Recommendations for landscaping companies

RCV said:
RCV said:
broda said:
eyephone said:
Thanks for your feedback

It took 2.5 months? (wow - you must have a lot of upgrades - BBQ, fire pit?)

That's the sad part.  All I had done are antique cobble pavers and my 2 feet along the wall that HOA requires.  But after initial debacle his crew made, we had to pull everything up and re-lay the pavers down.  Forgot putting the weed block under the pavers, I started in mid Oct, during Thanksgiving and X-mas break they disappeared on me. for about 2 weeks each.  Picked the wrong plants that I asked for.  I called Mahe with each error and he corrected it, but if I just micro managed them in the beginning I could have saved myself time and headache.

Don't get me wrong, Mahe and Sam are super nice guys...and they will fix the problem.  They won't run out on you, or try to cheat you.  But Sam isn't the greatest project manager, and Mahe isn't always around.

Yes, you are right.  I never got the impression that Mahe will walk away and rip me off.  My problem really is the same as yours.  I feel I have to micromanage every step of the way to make sure it is moving along.  I have no doubt that our landscaping will turn out great because of the development I am seeing.  Mahe promised me end of the month it will be done.  We'll see.

FYI - when I signed the contract, it wasn't Aloha Landscaping on the contract.  It was just Mahe's name.

I am beyond frustrated.  No work has been done on our landscaping this week.  I called Mahe 3x on different occasions and I still have not been able to talk to him.  He promised this job will be done in 3 weeks, it's now more than 1.5 months, oh my gawd.  To those even considering Mahe Laivaa/Aloha Landscaping - BEWARE!!
Sounds like your on the 2.5 month plan.

Hmmmmm, this is interesting.

vonwrede use Land Reform Construction for his backyard last year.
vonwrede said:
I used Land Reform Construction for my backyard.  They do a lot of new homes and take it from just dirt to a backyard oasis.  Kendall (owner) is always really fast and they have a guaranteed finish date, if they don't finish on time they will pay you per day that its not finished.  I've referred a few people and everyone loves them not including the "friends of clients" discount they passed along to my friends.  Tell them Philip referred you.  Check out http://landreformconstruction.comto see their pics.  Also the number is  949-433-6545.

Now, vonwrede modified his thread and said he used Resort Style Backyard for his backyard.
vonwrede said:
I used Resort Style Backyards for my backyard.  They do a lot of new homes and take it from just dirt to a backyard oasis.  The contractors were very professional and they have a guaranteed finish date.  I've referred a few people and everyone loves them not including the "friends of clients" discount they passed along to my friends.  Tell them Philip referred you.  Check out http://ResortStyleBackyards.comto see their pics.  Also the number is  949-306-5347

So the Land Reform Construction became Resort Style Back Yard?  I wonder why the company decided to change the name.

HAHA, glad I'm not the only one who noticed it.  I didn't want to pick on the guy since I was the one riding him about promoting Land Reform so hard.

lnc said:
Hmmmmm, this is interesting.

vonwrede use Land Reform Construction for his backyard last year.
vonwrede said:
I used Land Reform Construction for my backyard.  They do a lot of new homes and take it from just dirt to a backyard oasis.  Kendall (owner) is always really fast and they have a guaranteed finish date, if they don't finish on time they will pay you per day that its not finished.  I've referred a few people and everyone loves them not including the "friends of clients" discount they passed along to my friends.  Tell them Philip referred you.  Check out http://landreformconstruction.comto see their pics.  Also the number is  949-433-6545.

Now, vonwrede modified his thread and said he used Resort Style Backyard for his backyard.
vonwrede said:
I used Resort Style Backyards for my backyard.  They do a lot of new homes and take it from just dirt to a backyard oasis.  The contractors were very professional and they have a guaranteed finish date.  I've referred a few people and everyone loves them not including the "friends of clients" discount they passed along to my friends.  Tell them Philip referred you.  Check out http://ResortStyleBackyards.comto see their pics.  Also the number is  949-306-5347

So the Land Reform Construction became Resort Style Back Yard?  I wonder why the company decided to change the name.

Maybe it was just a typo.  I meet with the Land Reform guy last week...still Land Reform.

I am pleased to let you guys know that our landscaping is done!.. well, almost.  The only thing left is to seal the floor and the approval of our landscaping plan.  Our landscaping turned out so beautiful that I almost forgot all the frustrations I had with the delays on this project. 

I want to post pics but changed my mind because I don't want in anyway to advertise the contractors' work due to all the delays in construction.  I probably jinxed myself by posting the last post because since then, the water pump on the waterfall won't work and the lights on the pilaster won't work either.  I called and texted Mahe on friday, called again on saturday and he said he'll fix it monday (which is today).  I got home now and guess what? Of course it isn't fixed.  The problem I see here is he is not managing customer's expectations.  He is overpromising and underdelivering.  Had he said, I'll fix it by next friday, I probably would have been OK with that.  Instead, he chose to say Monday, and opted to consistently dissappoint me. 

wow...that's rough...and you liked your backyard.  I give him a 2 and I don't like the timeline or the work.

broda said:
wow...that's rough...and you liked your backyard.  I give him a 2 and I don't like the timeline or the work.

To me, it's about the overall experience.  Yes, aesthetically, the backyard is nice, but i am certain I could have gotten the same quality from somewhere else, minus the frustration.  After the work is done, the customer service is not over.  Like now, I need something fixed and I cannot rely on him getting the work done without me having to follow up multiple times.

Just left the Costco at the district and at the front entrance they have a bunch of those LED dimmable lights for $10 you guys were talking about

qwerty said:
Just left the Costco at the district and at the front entrance they have a bunch of those LED dimmable lights for $10 you guys were talking about

thanks qwerty, will drop by after work and try to grab a couple :)

Back