Recommendations for landscaping companies

So I've mocked up what I want to do in my yard, right now it's just dirt and a small patch of concrete near the slider.  My budget is pretty low so I wanted to keep the design simple.

I've attached it to this post - any guesses on what king of pricing i'll be looking at?

Attachments

• SCAPE_small.jpg
    SCAPE_small.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 354
I think I paid about $2 per sq ft of sod to get it installed. I think the sprinklers were another couple of hundred. For pavers estimate around 10/sq ft. For cement estimate $6-$10 sq ft

Those concrete squares could increase your cost (more labor to frame the cement) - probably cheaper to do all pavers.

You should contact go pavers and get a quote.

Ya the numbers add up quick... curse you large lot!  :)

I'm definitely contacting go pavers, also probably will try aloha pavers (not the mahe aloha) and a couple other recommendations from friends.  I want to see about doing those large concrete squares, I really like the look.  I'm willing to pay for it, to a point.

Qwerty do you know if go pavers does spinklers and/or lighting, or just pavers and turf? 

Go pavers did my sprinklers - I didn't do lights but that is something they offer. They will also take you to the nursery they use so you can pick out your plants and get the better pricing. It's been 1.5 years almost and no issues with the their work. Good luck man. That's a big ass yard. Mine is 25 ft at its deepest and 55 at its longest.

For lights I would go solar as opposed to low voltage wired.

It's DIY, you can change the design and layout if you need to and less maintenance.

31ft setback... you can fit another TIC home in there.

Solar lights are not that bright.

I bought solar lights from Costco to test it out. I am returning it - waste of my time.

Finally started my landscaper/hardscaper search and have a few bids coming in with the next 1-2 weeks.  I've had 4 consultations and plan on getting 2-3 more before making my decision.

Very interesting experience.  One thing I couldn't believe is that none of the ones I interviewed so far showed pictures of their work without asking.  I asked 3 of the 4 landscapers for pictures - 1 didn't have any (except a couple on his phone) and the other 2 had images.  One on his iPad and the other in a photo album.  It was like pulling teeth to get this, but once their pictures came out it got me very excited about the yard and gave me more ideas about picking and choosing certain things to do in certain area's. 

All these guys are trying to sell me on a luxurious back yard experience.  They should have brought out pictures or images to begin with and said "we can do this here", and "add some stone like this" in this area, etc... Without that I really have a hard time visualizing what things will look like. 

That being said they mostly seemed capable and I'm anxious to see how far apart all their quotes are.

Sure thing... 2 of the 4 I really like their work a lot.  They are recommendations from my wife's friend and do most jobs in Yorba Linda / Placentia area.  I'm hoping this makes their prices a bit more reasonable but not sure if they'll add on any Irvine tax.

Just went through the HOA guidelines.. my first time for a new home. 

Oddly, they know their procedures are whack but are telling me to submit my plans to have a SAT dish up with my landscaping.. since there is a $250 fee.  They know we shouldn't be charged a fee for the dish but it's in their guidelines right now.  weird.

I want to see how detailed the drawings have to be for the design work?  My vision is pretty basic.  Concrete.. with planters all along the back and then turf on the other side yard. 

I would not recommend the area outside your active living space be 2 different materials. The grass grid area is a nightmare to maintain and impossible to furnish. The legs could never be balanced correctly. In your design only 1/2 of the area get used and if you throw a large party with that amazing large yard you will be disappointed with the small usable area. The interlocking pavers behind the garage is not appropriately placed. No one like to hang out behind the garage. I have a lot of grass grid at my California place but I kept them below the tree canopy to keeping the grass cool. Irvine heat could heat the concrete slab to 140% and the heat will kill the narrow strip of grass. They are really hard to maintain. If you try to water them the water will just evaporate quickly. I have it at various places and I recommend don't do it. Here is a rule or hierarchy to follow. Interlocking pavers for high traffic area and grass grid for light or no traffic.

Here is a picture depicting a portion of my yard and the grass grid is at the foreground.

IHSyard_zps51b31e26.jpg

jmoney74 said:

Oddly, they know their procedures are whack but are telling me to submit my plans to have a SAT dish up with my landscaping.. since there is a $250 fee.  They know we shouldn't be charged a fee for the dish but it's in their guidelines right now.  weird.

That is weird.  A hoa fee for setting up a SAT dish?  Do you get a discount if you submit 2 plans at the same time?

ZeroLot said:
jmoney74 said:

That is weird.  A hoa fee for setting up a SAT dish?  Do you get a discount if you submit 2 plans at the same time?

So it's just a one time fee.. so they told me to do it all together.  Now I have to just get my plans in right away to have SAT TV.  lol.  They are aware of this issue and are trying to fix it.  Kind of odd.. can't you just fix it?  HOAs man.

Don't worry jmoney I live in your hood and all my neighbors put up their sat dishes with no HOA approval.  I'm also thinking of going Directv soon and I don't plan on filing.

aquabliss said:
Don't worry jmoney I live in your hood and all my neighbors put up their sat dishes with no HOA approval.  I'm also thinking of going Directv soon and I don't plan on filing.

ALERT! REPORT!  ;)

interesting.  Yeah.. I have to go Direct TV.  My buddies and I share one account.  lol. 

jmoney74 said:
aquabliss said:

ALERT! REPORT!  ;)

interesting.  Yeah.. I have to go Direct TV.  My buddies and I share one account.  lol. 

Sounds like you're the one who needs to have the Alert Report sounded ;)

aquabliss said:
jmoney74 said:
aquabliss said:

ALERT! REPORT!  ;)

Sounds like you're the one who needs to have the Alert Report sounded ;)

it's the only way to combat the broadcasting companies and their price hikes. 

I had a price quote of 28K.  This is for front and backyard.  I asked around my neighbors and their price quote is around this range...  :(

Btw, in my price quote, the sprinkle system is around 3k.

Back