Recommendations for landscaping companies

lnc said:
whome said:
@scubasteve - yes that's possible (I haven't seen the Mulberry models though). Our yard is very small though.
However, its also possible that since our yard is so small, he might be tagging on extra cost to make it worthwhile. At this point I am fine with that though I am asking him for the breakup.

Sean quoted me 12/sqft for the belgard pavers that I wanted. Andru said that the Belgard Pavers would run in the ballpark of 18/sqft maximum (with Sean the maximum was 12.50/sqft) which is why I got the impression that Sean was more reasonably priced/affordable.
A friend of mine recommended Sean and they had their backyard done four years ago so I thought that was a good sign..:)
Now crossing my fingers that the job goes smoothly and well! Good luck to you too!

Is that $12.5/sq.ft with rebar concrete sub base or sand/gravel base? 

$12.50/ sq.ft are on par with what Go Paver charges for their paver but that Go Paver's price is with using sand and gravel base.  KS like to use concrete rebar sub base which will cost more and maybe this why KS's price is higher.  And if I remember correctly, concrete base with rebar runs close to $5/sq.ft.

Got it - that makes sense..The most expensive belgard does run to 16/sqft even with go pavers so I thought maybe that was what Andru was referring to. But what you say makes sense..
I have no idea what rebar means but I will google that later..:)
I think savannascapes uses class 2 road base like go pavers but I can't find the exact info to crosscheck but I will check and update this post.
Good to know these details - Thanks!

We just got a quote from Savannah Scapes and they seem reasonable. Considering going with them. Anyone else have a good experience with them?
Do you think for plants I should go through contractor OR directly through a nursery?

Paris said:
We just got a quote from Savannah Scapes and they seem reasonable. Considering going with them. Anyone else have a good experience with them?
Do you think for plants I should go through contractor OR directly through a nursery?

Not sure if you read the previous posts- but we are going with them. A friend of mine who recommended them had his backyard done 4 years ago. So I am assuming that's a good sign if he still recommends them. Aquabliss and Lucky (on another thread) also said they had a good experience with them.

I am getting the plants through them because they will replace it if something goes wrong. The nurseries will also warranty plants for a year but I am assuming we will have to pay 'labor' to them to replant if something goes wrong.

whome said:
Paris said:

Not sure if you read the previous posts- but we are going with them. A friend of mine who recommended them had his backyard done 4 years ago. So I am assuming that's a good sign if he still recommends them. Aquabliss and Lucky (on another thread) also said they had a good experience with them.

I am getting the plants through them because they will replace it if something goes wrong. The nurseries will also warranty plants for a year but I am assuming we will have to pay 'labor' to them to replant if something goes wrong.

Home Depot and lowes also warranties the plant for a year.

How hard is to plant a "plant"? (However, grown developed tree might take some manpower to plant. Anything else you can do it your self)

whome said:
Paris said:

Yes I did read your previous post which was reassuring, esp the satisfied custome 4 years later  :) And they have good yelp reviews.
I guess I'll have to get a quote on the plants, haven't got to that yet

eyephone said:
whome said:
Paris said:

Home Depot and lowes also warranties the plant for a year.

How hard is to plant a "plant"? (However, grown developed tree might take some manpower to plant. Anything else you can do it your self)

Lol.. Yeah. Though i have never planted anything as an adult.
But we are getting a tree which might require root barriers.

I would get plants through the landscapers too, maybe not all but at least the larger ones.

Just think the amount of work require to transport these big plants and the labor required to dig those big hole on the ground.

lnc said:
I would get plants through the landscapers too, maybe not all but at least the larger ones.

Just think the amount of work require to transport these big plants and the labor required to dig those big hole on the ground.

Yea.  We got all trees and everything in the front yard through the landscaper.  All the little plants in the backyard we did/are doing ourselves.  The markup is pretty steep on the plants through the landscaper....

There are also some plants that are hard to get - only certain nurseries have them, so those we tasked our landscaper with. 

Paris said:

I used SavannaScapes earlier this year and they did a great job, no issues.  The best part is that they are quick and efficient.  They work 6 days a week and missed maybe 1-2 days out of the 5 weeks it took to complete.  Neighbors of mine who started at the same time as me are still waiting for their contractors to return months later. 

