Protest, Riot, Curfew

Guardian Article: Mr President, don?t go hide: China goads US over George Floyd protests

Chinese officials and state media have seized on news of the protests sweeping the US, comparing the widespread unrest to the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong and accusing Washington of hypocrisy.

Mass protests spread across multiple US states over the weekend, many escalating after police responded with teargas, pepper balls and other projectiles, and in some instances using vehicles to ram protesters. Some cities have seen arson and looting, and across the nation police have been criticised for using excessive force.

The protests were sparked by the death of George Floyd, an African American man killed by a white police officer in Minneapolis.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ide-china-goads-us-over-george-floyd-protests

Omg. The US is getting trolled by China over the protest.

Soylent Yellow works in an area with a 1:00 PM curfew and had to bail out early. Glad, because it's likely going to be a long evening had people been allowed to stay.

momopi said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So conversely, how Kings asked why some of us weren't concerned about Covid spread with all these protests (which I actually was)... why aren't the anti-lockdown "cheerleaders" complaining about the curfews?

Surely these forced closings of businesses and requiring people to stay home is bad for the economy and taking away freedoms.

:)

I think the stay-home-order and a planned curfews are different.

The lockdown without knowing how long or any details on it is pretty frustrating for everyone and it's wholly based on an uncertain disease called C-19 in this case. This one is very uncertain for every aspect.

The curfew is usually for like 8pm-5am kind of a thing for a day or two. It's also clearly to protect human lives from being harmed of robbery and looting in this case. There is no uncertainty on this at all.
https://www.dailynews.com/2020/06/0...or-these-southern-california-cities-counties/

These Southern California cities and counties will have curfews in place for Monday night, June 1, following unrest across the country after the death of George Floyd, who died in police custody in Minneapolis.

Los Angeles County

LA County: From 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. until further notice
Beverly Hills: 4 p.m. A 1 p.m. curfew will go into effect in the city?s business district.
Long Beach: 4 p.m. A 1 p.m. curfew will go into effect in the city?s business district. (* See note)
Santa Monica: 4 p.m. A 1 p.m. curfew will go into effect in the city?s business district.

The county order supersedes individual city curfews that were to go into effect later than 6 p.m.

Orange County

Anaheim: From 6 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. Tuesday
Costa Mesa: From 7 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Huntington Beach: From 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. until further notice.

Riverside County

Riverside County: From 6 p.m. until 6 a.m. Tuesday
Riverside: From 7 p.m. until 6 a.m. Tuesday.
The county order supersedes individual city curfews that were to go into effect later than 6 p.m.

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino: 6 p.m. to sunrise Tuesday
Fontana: 6 p.m. to sunrise until further notice.

* Note:
The time format indicates curfew that starts at 1PM for business districts and 4PM for city wide.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/lo...-day-of-tense-protests-clashes-in-long-beach/

National Guard troops remain in Long Beach Monday as local officials announced another day of curfew starting 1 p.m. for business districts and 4 p.m. citywide?an order stricter than L.A. County?s 6 p.m. curfew.

The earlier business curfew in Long Beach affects:

Belmont Shore and Naples
Bixby Knolls
Downtown Long Beach
Downtown Long Beach
East Anaheim
Fourth Street
Long Beach Airport
Magnolia Industrial Group
Midtown
Uptown
The Pike
Long Beach Towne Center
Douglas Park Business District
2ND & PCH

The order expires 5 a.m. Tuesday.

Mayor Robert Garcia proclaimed Monday?s curfew at a news conference a day after largely peaceful protests against police violence were disrupted by fires and looters who targeted retailers at the Pike Outlets in the downtown area.

Authorities said they had expected an organized protest in front of police headquarters in downtown but crowds grew quicker than expected Sunday afternoon, prompting police to call for assistance from surrounding law enforcement agencies and the National Guard.

I believe the protests are fine as long as it's something like marching or something not as violent. We have freedom to express. But it's getting pretty odd. These protests are to express their opinion against violence and yet they are using violence to achieve their means.

Those who are looting and beating up random people are completely for different purposes. It could be that they even enjoy doing these things. And when the police tries to arrest them, the media will show how violent and racists cops are. Very odd, isn't it?

