Pedestrian Bridge over Jeffrey Open Space Trail??

^ do you mind sharing your source of this information? there's a bike event on the 29th and I will have to inform the organizers of this situation

thanks

Just saw the delivered bridge at Trabuco Rd today and it looks like an old, railway style, straight bridge. It was a just frame so I can't tell what final shape looks like but frame itself was not aesthetic like Oak Creek one. Hope IP turns it into a nice well-decorated shape.

Fixed it for you.

2cfz89l.jpg

Now that they are "up," they look out of place, like a temporary structure.  Can't believe how ugly they are.  Ruins the look of the JOST. 

fumbling said:
Now that they are "up," they look out of place, like a temporary structure.  Can't believe how ugly they are.  Ruins the look of the JOST.

I'm sure once Irvine will find a way to make them more eye pleasing :)

fumbling said:

The bridge is still work in progress.  I wouldn't probably judge until the final touches and details are done and project is complete. 

I think they look fine... and regardless, the function they provide is a big plus for that area.

Here is the one over Roosevelt (the others look similar):

w9bgn5.jpg

I'm actually impressed they are doing this to make JOST seamless and to provide a way for the separate communities to connect to each other.

I don't think this was in their initial plans when they built Woodbury and to do this (which isn't cheap) is a nice benefit for the residents of all the villages these are connected to.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm actually impressed they are doing this to make JOST seamless and to provide a way for the separate communities to connect to each other.

I don't think this was in their initial plans when they built Woodbury and to do this (which isn't cheap) is a nice benefit for the residents of all the villages these are connected to.

TIC has touted Jeffrey Trail for awhile...I remember it was discussed when Woodbury opened. 

Irvinecommuter said:
TIC has touted Jeffrey Trail for awhile...I remember it was discussed when Woodbury opened. 
The Trail yes, but not the pedestrian bridges.

Woodbury was planned before CV and Stonegate. They had already landscaped the corners of Trabuco, Bryan and Irvine Blvd a while ago and had to regrade them in order to build up the ramps for the bridges.

Originally, the plan was to have the middle school within Woodbury but that changed when the 2010 Collection replaced that site with homes. So they needed to build a walkway ala Oak Creek to connect Woodbury to the new location and I think they probably just ran with it and decided to connect the entire JOST Europe/Las Vegas style.

P.S. This is just my conjecture but considering no other areas has this type of pedestrian bridge system, it sounds plausible.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
The Trail yes, but not the pedestrian bridges.

Woodbury was planned before CV and Stonegate. They had already landscaped the corners of Trabuco, Bryan and Irvine Blvd a while ago and had to regrade them in order to build up the ramps for the bridges.

Originally, the plan was to have the middle school within Woodbury but that changed when the 2010 Collection replaced that site with homes. So they needed to build a walkway ala Oak Creek to connect Woodbury to the new location and I think they probably just ran with it and decided to connect the entire JOST Europe/Las Vegas style.

P.S. This is just my conjecture but considering no other areas has this type of pedestrian bridge system, it sounds plausible.

But wasn't the whole point of JOST to allow people from Irvine to go all the Newport Beach via walking or biking?  It would make sense that you need some sort of pedestrian bridge to cross the various major streets.

If you click on the .pdf file in this link...the initial proposal seems to have been underpasses.  The .pdf go back to 2003. 
http://www.cityofirvine.org/cityhall/cs/openspace/jost.asp

Ahh... so it was underpasses... much like they do in the other bike trails around Irvine.

I guess they changed it to overpasses, not sure which one costs more but I think the overpasses are easier to implement without affecting existing infrastructure and traffic too much.

Visually, the underpasses are more "invisible" but as a walking path, the overpasses are probably safer and has more of a "view".

Regardless, I like them. Actually wish they had them in more of the villages.

I like it.. but I feel like they'll need to give it some color and decorations.. a bit of an eye sore if they leave it just like that.  I can't imagine Irvine Company would just leave it.

They probably (I hope) would give some decorative stonework to cover those gray concrete surface and add plantation, coloration/wood, and other decorative touches to cover some of the rusty steel look on the side rails and frames.

Back