Recommendations for landscaping companies

I think a lot of people started the job prior to HOA approval then they received rejection letters specifying a part of their plan that needs to be changed / updated. 

If this is the case they either have to refile and add a variance, or change the plan and have the landscaper stop until the new plan has been approved.  Either of which takes months with our HOA as you know I'm sure.

aquabliss said:
I think a lot of people started the job prior to HOA approval then they received rejection letters specifying a part of their plan that needs to be changed / updated. 

If this is the case they either have to refile and add a variance, or change the plan and have the landscaper stop until the new plan has been approved.  Either of which takes months with our HOA as you know I'm sure.

Oh ya. Good point. And yup. Know all too well. Got dinged once and had to do an appeal of sorts another time.

Slight tangent:  Anyone have recommendations for a gardner?  Need someone to come like once a month to maintain and replant if necessary.

Happiness said:
Yards of Irvine homes are so small, do you actually need a landscaper?

Do you think the forum users know how to lay pavers, plot irrigation, slope the soil, etc?

If you want to do gravel and cactus you can do it yourself.... otherwise you're gonna need to hire soemone who knows what they're doing (hopefully).

has anyone contacted Savanna Scapes recently? I called the number on their website and used the form on their website to leave my info but they never responded.
http://www.savannascapes.com/

or should I just use the phone number the was posted on this thread??

thanks

What is your experience with savanna scape? I'm considering them along with a few others. Would like to get some reference if anybody worked with them before.

Thanks.

Bomberman949 said:
What is your experience with savanna scape? I'm considering them along with a few others. Would like to get some reference if anybody worked with them before.

Thanks.

We had a good experience with them. Definitely one of the more reasonable landscape companies out there that provide good quality work for a good price. And they are very responsive to any concerns you may have after the job is done (even after you have paid them). I would definitely recommend them although these days they are pretty busy with jobs lined up so if you're thinking about using them I would book quickly.

Thanks again Paris for the info and insight. 

Bomberman949 said:

Thanks.

Bomberman949 - What other contractors are you considering? I got a few of them to come out to do some measurements but I haven't heard from them in a week in regards to giving me a quote.  And one of them didn't even bother showing up at the agreed time.  The only person that actually gave me a quote the same day was Sean @ Savanna Scapes. 

Is there a general time frame one should wait for contractors to come back at you with a quote?

hehegrl said:
Thanks again Paris for the info and insight. 

Bomberman949 said:

Thanks.

Bomberman949 - What other contractors are you considering? I got a few of them to come out to do some measurements but I haven't heard from them in a week in regards to giving me a quote.  And one of them didn't even bother showing up at the agreed time.  The only person that actually gave me a quote the same day was Sean @ Savanna Scapes. 

Is there a general time frame one should wait for contractors to come back at you with a quote?

Most of the time the reason they don't respond back is because the job isn't big enough for them to make a decent return. And one thing to really scare them away is if you already indicated your budget, which may or may not be realistic. I would give it a week. If you don't hear back then move on.

Savannah gave the quote on the same day. I'm waiting for jefferson rand and KS - both of them asked for 1-2 weeks to come back with design and quote.

Our backyard landscaping project started this week. One difference we're experiencing, from what I've witnessed occur at neighbors' houses, is the timing of delivery and removal of things. For example, many neighbors' driveways would store broken concrete for weeks before it was taken away, and their driveways would store huge piles of sand spreading into the softscape for many days/weeks. This saves the landscaper time/money.

Our broken concrete was removed the day after it was placed in our driveway, and our landscaper delivers supplies daily as needed. I wish I could share how much of a premium this costs (might no be worth it?), but I was only able to get two quotes despite contacting a dozen companies and meeting four.

Perspective said:
Our backyard landscaping project started this week. One difference we're experiencing, from what I've witnessed occur at neighbors' houses, is the timing of delivery and removal of things. For example, many neighbors' driveways would store broken concrete for weeks before it was taken away, and their driveways would store huge piles of sand spreading into the softscape for many days/weeks. This saves the landscaper time/money.

Our broken concrete was removed the day after it was placed in our driveway, and our landscaper delivers supplies daily as needed. I wish I could share how much of a premium this costs (might no be worth it?), but I was only able to get two quotes despite contacting a dozen companies and meeting four.
If plants are delivered to your property and not planted within a day, make sure you keep them watered in their nursery pots. Don't rely on the landscaper. To save money, landscapers often deliver a truckload of plants at the same time and plant over many days.

Roughly speaking, how much is your job costing perspective. What general sort of hardscape, etc?  Fireplace or anything fancy? 

Bullsback said:
Roughly speaking, how much is your job costing perspective. What general sort of hardscape, etc?  Fireplace or anything fancy?

We'll have square concrete "pads" (poured concrete in a washed finish) on the sides of the house allowing softscape on both sides and between each square pad, pavers under the CA room extending out and over to cover a large area off of a sliding door, and a fireplace outside of the CA room. A third of the yard will be mulch for a kids' swing/playset, and then grass when the playset's gone.

The backyard's not too big: ~20' setback on center, ~15' setback on one side and ~30' setback on the other. In other words the rear block wall is at an angle. The total is $36K, but $15K of that is the fireplace. It will be 6'+ tall with an hearth extending out on both sides, and faced in the same stone that's on the house.

The softscape will be the typical stuff, but we're including three large trees too.

In addition to landscapers using one trip deliveries for supplies, I think another reason why driveways are overrun with stuff while landscaping is due to the typical Irvine backyard. It's popular to pave the entire sides of the house and all of the backyard but for a slim ~2' perimeter. This leaves no space in the backyard to keep supplies and tools during the project.

Paris said:
Bomberman949 said:

Thanks.

We had a good experience with them. Definitely one of the more reasonable landscape companies out there that provide good quality work for a good price. And they are very responsive to any concerns you may have after the job is done (even after you have paid them). I would definitely recommend them although these days they are pretty busy with jobs lined up so if you're thinking about using them I would book quickly.

I agree!

OCVillager said:
Hello,
I know I'm just digging this from the archives...I'm considering quotes from few landscape contractors and would like to know any latest opinions from those people that got the job completed.
The contractors I'm considering are KS, Jo, Ben (local contractor that worked on some neighbors homes) and Sean from Savanna scapes.
This thread has been really helpful. Can anyone PM me Savanna scapes working number?

Thanks.

http://www.savannascapes.com/  (800)951-5515

Back