Recommendations for landscaping companies

eyephone said:
dethman said:
savannascapes seemed very professional on the phone when i talked to them but they don't do pools so i am getting a few bids from other companies first.  if everyone else is crap then i'll give them a ring for the landscaping  only.

I'm telling you ROI on a pool ain't good.
(I always hear my coworker complain about the electric bill because of the pool.)

"You don't need a pool, just use the community pool." YF

not everything is about ROI.  i think most who put in a pool realizes it's not a good 'investment.'  if i wanted to flip my home in 2 years, yeah a pool would not be a good idea.  but i don't.

i want my kids and my wife to be able to have a place to relax and swim on off days without 15 stupid kids screaming and splashing everywhere.  a place where i can have a party without worrying whether i can reserve a community bbq and chairs by the pool deck.  someplace where i know that no one else has peed in the pool, no old ladies are washing their feet.

i also own an expensive car (like a lot of people in irvine).  costs a lot more than a pool.  was it a good ROI?  no.  does it mean i can't enjoy it?  no.  i could have bought a civic.  it would do a similar thing.  but some things are about more than ROI.

dethman said:
eyephone said:
dethman said:
savannascapes seemed very professional on the phone when i talked to them but they don't do pools so i am getting a few bids from other companies first.  if everyone else is crap then i'll give them a ring for the landscaping  only.

I'm telling you ROI on a pool ain't good.
(I always hear my coworker complain about the electric bill because of the pool.)

"You don't need a pool, just use the community pool." YF

not everything is about ROI.  i think most who put in a pool realizes it's not a good 'investment.'  if i wanted to flip my home in 2 years, yeah a pool would not be a good idea.  but i don't.

i want my kids and my wife to be able to have a place to relax and swim on off days without 15 stupid kids screaming and splashing everywhere.  a place where i can have a party without worrying whether i can reserve a community bbq and chairs by the pool deck.  someplace where i know that no one else has peed in the pool, no old ladies are washing their feet.

i also own an expensive car (like a lot of people in irvine).  costs a lot more than a pool.  was it a good ROI?  no.  does it mean i can't enjoy it?  no.  i could have bought a civic.  it would do a similar thing.  but some things are about more than ROI.

1. Yeah you should of bought the new civic type r. (The rumor I read, not every dealership is getting one so RARE)
2. The potential liability of guests that come over to swim. (Make then sign a waver form jk)
3. If you have little ones. Maybe you should get a gate around it.
4. Too many people on TI believes the house is an investment vehicle. So that's why I brought up ROI on the pool.
5. Another thing to consider down the line if you rent your place. Are the rentors going to keep up the pool? (They are going to use it, but are they going to maintain it. Some renters might like it at first and not like the electric and water bill that goes with it.)

Can anyone recommend a contractor that is willing to do a small job?  I just want brick pavers in the front yard that's approx 200 sqft.  Most of the landscapers I've called aren't interested unless the job is at least $5K.  I'd do it myself but the HOA requires plans and licensed and insured contractors.

Navigatn said:
Can anyone recommend a contractor that is willing to do a small job?  I just want brick pavers in the front yard that's approx 200 sqft.  Most of the landscapers I've called aren't interested unless the job is at least $5K.  I'd do it myself but the HOA requires plans and licensed and insured contractors.

I thought you can do the job yourself as long as you submit the plans to the HOA.

eyephone said:
Navigatn said:

I thought you can do the job yourself as long as you submit the plans to the HOA.

Here's what the CC&R reads:

Construction and Installation of Landscape/Hardscape:

1. No work may be performed upon any Lot unless the person or company performing such work (the
?Contractor?) is licensed by the State of California to perform such work and said Contractor provides
written evidence that he/she currently maintains in effect broad-form commercial general liability, errors
and omissions, automotive and workers? compensation insurance for its employees whose services are to be
on or at the Project. Each owner who intends to hire any Contractor to repair any portion of the owners Lot
or to perform any other work on or about the Project (including any Owner Work) shall provide to the
Association evidence of the Contractors license and required insurance prior to any entry by the Contractor
or any of its employees upon or within the Project.

