Protest, Riot, Curfew

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Does this change that police brutality is an issue that needs to be addressed? While rioting/looting is an overreaction, that doesn't make what is being protested any less valid.

people are protesting the belief that there is systemic racism in the policing community

the data does not support this argument:

Officer characteristics and racial disparities in fatal officer-involved shootings

Significance
There is widespread concern about racial disparities in fatal officer-involved shootings and that these disparities reflect discrimination by White officers. Existing databases of fatal shootings lack information about officers, and past analytic approaches have made it difficult to assess the contributions of factors like crime. We create a comprehensive database of officers involved in fatal shootings during 2015 and predict victim race from civilian, officer, and county characteristics. We find no evidence of anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparities across shootings, and White officers are not more likely to shoot minority civilians than non-White officers. Instead, race-specific crime strongly predicts civilian race. This suggests that increasing diversity among officers by itself is unlikely to reduce racial disparity in police shootings.

Discussion
Concerns that White officers might disproportionately fatally shoot racial minorities can have powerful effects on police legitimacy (31). By using a comprehensive database of FOIS during 2015, officer race, sex, or experience did not predict the race of a person fatally shot beyond relationships explained by county demographics. On the other hand, race-specific violent crime strongly predicted the race of a civilian fatally shot by police, explaining over 40% of the variance in civilian race. These results bolster claims to take into account violent crime rates when examining fatal police shootings (20).

We did not find evidence for anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparity in police use of force across all shootings, and, if anything, found anti-White disparities when controlling for race-specific crime. While racial disparity did vary by type of shooting, no one type of shooting showed significant anti-Black or -Hispanic disparity. The uncertainty around these estimates highlights the need for more data before drawing conclusions about disparities in specific types of shootings.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877
An abstract on "fatal officer-involved shootings" doesn't directly correlate to police brutality.

So is it your opinion that this is not an issue?

eyephone said:
Our country is totally fractured and, with our weak leadership in Washington, you can expect Ferguson type riots and looting in other places

Guess who previously tweeted that? Trump
I guess that mean he has really weak leadership.

Previous tweet by Trump does not apply? Another double standard!

irvinehomeowner said:
An abstract on "fatal officer-involved shootings" doesn't directly correlate to police brutality.

present your data that says it is instead of just dismissing mine

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Our country is totally fractured and, with our weak leadership in Washington, you can expect Ferguson type riots and looting in other places

Guess who previously tweeted that? Trump
I guess that mean he has really weak leadership.

Previous tweet by Trump does not apply? Another double standard!

#TrumpDoublestandard

Aside from all political opinions, if there isn't huge increase of C19 cases on these heavily protested areas coming days/weeks, then what was all these months of lockdown for?

Mety said:
Aside from all political opinions, if there isn't huge increase of C19 cases on these heavily protested areas coming days/weeks, then what was all these months of lockdown for?

If covid 19 is as dangerous and the authorities and experts say it is, there is no way the authorities would have not stopped the protests/riots immediately.

The fact that the authorities have only made half-hearted efforts to stop the riots tells you all you need to know the veracity of the authorities and experts statements about the covid 19 danger.

Remember stuff like: without social distancing half of the population would be dead in two months? If the authorities actually believed the stuff they were saying, would they hesitate to go full Tiananmen on the rioters in order to save the lives of hundreds of millions of Americans?

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I'm not just dismissing it... what I'm saying is that study is not directly relevant to the subject of policy brutality. It's speaking to fatal shootings that involve police which is usually a difference circumstance than police brutality during traffic stops, arrests etc.

The onus is on you to prove that police brutality, specifically against African Americans in this case, is not an issue. Find that study and we can discuss.

And you didn't answer my question, do you think it's NOT an issue?

Happiness said:
Mety said:

If covid 19 is as dangerous and the authorities and experts say it is, there is no way the authorities would have not stopped the protests/riots immediately.

The fact that the authorities have only made half-hearted efforts to stop the riots tells you all you need to know the veracity of the authorities and experts statements about the covid 19 danger.

Remember stuff like: without social distancing half of the population would be dead in two months? If the authorities actually believed the stuff they were saying, would they hesitate to go full Tiananmen on the rioters in order to save the lives of hundreds of millions of Americans?

Wow... nice deflection.

So do you think Covid-19 isn't serious? Have you been social distancing yourself? Or have you been out these last 3 months without a mask or any precautions? Put your money where your keyboard is.

Happiness said:
Mety said:

Remember stuff like: without social distancing half of the population would be dead in two months? ...

You should consider making a change where you get your news from.

irvinehomeowner said:
Happiness said:
Mety said:

Wow... nice deflection.

So do you think Covid-19 isn't serious? Have you been social distancing yourself? Or have you been out these last 3 months without a mask or any precautions? Put your money where your keyboard is.
Asking me or Happiness?

Kenkoko said:
Happiness said:
Mety said:

Remember stuff like: without social distancing half of the population would be dead in two months? ...

You should consider making a change where you get your news from.

Talking to me or happiness?

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Last 200 years of American history is sufficient data

progress has been made in 200 years.  are you saying we are just as racist and brutal as we were in 1820?

irvinehomeowner said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I'm not just dismissing it... what I'm saying is that study is not directly relevant to the subject of policy brutality. It's speaking to fatal shootings that involve police which is usually a difference circumstance than police brutality during traffic stops, arrests etc.

The onus is on you to prove that police brutality, specifically against African Americans in this case, is not an issue. Find that study and we can discuss.

oh the onus is on me, got it.  nice deflection  8)

Kings said:
Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Last 200 years of American history is sufficient data

progress has been made in 200 years.  are you saying we are just as racist and brutal as we were in 1820?

Why do you keep twisting thing? He didn't say look at the data in 1820... he said look at the last 200 years... so even though progress is made... there are still issues that exist.

Again... are you saying they don't? Have we progressed to the point that these protests are unwarranted? C'mon... answer the question. Is police brutality and racism a hoax?

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

oh the onus is on me, got it.  nice deflection  8)

If you don't think it is, that's not a deflection... that's a problem for you and why these protests are happening.

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

The criminal-justice system is racist.

In case there are still people out there who think otherwise, Here is a WAPO article with plenty of studies supporting it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nal-justice-system-is-racist-heres-the-proof/

It has more than 15 studies, including ones done by the department of justice.

white and hispanic people are killed by police too - white people even moreso.  when was the last time people rioted because either of those races were killed by police?

NswttUH.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Kings said:

Stop being intellectually dishonest. Of course there has been progress since 1820. But people are protesting the slow rate of progress. Surely you're smart enough to know that.

Back