Protest, Riot, Curfew

Soylent Green Is People said:
Family friend in Costa Mesa says the word on the street is that there may be protests planned in the South Coast Plaza area.

We will see.

According to their site, they won?t reopen tomorrow...

Someone posted the flyer on Nextdoor.  ?Peaceful Protest? Tomorrow at 8pm in Costa Mesa on the corner of Bear and South Coast Dr.

aquabliss said:
Someone posted the flyer on Nextdoor.  ?Peaceful Protest? Tomorrow at 8pm in Costa Mesa on the corner of Bear and South Coast Dr.

Costa Mesa has an 8 PM curfew. If they wanted a "peaceful" protest, why schedule it for the time the curfew is to start?

SCP not opening tomorrow, so don't bother bringing your wallet there.

All hands on deck. I just saw Santa Barbara County Sheriff Department assisting Santa Monica PD in Santa Monica via CBS News web.

Santa Maria Police were in Long Beach tonight.

FYI in the 1992 riots the National Guard was deployed with just a small number of rounds per squad. There may be 1,000 troops, but my guess is they don't have more than 1-2 live rounds each.

Former Cleveland Cavaliers guard JR Smith is seen in video published by TMZ Sports on Sunday beating up a man who allegedly damaged his truck during the protests in Los Angeles over the death of George Floyd.

Smith is seen kicking the man when he is on the ground and then punching him when he gets up. Then the man runs away. The man broke a window on Smith's vehicle, Smith said in a video posted online.

Smith said he was parked in a residential area and not near any stores where looting took place during the protests.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29248958/jr-smith-beats-man-damaging-truck

Back in 92 when the national guard was initially deployed to staging areas in LA, they were sent there without ammunition.  I'm not sure about today, but after 9/11 even LA Unified School district received 61 M16's, 3 grenade launchers and a MRAV armored vehicle.

If guardsman are deployed with very limited ammunition, I think usually that means only select marksman are issued rifle ammo.  In worse case it wouldn't be too difficult for them to ask LAPD or Turner's/Ammo Bros for ammo.

I was listening to Long Beach police scanner last night and noted that they took special care of Turners in Signal Hill.  Some crazy people kept trying to loot CVS, probably trying to get cold meds to make drugs or something.

The targeting of pharmacies was organized and systematic. That was a conscious effort and it was effective.

what's going to be the reaction when people find out floyd's final autopsy shows he didn't die due to asphyxiation? did you know he was saying "i can't breathe" while he was standing up too? read the statement from the complaint below.

was the officer in the wrong for using a dangerous technique to subdue floyd? yes. is everyone overreacting to a situation where 100% of the facts aren't being presented intentionally? also yes.

if floyd's death was due to a drug overdose, does chauvin walk? that i'm not sure of, but the riots and looting will be even worse - and that's a fact.  i'm curious to find out if there's precedent here where he's cleared if other complications are the cause of death and if the courts break this precedent to convict this guy just to quell the masses.

Officers Kueng and Lane stood Mr. Floyd up and attempted to walk Mr. Floyd to their squad car (MPD 320) at 8:14 p.m. Mr. Floyd stiffened up, fell to the ground, and told the officers he was claustrophobic.

MPD Officers Derek Chauvin (the defendant) and Tou Thoa then arrived in a separate squad car.  The officers made several attempts to get Mr. Floyd in the backseat of squad 320 from the driver?s side.

Mr. Floyd did not voluntarily get in the car and struggled with the officers by intentionally falling down, saying he was not going in the car, and refusing to stand still. Mr. Floyd is over six feet tall and weighs more than 200 pounds.

While standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe. The defendant went to the passenger side and tried to get Mr. Floyd into the car from that side and Lane and Kueng assisted.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner (ME) conducted Mr. Floyd?s autopsy on May 26, 2020. The full report of the ME is pending but the ME has made the following preliminary findings. The autopsy revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation. Mr. Floyd had underlying health conditions including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease. The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6933246/Derek-Chauvin-Complaint.pdf

Soylent Green Is People said:
Had George Floyd not been murdered and sparking these protests, I have long been convinced we would see some kind of protests and violence in July and August due to the collapse of people's personal economy.

I disagree with this.

For the lockdown protests, there is no need for violence because at the core, people understand it was done to protect public health.

Floyd protests would have happened even if there was not coronavirus or lockdowns because that's an issue that has been unnecessarily killing people forever.

It's just sad that it has to escalate to riots and looting... but that's a different element that unfortunately becomes unavoidable depending on who is there and how it's handled.

This doesn't have to happen, there are peaceful protests like in Flint, Michigan where the police chief marched with the crowd. Or where the police join the protests by kneeling on one knee... I wonder how effective that would be in reducing the violence in hot spots like LA.