Not terribly difficult to tap into existing drains. I'm not too handy but was able to do, running new drains and I might be singing different tune.

there're only 2 drains in the area that I would need to worry about.  I'd just score the bricks and cut them to size to fit around the drains.

eyephone said:
If you did it yourself. Do you know how to install the drains for your landscape?

I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd lay the bricks around the existing drains sticking out of the ground.  Is laying brick pavers difficult? No.  Is it time consuming? Yes.  For 200sqft, it shouldn't take more than 2 days.  Unfortunately, with my HOA, I can't even replace a sprinkler head in my front yard without hiring a certified professional /s.

Navigatn said:

1. No work may be performed upon any Lot unless the person or company performing such work (the
?Contractor?) is licensed by the State of California to perform such work and said Contractor provides
written evidence that he/she currently maintains in effect broad-form commercial general liability, errors
and omissions, automotive and workers? compensation insurance for its employees whose services are to be
on or at the Project. Each owner who intends to hire any Contractor to repair any portion of the owners Lot
or to perform any other work on or about the Project (including any Owner Work) shall provide to the
Association evidence of the Contractors license and required insurance prior to any entry by the Contractor

Is there more to this?

I think this applies if you are hiring someone to work on your lot, but if you are doing it yourself, this clause may not apply.

I don't think a CC&R would prevent an owner from working on their own house unless it's specialized work that requires a license such as electrical, plumbing or major landscaping projects. But if you were going to lay down sod or make your yard low water landscaped, as long as you are not putting in new irrigation and drainage (which is borderline), you should be able to DIY it.

irvinehomeowner said:
Navigatn said:

Is there more to this?

I think this applies if you are hiring someone to work on your lot, but if you are doing it yourself, this clause may not apply.

I don't think a CC&R would prevent an owner from working on their own house unless it's specialized work that requires a license such as electrical, plumbing or major landscaping projects. But if you were going to lay down sod or make your yard low water landscaped, as long as you are not putting in new irrigation and drainage (which is borderline), you should be able to DIY it.

I've talked to neighbors and with the HOA.  Any alterations to the front/back yard that visually changes the appearance of the yard requires licensed contractors.  I received an email from the HOA about a small patch of dead grass in my front yard, so they are pretty serious when it comes to maintaining visual appeal of the community.

Navigatn said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Navigatn said:

Is there more to this?

I've talked to neighbors and with the HOA.  Any alterations to the front/back yard that visually changes the appearance of the yard requires licensed contractors.  I received an email from the HOA about a small patch of dead grass in my front yard, so they are pretty serious when it comes to maintaining visual appeal of the community.
There's different ways about going about your situation. You can possibly meet with a landscaping committee member and go over your plans with them. Also, you can mention you are capable of doing it, and ask them for an exception. You can also mention that they have the final approval over the landscape. Then also you can also mention your money situation that you didn't budget this cost when you bought the house and tell them how much a licensed contractor cost and how much it will cost you to do it yourself. (Optional)

It's all up to you. I'm sure you can find a licensed contractor that is reasonable, but it might take some time to find. (Try yelp or google and search in the area that is not pricey, or call the good landscaping contractor tell them your budget and make up a story and that you will pay CASH at the end of the project)

ocguynew said:
Any recommendations for landscapers among Mahe, Ben and Savanah. Who charges less ?
Also input on the quality of work

I know this is kind of late...please don't choose Ben for any landscape work. We made an agreement with him. Work quality is so poor and still going on after more than three months. Ours is a small mini backyard. Here people call him as 12K guy no matter how small the project is.
He will beg for  money all the time and tell stories. But once 90% money down. He will take it easy.
No matter if he finishes work on time or not but the output is very poor. Especially when it comes to materials, those are the cheapest you could see ever and also the workmanship. They treat your house like trash..  :mad:

Be cautious, his work is not worth the money he demands. He doesn't responds to call or keep up to his promises at all. I wouldn't recommend him to even get a quote.

Back