Another odd fact. There are so many non-white cops. If cops are all racist, do white cops beat up non-white cops also?

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So conversely, how Kings asked why some of us weren't concerned about Covid spread with all these protests (which I actually was)... why aren't the anti-lockdown "cheerleaders" complaining about the curfews?

Surely these forced closings of businesses and requiring people to stay home is bad for the economy and taking away freedoms.

The lockdown without knowing how long or any details on it is pretty frustrating for everyone and it's wholly based on an uncertain disease called C-19 in this case. This one is very uncertain for every aspect.

The curfew is usually for like 8pm-5am kind of a thing for a day or two. It's also clearly to protect human lives from being harmed of robbery and looting in this case. There is no uncertainty on this at all.

While I posted that in jest to respond to Kings, I would posit that curfews are worse. You can't even go outside for a walk (even if you wear a mask... which could get you in more trouble 😐 ), you can't pick up food because they are all closed, they close roads/freeways... and some curfews start at 1pm.

And, some now are indefinite and you don't even get advanced notice.

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

While I posted that in jest to respond to Kings, I would posit that curfews are worse. You can't even go outside for a walk (even if you wear a mask... which could get you in more trouble 😐 ), you can't pick up food because they are all closed, they close roads/freeways... and some curfews start at 1pm.

And, some now are indefinite and you don't even get advanced notice.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I believe demanding to close down or limit businesses with unknown days, months or even years of future which has caused the historic unemployment rating in our country is a lot worse than a few days of curfew of physically protecting citizens. But everyone can look at it from different perspectives so I can see yours also.

And you also have to account for why there are curfews in place, because people's businesses are getting looted and there is violence in the streets.

I would much rather deal with a lockdown than a curfew where I live... or own a business.

irvinehomeowner said:
And you also have to account for why there are curfews in place, because people's businesses are getting looted and there is violence in the streets.

I would much rather deal with a lockdown than a curfew where I live... or own a business.

Yes, that I agree with you.

Now that I think about it, isn't it weird that we're somehow having no choice but to stay home?

Protest away...super effective. ask all the millions who participated in the ?pink p hat? protests and so called ?women?s marches?or the David Hogg ?March of our lives? protests and walkouts for gun control, those massive protests changed....NOTHING. But, if you need something to do with your time, by all means..just don?t loot on your way out. >:D

OOPS!  look like someone owe's the discussion an apology....

Kings said:
what's going to be the reaction when people find out floyd's final autopsy shows he didn't die due to asphyxiation?

So I'm not understanding this argument that the curfews and how early they are in effect are impinging on rights to protest.

Public safety has priority and if not for these curfews, we would probably see more rioting and looting.

The protesters say that most of the protests have not involved rioting/looting... so why punish them? Do they not understand that they are trying to keep it that way?

Soylent Yellow (and others....) OMG we have to send money to bail out these Rioters Protestors....

Me: Why not let the Justice System figure out who the rioters are and who was arrested in error?

Soylent Yellow (and others) BUT BLACK LIVES MATTER!

Me: Um... not an answer, but OK. Here's a list of Black Owned Restaurants and small businesses. How about you direct some of your money to these folks who are in real pain rather than rolling the dice and letting potential anarchists out of jail? I've been to several of these places and...?.

Soylent Yellow (and others) BLACK LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is no longer about justice for George Floyd. This is not about Police Brutality or Racial Disparity. It's now all about how Virtuous your Signal is and little else.

PS - If any readers need a list of Black Owned Restaurants, the LA Times is maintaining a list.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2020-05-31/black-owned-restaurants-in-los-angeles

Also:

https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/black-owned-businesses-los-angeles/

Some businesses have websites and can overnight things you buy from them.

My .02c

Dang, Spectrum Target already closed, Jamboree Target also closed, Crossroads Target closed... now I have to go all the way to the District... and they close at 7pm.

These curfews are WORSE than a lockdown! :)

Looks like some a-holes wrecked through Cambodia Town in Long Beach.  Lo and behold...  they went straight for the pharmacy.
https://cne.wtf/2020/06/02/appeal-after-cambodia-town-long-beach-hit-by-looting/

1-1.png

1-6.jpg

4-1.jpg

freedomcm said:
OOPS!  look like someone owe's the discussion an apology....

