 5 second pause and the wife goes "that's it we're getting it".  Wow, just wow.

Paging Ronnie...

RH Outlet sale - 40% everything starting today

Irvinecommuter said:
woodburyowner said:
Beijing Restaurant took over Lunar Chinese Restaurant in the Zion shopping plaza.  No Yelp page up yet.  Anyone have any details?

Tried to eat lunch there today.  Place was packed so I left.  It's the same chain as the on in Rowland.  This place will probably take some business away from Meizou Dongpo.

woodburyowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
woodburyowner said:

Tried to eat lunch there today.  Place was packed so I left.  It's the same chain as the on in Rowland.  This place will probably take some business away from Meizou Dongpo.

I don't think MD because MD is szechuan cooking...very unique style.  This place looks like a Northern Chinese cuisine...noodles, dumplings, pancakes...seems interesting.  I think the Chinese restaurants at Woodbury and OH may take a hit though.

Irvinecommuter said:
woodburyowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
woodburyowner said:

I don't think MD because MD is szechuan cooking...very unique style.  This place looks like a Northern Chinese cuisine...noodles, dumplings, pancakes...seems interesting.  I think the Chinese restaurants at Woodbury and OH may take a hit though.

I should have clarified.. was referring to the peking duck.  There aren't many places to get this dish.

irvinehomeowner said:
Has anyone been to that Kashgar Grill near Irvine Valley College? I don't think I'll ever eat there because they specialize in lamb dishes and me no eat baa-baas.

That wasn't very long.

Kashgar got replaced by some place called Noodology.

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Has anyone been to that Kashgar Grill near Irvine Valley College? I don't think I'll ever eat there because they specialize in lamb dishes and me no eat baa-baas.

That wasn't very long.

Kashgar got replaced by some place called Noodology.

Yea, it got replaced a few months ago.  Noodology is actually really good.  Had to wait 15 minutes for dinner on a weeknight.  All hardcore mainlanders in there.

irvinehomeowner said:
The Stand has a much larger selection... not just burgers... the pork fries is really good (The Stand is the same owners as The Lime Truck and TLT Foods in the Spectrum).

The Cut is more like a sitdown restaurant and is pricey.

Mooyah is more like Smashburger but much better tasting food. Mooyah also has chili fries (and a chili dog) but cost more than Costco. :)

Thanks for this post!  I took my family here twice since reading it and it?s very good.  French Onion Soup Burger was excellent and the sides are great.  Have to try Mooyah next.

http://gratergrilledcheese.com/

This place just opened in Sand Canyon Plaza (corner of Sand Canyon and Irvine Center).  Kind of a weird industrial park plaza that is usually dead on weekends.  Menu looks interesting and much more appealing than "the melt". 

Reviews for other locations are mixed but I'll probably give it a try.

Kind of weird but I was getting something from Lowe's yesterday and the Carters in Irvine is completely boarded up and closed (no sign or anything).  Everything empty. Usually they'd do some going out of business sale or have a relocation sign up. Thought it was a little odd (and my wife was literally there like the week before). 

At Crossroads, Southern Spice Indian Kitchen is open... Inchin's Bamboo Garden restaurant finally is too.

Been a while since I've been to that center and it's not full of vacant spaces anymore... there is even a Tastea open over by Urban Foods (which reminds me, the Cha for Tea and Yogurtland are open in the Woodbridge Center also).

Urban Plates, but yeah. Their food is really excellent for the price IMO. Same for California Fish Grill, which remodeled semi-recently.

Crossroads is doing alright. I remember when Mervyn's closed there and things looked pretty dire.

Inchin is an odd niche, it's Indianized Chinese food. I don't know if there's enough Indian customers or cross-cultural appeal for that one, but I would be intrigued to learn. They have some odd looking benches hanging from the ceiling too.

Did not like Inchins.

At the Spectrum, I noticed Rubys *and* Red Robin closed. Who thought Johnny Rockets would outlast those 2.

Also Creme, the ice cream cookie sandwich place closed, replaced by Somi Somi (?), an ice cream taiyaki place (was desolate when we first went there and now has a line the next two times we went).

Joon Shabu finally opened at the District. AMC there is lame, we?ve been there 3 different times to watch a movie and they are always sold out, we then go to Regal at The Marketplace or Metro Pointe for the same movie around the same time and can get in. I guess you have to go to AMC 2-3 hours ahead of time.

Speaking of taiyaki, Mochilato in Heritage Plaze is now just called Mochi. Maybe monopi can tell us what happened to ownership there.

irvinehomeowner said:
Did not like Inchins.

At the Spectrum, I noticed Rubys *and* Red Robin closed. Who thought Johnny Rockets would outlast those 2.

Also Creme, the ice cream cookie sandwich place closed, replaced by Somi Somi (?), an ice cream taiyaki place (was desolate when we first went there and now has a line the next two times we went).

Joon Shabu finally opened at the District. AMC there is lame, we?ve been there 3 different times to watch a movie and they are always sold out, we then go to Regal at The Marketplace or Metro Pointe for the same movie around the same time and can get in. I guess you have to go to AMC 2-3 hours ahead of time.

Speaking of taiyaki, Mochilato in Heritage Plaze is now just called Mochi. Maybe monopi can tell us what happened to ownership there.

Somi Somi is a Koreatown staple.  It's good but pretty pricey IMO

My understanding is that Mochilato got bought by a Chinese owner, who changed the name.  Also, Paris Baguette now in that area.

My issue with Crossroads is that it's too spreadout...food court area is meh and the other parts are all the way across the parking lot.

Agree with the Crossroads concerns. It?s definitely congested and it is not pedestrian friendly when grabbing food from any place in the center.

Back