Retail Openings and Closures

kalbi said:
traceimage said:
A restaurant called Honey Pig is opening in the Trabuco Grove plaza, where La Salsa used to be. The guy putting up the sign said it will serve Korean bbq.

seriously? honey pig is delicious!!!!!!

Really? Hmm. I didn't know it was an established restaurant opening a new outpost. I'm not a big fan of Korean bbq, though, so I probably won't be checking it out.

There goes the neighborhood...

Daiso Japan to open next to Total Woman Gym on Culver.  I'm not too familiar with Daiso, upon googling, found out it's the Japanese equivalent of the dollar store with alot of cheapwares from China.  It's gonna replace all the cheapy Ikea stuff we have around the house.

More info..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daiso

Yelp reviews of current Daiso chains in U.S.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/daiso-japan-union-cityhttp://www.yelp.com/biz/daiso-japan-san-jose

(not the same demographics as Irvine..)

EDIT:

found one in cupertino
http://www.yelp.com/biz/daiso-cupertino

Favorable reviews, looking forward to browsing.

What on earth is going on at the Crossing shopping center? The one on Culver/Barranca, is that what it is called? I was over there today, for the first time in a while, and it seems like half the plaza is out of business.

traceimage said:
What on earth is going on at the Crossing shopping center? The one on Culver/Barranca, is that what it is called? I was over there today, for the first time in a while, and it seems like half the plaza is out of business.
Yep.

Has been like that for a while... long time businesses there are gone.

Athough... Stonefire Grill always seems busy... and Chipotle.

Strange how a center anchored by Target can have such high vacancy.

Since the LA Fitness opened... maybe put a Jamba Juice in there?

Legacy at the District killed this strip mall. The Target there is just riding out the long term 30 year lease signed in late 80s. That time is near and the one at the District is the flagship store.

Shifting of demographic from white to Persian and Chindians will continue to erode American mainstream commercial and retails. After housing the limited discretionary income can't be spent all over to save the dying breeds of Stripmall retails. Diamond Jamboree, Arbor, and Heritage stole a large chunk of market shares.

TIC is run by whites and there is no minorities in the executive power house who understands the ethnic cultire. This is why TIC missed the target for the majority of the Irvine population.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Legacy at the District killed this strip mall. The Target there is just riding out the long term 30 year lease signed in late 80s. That time is near and the one at the District is the flagship store.

Shifting of demographic from white to Persian and Chindians will continue to erode American mainstream commercial and retails. After housing the limited discretionary income can't be spent all over to save the dying breeds of Stripmall retails. Diamond Jamboree, Arbor, and Heritage stole a large chunk of market shares.

TIC is run by whites and there is no minorities in the executive power house who understands the ethnic cultire. This is why TIC missed the target for the majority of the Irvine population.

We frequent the Target located at the Spectrum.
It seems to draw a lot of it?s customers from the surrounding areas.
We?ve run into several families from Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, and Laguna Hills while shopping there.
One family came from Foothill Ranch and preferred the Spectrum Target over their local one because it?s old and dated. 
Do you think an update or new look would help the Target at Crossroads attract the customers it lost to the newer Target at the District?

They actually just updated the Crossroads Target.

When they put in the grocery area last year and they just redid the snack eating area a week or two ago.

USCTrojanCPA said:
If it wasn't for Chipolte and the California Fish Grill, I'd never go into the Crossroads Shopping Center.

Same with us.
We go there for the Wingstop and California Fish Grill.
I would like to check out the new LA Fitness but haven't had the time.

That strip mall will die. It is just a matter of time TIC will get it rezone to residential so IHO could be next to his beloved 405 and possibly getting his 3CWG.

I forget the name but something is moving into the Costco center on Bryan where the Kmart used to be.  Feels like its been vacant at least 3 years.  It was some company I never heard of, I want to say its like International something.  Must be pretty big.  I was hoping Costco would turn it into a gas station.

You meant where Sears used to be?

26inirvine said:
I forget the name but something is moving into the Costco center on Bryan where the Kmart used to be.  Feels like its been vacant at least 3 years.  It was some company I never heard of, I want to say its like International something.  Must be pretty big.  I was hoping Costco would turn it into a gas station.

You are correct.  Shows how long its been since I have been there.  Last time I went it was a Kmart (I'm guessing it was 2003 or 2004) and it was just a mess.  I never went in after they converted it to a Sears Essential.  Hard to go there when in the same shopping center at Costco and then Target is right down the street.

Not sure if this was posted but Red Robin is taking over the old Marmalade Cafe spot in The District.

In&Out, 5 Guys and Red Robin all in the same center... get a Tommy's in there already!

Back