Kings said:
what's going to be the reaction when people find out floyd's final autopsy shows he didn't die due to asphyxiation?

i wouldn't do an endzone dance yet

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner released a new autopsy report Monday, ruling George Floyd's death was a homicide. The office said Floyd's heart and lungs stopped functioning "while being restrained" by law enforcement officers.

Floyd died due to "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restrain, and neck compression," according to the report.

It also specified "other significant conditions," including fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use as well as existing heart disease.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/01/867219130/george-floyd-independent-autopsy-homicide-by-asphyxia

cardiopulmonary arrest means your heart stops.  lots of things can make your heart stop, including fentanyl overdose with recent meth use and heart disease.

did chauvin contribute to his heart stopping? he sure did.  but asphyxiation may not be the actual cause of death considering the other factors.  again, original autopsy showed no physical findings that supported the case for asphyxiation.

upping the charges to second degree murder is a risk - trying to appease the masses calling for first degree (completely unfounded - chauvin didn't wake up that morning and decide he was going to murder floyd, especially since he was responding to a call while on duty).  second degree will require prosecutors to prove he intended to inflict bodily harm...which is possible, however minnesota law specifically allows police officers unconscious neck restraint (with arm or leg) whereby, "the subject is placed in a neck restraint with the intention of rendering the person unconscious by applying adequate pressure"

is there a reality where this guy gets off in court due to the increase in charge?

Soylent Green Is People said:
Soylent Yellow (and others....) OMG we have to send money to bail out these Rioters Protestors....

Me: Why not let the Justice System figure out who the rioters are and who was arrested in error?

Soylent Yellow (and others) BUT BLACK LIVES MATTER!

Me: Um... not an answer, but OK. Here's a list of Black Owned Restaurants and small businesses. How about you direct some of your money to these folks who are in real pain rather than rolling the dice and letting potential anarchists out of jail? I've been to several of these places and...?.

Soylent Yellow (and others) BLACK LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is no longer about justice for George Floyd. This is not about Police Brutality or Racial Disparity. It's now all about how Virtuous your Signal is and little else.

PS - If any readers need a list of Black Owned Restaurants, the LA Times is maintaining a list.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2020-05-31/black-owned-restaurants-in-los-angeles

Also:

https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/black-owned-businesses-los-angeles/

Some businesses have websites and can overnight things you buy from them.

My .02c

unfortunately, many of the actual rioters/looters will be released without any charges because of the fact that prosecutors will require essential evidence from police, which is almost impossible to keep track of on an individual case-by-case basis.  it's a sad state, but many of these people are right back on the street to do it again and again.

Dozens arrested for looting, rioting in St. Louis have been released from jail

Police confirmed that the 36 people arrested Sunday and Monday night for rioting and looting have all been released from custody.

Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt blames Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner. Gardner?s office said they still need essential evidence from police.

Schmitt tweeted about alleged looters and rioters being released from jail without charges being filed.

https://www.kmov.com/news/dozens-arrested-for-looting-rioting-in-st-louis-have-been-released-from-jail/article_03b7fa9a-a5be-11ea-b8ae-fb15756c0a9d.html

this is going to get interesting, folks

full autopsy has been released and this guy was pumped full of drugs:

- 11 ng/ml fentanyl (deaths reported as little as 0.75 ng/ml, avg. being 9.96)
- methamphetamine
- morphine
- thc
- cotinine (nicotine)
- caffeine

previous covid-19 positive, along with:

- 90% blocked right coronary artery
- 75% blocked left coronary artery
- severe hypertension
- extreme sickle cell anemia

and finding no injuries to the anterior muscles of neck or laryngeal structures

https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hennepinus/residents/public-safety/documents/Autopsy_2020-3700_Floyd.pdf

i think the prosecutors may have shot themselves in the foot charging murder 2 on this one.  if a suspect dies in police custody, what's the ruling?  how does the prosecution prove floyd died from asphyxiation when he was saying he can't breathe while he was standing up and there are other factors at play?

Back