The protestors should have organized virtual protests. I'm sure Microsoft, Google, Zoom, etc would be happy to provide the infrastructure for free. They protestors can then express their feelings without endangering themselves and everyone else.

Kings said:
what's going to be the reaction when people find out floyd's final autopsy shows he didn't die due to asphyxiation? did you know he was saying "i can't breathe" while he was standing up too? read the statement from the complaint below.

was the officer in the wrong for using a dangerous technique to subdue floyd? yes. is everyone overreacting to a situation where 100% of the facts aren't being presented intentionally? also yes.

if floyd's death was due to a drug overdose, does chauvin walk? that i'm not sure of, but the riots and looting will be even worse - and that's a fact.  i'm curious to find out if there's precedent here where he's cleared if other complications are the cause of death and if the courts break this precedent to convict this guy just to quell the masses.

Officers Kueng and Lane stood Mr. Floyd up and attempted to walk Mr. Floyd to their squad car (MPD 320) at 8:14 p.m. Mr. Floyd stiffened up, fell to the ground, and told the officers he was claustrophobic.

MPD Officers Derek Chauvin (the defendant) and Tou Thoa then arrived in a separate squad car.  The officers made several attempts to get Mr. Floyd in the backseat of squad 320 from the driver?s side.

Mr. Floyd did not voluntarily get in the car and struggled with the officers by intentionally falling down, saying he was not going in the car, and refusing to stand still. Mr. Floyd is over six feet tall and weighs more than 200 pounds.

While standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe. The defendant went to the passenger side and tried to get Mr. Floyd into the car from that side and Lane and Kueng assisted.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner (ME) conducted Mr. Floyd?s autopsy on May 26, 2020. The full report of the ME is pending but the ME has made the following preliminary findings. The autopsy revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation. Mr. Floyd had underlying health conditions including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease. The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6933246/Derek-Chauvin-Complaint.pdf

Does this change that police brutality is an issue that needs to be addressed? While rioting/looting is an overreaction, that doesn't make what is being protested any less valid.

irvinehomeowner said:
For the lockdown protests, there is no need for violence because at the core, people understand it was done to protect public health.

Floyd protests would have happened even if there was not coronavirus or lockdowns because that's an issue that has been unnecessarily killing people forever.

I was watching kcal9 news late last night and one of their reporters on the scene interviewed a protestor and the protestor said he was out protesting because of the Floyd killing AND because he had been cooped up in his house for weeks.

Our country is totally fractured and, with our weak leadership in Washington, you can expect Ferguson type riots and looting in other places

Guess who previously tweeted that? Trump
I guess that mean he has really weak leadership.

irvinehomeowner said:
Does this change that police brutality is an issue that needs to be addressed? While rioting/looting is an overreaction, that doesn't make what is being protested any less valid.

people are protesting the belief that there is systemic racism in the policing community

the data does not support this argument:

Officer characteristics and racial disparities in fatal officer-involved shootings

Significance
There is widespread concern about racial disparities in fatal officer-involved shootings and that these disparities reflect discrimination by White officers. Existing databases of fatal shootings lack information about officers, and past analytic approaches have made it difficult to assess the contributions of factors like crime. We create a comprehensive database of officers involved in fatal shootings during 2015 and predict victim race from civilian, officer, and county characteristics. We find no evidence of anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparities across shootings, and White officers are not more likely to shoot minority civilians than non-White officers. Instead, race-specific crime strongly predicts civilian race. This suggests that increasing diversity among officers by itself is unlikely to reduce racial disparity in police shootings.

Discussion
Concerns that White officers might disproportionately fatally shoot racial minorities can have powerful effects on police legitimacy (31). By using a comprehensive database of FOIS during 2015, officer race, sex, or experience did not predict the race of a person fatally shot beyond relationships explained by county demographics. On the other hand, race-specific violent crime strongly predicted the race of a civilian fatally shot by police, explaining over 40% of the variance in civilian race. These results bolster claims to take into account violent crime rates when examining fatal police shootings (20).

We did not find evidence for anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparity in police use of force across all shootings, and, if anything, found anti-White disparities when controlling for race-specific crime. While racial disparity did vary by type of shooting, no one type of shooting showed significant anti-Black or -Hispanic disparity. The uncertainty around these estimates highlights the need for more data before drawing conclusions about disparities in specific types of shootings.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I was watching kcal9 news late last night and one of their reporters on the scene interviewed a protestor and the protestor said he was out protesting because of the Floyd killing AND because he had been cooped up in his house for weeks.

Another post that does not make sense by Happy.
And you believe that person? Only a low life would loot.
That argument that they are stuck at home forced them to protest and loot is flawed.

Back