Pedestrian Bridge over Jeffrey Open Space Trail??

The complete name is Vierendeel- Warren bridge. Vierendeel invented the box type of bridge. Warren adapted the triangular truss with struts members in compression and tension. Hobo bridge is just as good.

wrigley said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Just incase you want to impress your friends since living in Irvine supposedly set you all apart as the smart ones. This ghetto bridge is called a Vierendeel bridge.

I thought the type of bridge you mentioned doesn't have triangles?

Police+Officers+Memorial.jpg

Great image test but replaces the romance of crossing over the water with a road, the distant sunset with flying seagulls after a hefty meal at Frank Bowerman buffet, and the nice trees with windows of homes from Stonegate.

I might be in the minority but I like these bridges and overpasses.

Makes Irvine more "walkable" (<-- isn't that what most of you complain about?).

They should put them everywhere... so Irvine looks like a giant Candy Crush map.

LOL... well if they designed the bridges like that then yes.. it would be nice.  I'm good with it.. just want to see what the finished product looks like.  They are planning to build on for all of the GP neighborhoods so it's much safer for the kids to walk/ride bikes. 

Why didn't they just make a tunnel under the road like they have in other parts of Irvine and do no bridge? Not willing to fork over the $$$, want to be as cheap as possible? There is a bridge in Woodbridge going from the Ruby's area to across the street. That is not an eyesore.

SoCal said:
Why didn't they just make a tunnel under the road like they have in other parts of Irvine and do no bridge? Not willing to fork over the $$$, want to be as cheap as possible?
You answered your own question. :)

If those weren't trains running through Culver/Jeffrey/Sand Canyon, I'm sure City of Irvine would have made those bridges instead of underpasses.

SoCal said:
Why didn't they just make a tunnel under the road like they have in other parts of Irvine and do no bridge? Not willing to fork over the $$$, want to be as cheap as possible? There is a bridge in Woodbridge going from the Ruby's area to across the street. That is not an eyesore.

I believe almost all the pedestrian tunnels in Northern Irvine predate the homes. The agricultural firms used the tunnels to move farm equipment between fields without having to cross over the roads.

First bridge fatality already? Somebody keep an eye on OC Register for me.

When Mr. SoCal was driving home from work last night, he was at the intersection with the bridge and noticed a motorcyclist who was in an accident. A cop and a construction worker were standing next to him near the side of the road, not responding to injuries. The guy was motionless, laying on his side, but somehow still attached to his bike.  :-\ Sad, let's pray for the best.

Does anyone have any idea what these bridges will ultimately look like when it is finally all done?

Back