Retail Openings and Closures

Irvine could use more florists: A population of 200,000+ with less than 6 florists is the city. I guess Costco is technically a florist and flowers near the Home Depot exit aisle for the very special ladies. If she is great then may be she deserves the flowers from Albertsons.

The other certain profession demands 200 roses instead of a dozen so there should be more florists in Irvine. No one believes in romance anymore?
Patrick J. Star said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Irvine could use more florists: A population of 200,000+ with less than 6 florists is the city. I guess Costco is technically a florist and flowers near the Home Depot exit aisle for the very special ladies. If she is great then may be she deserves the flowers from Albertsons.

But maybe with more florists there would be less of a market for certain other professions in high demand? 

irvinehomeshopper said:
The other certain profession demands 200 roses instead of a dozen so there should be more florists in Irvine. No one believes in romance anymore?
Patrick J. Star said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

But maybe with more florists there would be less of a market for certain other professions in high demand? 
Who needs red roses when there is "red towel" service available in Irvine?  ;)

Does anyone notice how many more banks are opening in Irvine? And not just the big ones opening up additional branches (Citibank took over the old Blockbuster location in Oak Creek) but also ones I never heard of like Mega Bank (I think they are taking over the other Blockbuster in Westpark) and Opus Bank.

They're like mortgage companies... they just keep popping up.

irvinehomeowner said:
Does anyone notice how many more banks are opening in Irvine? And not just the big ones opening up additional branches (Citibank took over the old Blockbuster location in Oak Creek) but also ones I never heard of like Mega Bank (I think they are taking over the other Blockbuster in Westpark) and Opus Bank.

Yes, it's very annoying. I just noticed "Mega Bank" the other day. What the heck is that???

What we need is more independent pizzerias and Mexican and Chinese restaurants, not banks!

traceimage said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Yes, it's very annoying. I just noticed "Mega Bank" the other day. What the heck is that???

What we need is more independent pizzerias and Mexican and Chinese restaurants, not banks!
Maybe they are trying to get all those FBCers to open up bank accounts and throw their cash in there.

Had Gen Korean BBQ for lunch, $15 AYCE, great deal.  The kalbi was my favorite followed by the beef tongue and shrimp.  Two hour limited, clock starts when the waiter takes ur order.  I don't see how u can eat for two hrs straight, we took just a little over an hour.  Good selection of meats including stuff I've never seen before (stomach, small and large intestines).  Service was refreshingly good for a Korean restaurant.  Waiter checked in on us quite frequently for additional orders.  We showed up at 11:15 and was second on the list.  I think by 11:30 the list was already full.  They're expanding and remodeling the useless yakitori bar.  Better then Korea House on Jeffrey and Seoul Garden on Red Hill.  Where else can u get $15 AYCE kalbi that's actually good?

$20 for dinner, still pretty good price, you order off menu and they bring it to the table...You know it's a good sign for a restaurant when you're in a crowded small waiting room with rude Korean grandmas... 

ps99472 said:
thanks for the recs... outside of Irvine, we usually go to Ten Shabu in West Covina when visiting family..  also Ichi Ichi in Rowland Heights is pretty decent as well...there was a hot pot place (wu-ji?) that has a sour cabbage stock as your hot pot but sadly they closed down a few years ago... if someone knows another place that can do sour cabbage, please let me know.. 

My babysitter back in Changhua Taiwan is from Manchuria and used to cook sour napa fatty pork hot pot (????????) daily.  She also hand made steamed corn buns.  When I flew back to TW to visit her in the 2000's, she had moved to the retirement community of "Rose City" in Taipei up by a mountain side with cleaner air.  She had lived in Germany with her youngest son for few years before moving back to Taiwan, and we chatted about sauerkraut and running Chinese takeout restuarant in Germany.  Lo and behold, for lunch she still had the same large pot of sour napa with sliced fatty pork, complete with steamed corn buns on her dining table.  >_<

For those unfamiliar, it looks something like this:

0000211929_b.jpg

ps99472 said:
Had Gen Korean BBQ for lunch, $15 AYCE, great deal.  The kalbi was my favorite followed by the beef tongue and shrimp.  Two hour limited, clock starts when the waiter takes ur order.  I don't see how u can eat for two hrs straight, we took just a little over an hour.  Good selection of meats including stuff I've never seen before (stomach, small and large intestines).  Service was refreshingly good for a Korean restaurant.  Waiter checked in on us quite frequently for additional orders.  We showed up at 11:15 and was second on the list.  I think by 11:30 the list was already full.  They're expanding and remodeling the useless yakitori bar.  Better then Korea House on Jeffrey and Seoul Garden on Red Hill.  Where else can u get $15 AYCE kalbi that's actually good?
So your advice is to arrive by 11:15am to ensure you get a spot?  :D

A short (ancient) history on Shabu Shabu:

During the Meiji-jidai (Meiji period, 1868-1912), Japan moved from isolationism to industrialization, modernization, and international trade.  Consumption of beef was legalized and many foreign foods, spices, and new cooking methods were introduced.  Port cities like Yokohama and Osaka had many foreign traders and influences on local cuisine.

