Recommendations for landscaping companies

I met with go pavers. Very professional. He was also dressed professional. (Shirt tie and slacks) After he measured the backyard - he gave a presentation. Which consists of the following: design layout, video of laying paver process, video of the big paver manufactures recommending go pavers, showed me examples of past projects on his laptop. I learned go pavers won super service awards 2011 2012 2013 from Angie's list. He showed me a copy of the license, bond and insurance. Lastly, he told me the job will take 3 days. (Say what!)

In addition, when he was talking about the design for the backyard, he asked if I like the circle design. If so, he can include it with no extra charge. (This is a super plus)

For the price it's very competitive as the other small landscapers I met.

I'm not going with go pavers. They quoted me at $10 a sq ft. I got other quotes at $8 sq ft. (That are licensed and have insurance) Other factors I want to hire a landscaper that can do it all not just lay down pavers. That can do the following: plant knowledge, sprinklers, add lights, etc

eyephone said:
I'm not going with go pavers. They quoted me at $10 a sq ft. I got other quotes at $8 sq ft. (That are licensed and have insurance) Other factors I want to hire a landscaper that can do it all not just lay down pavers. That can do the following: plant knowledge, sprinklers, add lights, etc

who are you going with?

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:

who are you going with?

Still deciding. This process is making me go crazy.

eyephone said:

They raised their pricing.  GoPavers quoted me $8.  I did like what they showed me but like you I wanted someone who can do it all. 

RCV said:
broda said:
eyephone said:
Thanks for your feedback

It took 2.5 months? (wow - you must have a lot of upgrades - BBQ, fire pit?)

That's the sad part.  All I had done are antique cobble pavers and my 2 feet along the wall that HOA requires.  But after initial debacle his crew made, we had to pull everything up and re-lay the pavers down.  Forgot putting the weed block under the pavers, I started in mid Oct, during Thanksgiving and X-mas break they disappeared on me. for about 2 weeks each.  Picked the wrong plants that I asked for.  I called Mahe with each error and he corrected it, but if I just micro managed them in the beginning I could have saved myself time and headache.

Don't get me wrong, Mahe and Sam are super nice guys...and they will fix the problem.  They won't run out on you, or try to cheat you.  But Sam isn't the greatest project manager, and Mahe isn't always around.

Yes, you are right.  I never got the impression that Mahe will walk away and rip me off.  My problem really is the same as yours.  I feel I have to micromanage every step of the way to make sure it is moving along.  I have no doubt that our landscaping will turn out great because of the development I am seeing.  Mahe promised me end of the month it will be done.  We'll see.

FYI - when I signed the contract, it wasn't Aloha Landscaping on the contract.  It was just Mahe's name.

I am beyond frustrated.  No work has been done on our landscaping this week.  I called Mahe 3x on different occasions and I still have not been able to talk to him.  He promised this job will be done in 3 weeks, it's now more than 1.5 months, oh my gawd.  To those even considering Mahe Laivaa/Aloha Landscaping - BEWARE!!

Haven't read the whole thread, but I can say from your post, we had this problem with our landscaper in 1999. They had gobs of work and they started quick enough but it dragged on and nothing was getting done. I found the landscaper on newer projects, older projects not done.

What was happening, was the landscaper was getting up front money, starting jobs, getting more upfront money from other jobs, etc and the old ones were not getting done.

I finally told them (twice) I would contact the contractors board and the BBB and still nothing was done............................. till they were indeed investigated.

THEN the job got done.

Neighbors were complaining and asking how I got my job done and I told them and they didn't want to cause any problems....................... till they too were upset.

You guessed it......... reporting them was the only way their job was completed. Company eventually went out of biz and this was a reputable company that had LOTS of biz in the last housing boom.............. NOT the downturn.

Just saying..... you might want to light a match.

Irvinecommuter said:
@RCV:  The thank you was not for the situation but for you sharing.  Glad I didn't go with him...still searching.

No problem.  I am sharing this to everyone as a warning so you guys don't have to experience the same problem I am having.  Fortunately, the work isn't inside our home, otherwise, I would have gotten nuts in the first week.

@bones - discount would be great. I'll keep that in mind.

Ready2Downsize said:
Haven't read the whole thread, but I can say from your post, we had this problem with our landscaper in 1999. They had gobs of work and they started quick enough but it dragged on and nothing was getting done. I found the landscaper on newer projects, older projects not done.

What was happening, was the landscaper was getting up front money, starting jobs, getting more upfront money from other jobs, etc and the old ones were not getting done.

I finally told them (twice) I would contact the contractors board and the BBB and still nothing was done............................. till they were indeed investigated.

THEN the job got done.

Neighbors were complaining and asking how I got my job done and I told them and they didn't want to cause any problems....................... till they too were upset.

You guessed it......... reporting them was the only way their job was completed. Company eventually went out of biz and this was a reputable company that had LOTS of biz in the last housing boom.............. NOT the downturn.

Just saying..... you might want to light a match.

I'll give him another week.

Good luck...it's annoying that all these quality contractors are no longer reliable.  I hate putting my name out there for someone who's going to turn to crap.

With all the new home being built, all the landscaping companies are getting very busy.  I think it would be wise to ask the landscaper how many jobs they are taken on currently and how many jobs are in the pipeline.  Maybe be one should also ask to put a reasonable deadline in the contract just in case since landscaper's past performance does not guarantee future results.

I have a guy that is pretty reliable but he won't be able to help you with design. Pm if you want his contact info.

maybe a better way is to backload the payments. you can accompany them and pay for the materials yourself and backload the labor payments.

Back