Recommendations for landscaping companies

OK to provide an update, The final 3 contenders after meeting with landscapers based on recommendations here.

Land Reform - I met with Ken, very nice and knowledgeable guy.  He was the only landscaping company who would provide a formal quote with an itemized list, break down of the pricing and even give you a rough drawing before you accept the job.  He knew his plants, he knew his pavers, but the price was very high.  Granted I believe he will do good work, it was way above at least what I had in mind for my budget.  Ken also said he will match anybody's written quote.  The only problem is that no one will give you a written quote until you get a contract in place.  If I had the money, I would have gone with Land Reform.  I know Ken trolls these forums, so sorry Ken we couldn't work out a better price.

Go Pavers - Probably the cheapest and they seem like they do amazing work for the price. But the only thing is it is only pavers and no landscaping.  For me, I didn't feel like finding one more contractor to do landscaping and to have to coordinate with Go Pavers.  It was a convenience thing for me to go with a single contractor to do it all.

Aloha - Mahe is a pretty cool dude.  He handles his business like a one man show...everything is verbal until you say you're good and this is what I want.  He doesn't do websites or online marketing, just by word of mouth.  That's why you won't find much on him on the web.  He took me to a bunch of his clients. The work seems pretty good.  I don't think he's going to give you something crazy spectacular but he does good work.  He seems honest, he seems unfront, easy to be blunt with him.

I decided to go with Aloha because he was the most willing to work with me on the price. He gave me a price...I said this is my budget...can you make it work?  He said sure lets do this...and it was done. Land Reform was willing to work on the price but could only come down so far from their quote.  Like I said previously, I'm pretty sure their price is worth their workmanship, but for me, with so much to spend on a new house, a savings somewhere is very much welcomed.

Hope this helps someone with their decisions.  I tried some of the other landscapers in the hood...West Coast seems to be upping the price on everyone even though they quoted you one price. Greenline was another Chinese landscaper and his work was not very good...and they take forever.  Couple of other small name ones that didn't seem very good or they just felt shady.

broda said:
OK to provide an update, The final 3 contenders after meeting with landscapers based on recommendations here.

Land Reform - I met with Ken, very nice and knowledgeable guy.  He was the only landscaping company who would provide a formal quote with an itemized list, break down of the pricing and even give you a rough drawing before you accept the job.  He knew his plants, he knew his pavers, but the price was very high.  Granted I believe he will do good work, it was way above at least what I had in mind for my budget.  Ken also said he will match anybody's written quote.  The only problem is that no one will give you a written quote until you get a contract in place.  If I had the money, I would have gone with Land Reform.  I know Ken trolls these forums, so sorry Ken we couldn't work out a better price.

Go Pavers - Probably the cheapest and they seem like they do amazing work for the price. But the only thing is it is only pavers and no landscaping.  For me, I didn't feel like finding one more contractor to do landscaping and to have to coordinate with Go Pavers.  It was a convenience thing for me to go with a single contractor to do it all.

Aloha - Mahe is a pretty cool dude.  He handles his business like a one man show...everything is verbal until you say you're good and this is what I want.  He doesn't do websites or online marketing, just by word of mouth.  That's why you won't find much on him on the web.  He took me to a bunch of his clients. The work seems pretty good.  I don't think he's going to give you something crazy spectacular but he does good work.  He seems honest, he seems unfront, easy to be blunt with him.

I decided to go with Aloha because he was the most willing to work with me on the price. He gave me a price...I said this is my budget...can you make it work?  He said sure lets do this...and it was done. Land Reform was willing to work on the price but could only come down so far from their quote.  Like I said previously, I'm pretty sure their price is worth their workmanship, but for me, with so much to spend on a new house, a savings somewhere is very much welcomed.

Hope this helps someone with their decisions.  I tried some of the other landscapers in the hood...West Coast seems to be upping the price on everyone even though they quoted you one price. Greenline was another Chinese landscaper and his work was not very good...and they take forever.  Couple of other small name ones that didn't seem very good or they just felt shady.

i think you will be happy with his work. i got his info from a neighbor whose yard i liked and asked him who did it. once i got in touch with Mahe he also took me to other homes they worked on. the worked all looked good.

Wow!  Thanks for the breakdown.  Very informative and I think people will find this useful.  Had never heard of Aloha before this forum.  What was the price difference between Land Reform or Aloha?  I've used Land Reform and they did a great job. 

It's time for us to do the landscaping.  We got two quotes:

A.  KS Landscaping - This was recommended by our neighbor.  We met with Andru (project manager), he did measurements and came back to us after a week with drawings and a written quote.  He even came on superbowl sunday morning to walk us through his quote.  He is very polite and professional.  The problem is, his quote he gave us was only hardscape and the amount is in excess of our budget = and higher than what our neighbor paid for theirs (they have a bigger backyard than us).  So we didn't really like that.

B.  Aloha Landscaping - Mahe came with his wife and daughter on thursday night. Asked us what we want and our budget. Gave us his quote (verbal) right there and started talking about what he would do with the backyard.  We started imagining right there.  He showed us a video of one of the work he did at Las Ventanas, amazing!  He gave us a quote - way higher than KS, but, inclusive of everything we want (no sacrifices).  We negotiated and he met us in the middle.  He wrote his offer that night and we signed.  Mahe's positive reviews here and his competitive quote sealed the deal.

You will like working with Mahe very nice guy. If I remember correctly he second cousins or something like that to haloti ngata of the Baltimore ravens. Mahe actually played college ball.

qwerty said:
You will like working with Mahe very nice guy. If I remember correctly he second cousins or something like that to haloti ngata of the Baltimore ravens. Mahe actually played college ball.

The lack of progress in our landscaping is definitely annoying me.  Is there anyone here who is CURRENTLY using Mahe Laivaa (Aloha Landscaping) as their contractor for landscaping?  How is it going?

RCV said:
qwerty said:

The lack of progress in our landscaping is definitely annoying me.  Is there anyone here who is CURRENTLY using Mahe Laivaa (Aloha Landscaping) as their contractor for landscaping?  How is it going?

RCV said:
qwerty said:

I didn't use him yet but I just had a talk with Mahe two weeks ago about doing landscaping for my back yard.  Currently he is doing 3 homes in my street and according to him, he has 5 other project currently working on.    I don't know how big is his operation and how many workers he has but it Looks like he's working on a lot of  project at the same time. 

mms2020 said:
eyephone said:
Just a general note regarding all contractors. Check if the license is active or valid.
https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/MobileLicenseCheck/default.aspx

Good hint about Aloha.  We knew about his license but based upon forum recommendations, we decided to go with him.  I hope we don't regret it!

We spoke with Mahe last week and while very personable and nice, I feel like he was not very helpful in the design of the yard.  He basically listens to what you state that you want and tells you that he can do it.

We also spoke to a few other contractors and they were more helpful in suggesting what is good or bad for the location and certain things to be aware of. 

Aloha is still in the running but we will probably end up going elsewhere.

I think you are absolutely correct.  He is not creative and does not have lot of ideas.  However, if you know what you want, he may be able to do it at a reasonable cost. It almost seems that now he is too busy which results in delays.

So who are the good landscapers that don't cost so much.. please list out.

eyephone said:
Does go pavers do other things then lay pavers? (Planters, install sprinklers/lights?)

I called and they install planters, sitting wall. But she said, there main focus is pavers.

So Mahe's team resumed work yesterday.  I got to say, my frustration last week is overcome by my satisfaction of how beautiful our landscaping is turning out to be. I'll reserve any more judgement until he is done. 

Back