In late Meiji-period year 43 (1910), a Japanese restaurateur opened ?Suehiro? in Osaka, serving both local and foreign cuisine.  After WW2, during mid-Sh?wa era Year 27 (1952), it?s said that a chef at this restaurant started serving ?Shabu-shabu?  hot pot, based on a thinly sliced lamb hot pot from China.  In 1955 the dish was popular enough that the owner of the restaurant decided to trademark it.

Japanese style Shabu-shabu tend to use simple soup base of boiling water with kombu or light broth, versus Nabemono tend to have more complex soup base.  Some say that Suehiro?s secret recipe is the goma (sesame) dipping sauce, which gives flavor to the meat.  Chinese style hot pot tends to have more complex and heavy soup base, but the dipping sauce (if any) tends to be simple.  However, tastes do change and you may find more spicy foods and complex shabu shabu soup base at Japanese restaurants today.

Our ancestors have cooked food in boiling water or soup for many thousands of years.  But the shabu shabu, or ?swish swish? style requires the meat to be thinly sliced, so it can be cooked quickly as you swish the meat in the hot pot.  The earliest known record of this style of hot pot dates back to Qin and Han dynasty approx. 2200 years ago.  Back then they used the Chinese character ??? (zhu? / ????), which means ?wash out? or ?rinse?.  Obviously, the meat has to be sliced thin to be cooked in this style, where you ?wash and rinse? the meat in the boiling soup before consumption.

Since moo moo?s were used for farming, the Chinese hot pot of 200 BCE did not usually use sliced beef.  In 1971, diggers found very well preserved Han Dynasty burial sites called Mawangdui (???) in Hunan.  The people buried in the tombs were from local nobility/feudal lords, who were well fed and were buried with a variety of goods and food stuffs.  They found written catalogue of burial goods in the tomb detailing everything that was put in, including food stuffs that have long since expired.  On the catalogue they found  ???? and ????, zhu? style chicken hot pot and pork hot pot.

The tombs were dated to Western Han (206 BCE ? 9 BCE) and the women in tomb no. 1 was so well preserved, doctors were able to perform an autopsy.  She was the wife of a local feudal lord and ate very well.  Doctors concluded that she died in her 50?s from heart attack due to clogged arteries and eating too much sugar and fatty meats.  She was ?obese? and buried with a large collection of food stuffs.  In her stomach the doctors found over 100 melon seeds from her last meal (guess they didn?t spit the seeds back then).
  http://www.historywiz.com/didyouknow/ladydai.html

USCTrojanCPA said:
ps99472 said:
So your advice is to arrive by 11:15am to ensure you get a spot?  :D

for lunch yes...dinner i hear can have waits up to 2 hrs from yelp reviews...

Round Table Pizza in the center on Alton and Culver closed... the one next to Jalapenos.

I like their pizza but now that the chains are all price battling with $10 or less... they just couldn't compete.

Claim jumpers site still empty?  Is this TIC property?  I like this shopping center, only bad thing is its hard to exit.  Which come to think of it, majority of these Irvine hub shopping centers have difficult exits, is it to minimize disruption of traffic on the major arteries (Culver, Jamboree, Jeffrey)?

ps99472 said:
Claim jumpers site still empty?  Is this TIC property?
Yep... at least they tenanted the Blockbuster space (with a bank of course).

Hometown Buffet should go into the CJ spot (heh).

ps99472 said:
Claim jumpers site still empty?  Is this TIC property?  I like this shopping center, only bad thing is its hard to exit.  Which come to think of it, majority of these Irvine hub shopping centers have difficult exits, is it to minimize disruption of traffic on the major arteries (Culver, Jamboree, Jeffrey)?

I believe that is the case. Irvinehomeshopper mentioned that was the case as to why diamond jamboree didnt have an entrance/exit off of jamboree

800' before an Irvine major artery and its intersection is off limit to driveways and entrances unless a deceleration land is provided (never due to land premium). The older plazas are grandfather in and Irvine will not close their driveways. However the corner gas stations are a nuisance and the city wants them out. The station owners have the right and long term lease but they have to keep the place clean and no infractions.

At Culver Plaza the bank will take the entire space and the large opening has been filled in.

Back