Paris said:

savanna scapes did several homes in columbus square, the work came out nice.  we bought our plants directly from DM nursery in orange. their orange location is the only one open to the public - its pretty big (that is what she said :). they deliver if you spend more than $500 (or around that) which you will easily hit. they have a very good selection. then you can just pay savanna scapes to plant them for you.
http://dmcolorexpress.net/

We are also going with Sean and Savanna Scapes.  Looks like they are getting a lot of business here.  Will keep everyone posted. I'm planning on getting all my plants thru them because 1) I do not have a greenthumb and 2) I don't have the time to dig out holes. 

qwerty said:
Paris said:

savanna scapes did several homes in columbus square, the work came out nice.  we bought our plants directly from DM nursery in orange. their orange location is the only one open to the public - its pretty big (that is what she said :). they deliver if you spend more than $500 (or around that) which you will easily hit. they have a very good selection. then you can just pay savanna scapes to plant them for you.
http://dmcolorexpress.net/

Yup - this is what I was planning on doing when I was thinking of going with go pavers (I found qwerty's rec on another thread or in an earlier page- Thanks Qwerty!). Somebody also mentioned Emily's garden which gets good reviews.

When you compare prices make sure to add, the price to plant ,to it. For example a 5 gallon of podacarpus costs around 22$ at lowe's. Sean charges around $10 per plant to install. He is charging us around 30/plant if we go through him.. So in this case it doesn't make much of a difference. But it might depending on the plant.

A tree (depending on size) would cost quite a bit more to plant so make sure to factor that cost in.

Edited : I keep saying install instead of plant. edited to change that :)

I doubt anyone is monitoring this thread anymore, but wanted to say thanks to everyone that's contributed as it's been very helpful. My new Stonegate home will be completed in a few months and I'm trying to ballpark all the costs, so threads like this are awesome.

I hope the owner of Echo Family reads this post and will take the comments constructively.  They have done a few homes in my PS community but compared to other landscapers, their workers seem to be unable to contain their mess while they work on the home's landscaping.  The home they are currently working on is at the entrance to our community and unfortunately I have to pass by it everyday.  They pile their construction materials onto the grass median, the sidewalk and the street.  At the end of the day, they do leave a walking path along the sidewalk but leave the materials on the grass median and street.  On more than one occasion, their trucks block the majority of the street, even when they are done loading and unloading.  Please park the truck parallel to the street, not perpendicular to the street.  Once, I saw their truck parked on the grass median and sidewalk so that it could be up against the lot. This just strikes me as a contractor that is inconsiderate of the neighbors and the neighborhood.  The grass on the median is now half dead, and so that now becomes the HOA's responsibility to replace. I've seen several landscapers working in my community and none, including my landscaper, need to spread out their construction materials in front like Echo Family does.  I hope the owner will take positive action so that future neighbors where they work don't have to put up with their "mess".

Just give them a call and voice your concerns.
(949) 533-4055

I had a contractor working near my home with similar issues... "Good Morning Landscape", they left some material on my property and were making a mess in front.  I just called him directly to discuss and he had his guys fix the issues.

I had, for a moment, thought about taking a picture of the long bed truck that was blocking the street (and my way) so I could forward to Keystone Pacific.  Then I asked myself if someone at KP would do anything about it and concluded it was probably a waste of my time...so no pictures.  A neighbor said he talked to the owner and was met with a less than friendly person who complained about how small the front and back yards are and that he doesn't have enough space to put things.  That is why I chose not to call and complain to him.

The difference is this.  Echo has all the construction materials delivered upfront. At the beginning of the job, a big mound of sand, along with pallets of concrete block, mortar, concrete mix and other materials are delivered to the property.  The contractor we used delivered materials as needed.  Perhaps that is less efficient for him but the benefit is that we were able to park on our driveway in the evenings.  We have built-in seating, flash walls, and 12 linear feet of BBQ island in the back yard, so there was a lot of concrete blocks and bags of mortar delivered.  It was all moved to the back yard the same day and the mixing and construction of these items were all done in the back yard, leaving no mess in the front.  Echo prefers to leave the mixer in front and use wheelbarrows to haul the mix to the backyard.

There have been at least six different landscape contractors working in our neighborhood.  The only contractor that seems to need that much space in front for their construction materials is Echo. 

@eyephone  This picture was taken this evening.  Keep in mind that a good portion of the building materials have been used already.  Your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    486.5 KB · Views: 518
Back