Recommendations for landscaping companies

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
RCV said:
eyephone said:
How long has the project taken so far?

They started digging on 2/26.  So it's been 4 weeks now..  Out of that 4 weeks, they worked only 9 days.

You might be on the 2.5 month plan.  ;)

I feel the stories here go in line with my initial feeling on Mahe...really good guy and will do whatever you want but doesn't really to be really interested in the job.  As I stated above, he was nice and personable but didn't really provide any suggestions or tips on what could be done.  Spreading yourself too thin really slights your existing customers and show a lack of commitment.

you're pretty dead on about your feelings about Mahe.  If I were to go back and do this again, I'd go with Ken from Land Reform.  He was the only guy who drew up a plan and showed me them prior to even getting the job...just to show me his ideas.  He came in at a higher price, but after going through this process, I'd have paid.

He gives you referrals to talk to if you want, just happened my wife's friend used him and said like any other contractor, you still have to pester him, but he definitely does show up to your job site everyday to check up on the work.  And he was easy to work with. 

Not sure how the job market is out there now, if he's spreading himself thin too he could end up doing the same thing.  Too many jobs out there for these guys to cash in on, they start to care only about quantity versus quality.

Taken on too many projects at once might be a common issue with a lot of landscapers, especially from now on.  With the volume of new home construction pick up dramatically recently, I think most of  landscapers will have tones of job line up waiting for them for rest of the year and beyond.
Besides Aloha and KS, some of my neighbor are using Galvan and Sean form Savannascape.  Going to check them out also before made my decision.

http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3424.msg55273.html#msg55273

if you are doing pavers, you folks should really consider Gopavers.com - they did almost 1500 sq ft of pavers, sod and sprinklers in 4 days, very professional, clean up really well. at about $10/sq ft.  these guys dont mess around. im surprised more people dont use them.  yes they specialize in pavers but do everything, those guys do 100K+ jobs all the time in.  Call them and tell them you want to work with Kobi Dan.

qwerty said:
if you are doing pavers, you folks should really consider Gopavers.com - they did almost 1500 sq ft of pavers, sod and sprinklers in 4 days, very professional, clean up really well. at about $10/sq ft.  these guys dont mess around. im surprised more people dont use them.  yes they specialize in pavers but do everything, those guys do 100K+ jobs all the time in.  Call them and tell them you want to work with Kobi Dan.
qwerty do you have pics from your gopavers job?  Also I had no idea they did sprinklers, but very good to know!  I can have them probably do 90% of my yard then.  Do they also do plants and/or turf?

aquabliss said:
qwerty said:
qwerty do you have pics from your gopavers job?  Also I had no idea they did sprinklers, but very good to know!  I can have them probably do 90% of my yard then.  Do they also do plants and/or turf?

they do plants also, they will take you to their nursery to get better pricing. i dont have any pics but it looks almost identical to this, instead of trees at the back though, i have pavers throughout the yard with just a patch of grass in the middle for the dogs. no plants or anything on mine since the black widows will hang out there and dont want the dogs getting bit. not sure if they do turf. call them and ask for Kobi, very likeable, not pushy at all.

img_4105_88.jpg

bones said:
qwerty said:

What did u use mahe for then? 
I think their name makes ppl think they are all pavers.

i used mahe to do the front wall of the house, new steps, sprinklers and the plants in the front of the house. but homer had used gopavers and they had excellent reviews on angieslist plus their work on their site looked really good so since i wanted pretty much pavers in the side yard and they specialize in pavers i went with go pavers for the sideyard. they are extremely professional. they told me they would knock it out in four days and they did.

I would like to see more photos of what people are doing in Irvine.  Trying to figure out what type of flooring to get for the backyard.  I want turf but will also have hardscape. 

Qwerty - yep I looked at the collections and prices... some of the pics I agree with bones that something about the finished product just looks a bit well... unfinished, other pics look pretty good.  Does sound like their pricing is reasonable though so definitely worth a look and an estimate. 

What do you guys think of Travertine for outdoor flooring?  Pros cons?  it's a more clean look IMO.

As I am still searching for landscaper, I changed my criteria.
Before it used to be the price. But now after reading the previous posts - the quality sacrificed and the time frame is unreasonable.

In business - reputation goes along way. Which should be applied to landscaping.  I can't get over the drainage problem, quality problem, unlicensed, and time issue. (Regarding the landscaper mentioned previous)

There is risk you take on when the contractor is not licensed and insured. If one of the workers slips, hurts his back etc.. - he can come after the home owner.

eyephone said:
As I am still searching for landscaper, I changed my criteria.
Before it used to be the price. But now after reading the previous posts - the quality sacrificed and the time frame is unreasonable.

In business - reputation goes along way. Which should be applied to landscaping.  I can't get over the drainage problem, quality problem, unlicensed, and time issue. (Regarding the landscaper mentioned previous)

There is risk you take on when the contractor is not licensed and insured. If one of the workers slips, hurts his back etc.. - he can come after the home owner.

for timeliness go with gopavers.com  - although some folks didnt think the finished pics on their site were great, not sure i agree with that, i thought they looked pretty good.

Back