Orchard Hills - Capella by Taylor Morrison

Now the plan 1 pricing is supposedly to start at $1.3m which they still believe is "low" $1M.  It changed from between $1.1M to $1.2M from what they estimated a month ago.

Looks like the "first 30 pre-qual" limit was met within the first week of applications (week of 3/24).  Those folks will get first looks on May 3, and the general release will begin on May 31.  There was a *hint* at other private showings, but I can't confirm.  If anyone gets pricing data (base pricing, mello roos, tax rate, etc.) prior to that date, please share.  ;D

TMHF (Taylor Morrison Home Funding) has been a drag to work with, maybe others have had a better experience.  It looks like 2 guys manage financing for all of the TM buildouts in SoCal.  I finally got a verbal pre-qual, but only after they've "misplaced" my financial docs twice.

The sales contact (Shari Fobel) for Capella has been non-responsive as well.  Anyone else have luck contacting her?

I drove by the models last week, and at first glance, they look quite nice.  Construction was still ongoing, and they still have to finish landscaping, paving, parking lot, etc.  Everything is still dirt path.  Sorry, I wasn't able to sneak in any pics.  :(

Just throwing in my 2 cents...hoping for the best.

irvinehomeowner said:
My experience with TMHF was actually opposite of gasman's. We got preapproved the next day.

Thanks IHO...I'll keep this in mind as we move forward.  It could be a simple communication mishap.  Are you visiting Capella this weekend?

irvinehomeowner said:
My experience with TMHF was actually opposite of gasman's. We got preapproved the next day.

So IHO - what does this mean? you buying at orchard hills?

gasman said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Thanks IHO...I'll keep this in mind as we move forward.  It could be a simple communication mishap.  Are you visiting Capella this weekend?
I thought Capella visits were cancelled this weekend

Irvine Dream said:

I wouldn't be surprised.  The model construction didn't seem very close to complete, at least on the outside (landscaping, roads, parking, sidewalk, etc.).  Can anyone confirm?

On a side note, I found 2 units of each floorplan listed on their website...6 units total, possibly for phase 1?  I can't tell what plot number these map to on the site plan, but have a look at the asking price.  Gee, wonder what demographic they're targeting there...  ::)

Attachments

• capella phase 1.jpg
    capella phase 1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 419
Oops...just got an email from TMHF...the VIP tours this weekend are indeed canceled.  Expect it to happen approx. 5/19.

gasman said:
Irvine Dream said:

I wouldn't be surprised.  The model construction didn't seem very close to complete, at least on the outside (landscaping, roads, parking, sidewalk, etc.).  Can anyone confirm?

On a side note, I found 2 units of each floorplan listed on their website...6 units total, possibly for phase 1?  I can't tell what plot number these map to on the site plan, but have a look at the asking price.  Gee, wonder what demographic they're targeting there...  ::)

My guess is Lots 1, 2, 3, 46, 45, and 44.  I also think the address 155 should be 105.

Irvine Dream said:
My guess is Lots 1, 2, 3, 46, 45, and 44.  I also think the address 155 should be 105.

I'm pretty sure 1, 2, 3 are the models.  When I drove by last week, those were the only structures up, and they were closest to Settlers.

My best guess would be 44, 45, 46, 70, 71, 72.  You're probably right on 155 -> 105.  Nice catch.  :D

Attachments

• capella phase 1 site plan.jpg
    capella phase 1 site plan.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 347
gasman said:
Oops...just got an email from TMHF...the VIP tours this weekend are indeed canceled.  Expect it to happen approx. 5/19.

Did they say why?  Waiting for suckers to pick up Quinterra standing inventory?  Don't want grand opening with brush fires on Loma Ridge? 

And curiously... what made you consider here over other homes in Irvine? 

ps9 said:
Did they say why?  Waiting for suckers to pick up Quinterra standing inventory?  Don't want grand opening with brush fires on Loma Ridge? 

And curiously... what made you consider here over other homes in Irvine?

Hey PS9...no, they did not say why, but I would either suspect (1) the models aren't ready due to construction delays, or (2) the brush fires.  There doesn't seem to be any shortage of pre-qualified interest per TMHF, so I wouldn't consider Quinterra to be a factor.  I did visit Quinterra to look at the Residence 1 floor plan (basically identical to Capella), and liked what I saw.  I'm not so keen on paying a severe premium for a Groves location, but I guess we'll see what that premium looks like in the coming weeks.

We've been looking all over Irvine, so OH is just next on the list.  I've got Strada on my radar, but their floor plans are uninspiring, and I suspect the pricing will be inflated.  We've run through all our options at CV, and gave Mulberry a good hard look.  In the end, the lot size and setback were too much to handle (or is "not enough" more accurate?).  PS is a big fat NO, but Quinterra was useful in understanding the TM approach to homebuilding for Capella.  At SG, we looked at Mendocino but it was underwhelming, and Arcadia (Tri-Pointe) is still in the mix.  They're supposed to kick off the other half of their units this month, so I'll be keeping an eye on those.  My wife and I really took a liking to Tri-Pointe's approach to homebuilding.  At PP, we are on the list for Sagewood (Shea) so that's a viable option at the moment (Phase 9-11).  Obviously their 3CG (no "W") and 5500+sf lot sizes are the draw.  I'm trying to track down details on the apartments TIC is building between PP and 133, as Sagewood is on the border...not sure how this will factor in.

Anyway, VERY long answer to a VERY short question.  I'm sure this can spawn an entire thread on its own.  Have I done my homework?  Or am I missing something?

(please don't say "resale"...we've been looking for months and it's just not happening...)

Lastly...I've been a lurker for a few weeks, and just started posting yesterday.  It's been quite an experience reading all y'all's posts.  ;D

You know.. all this time I thought you were OCgasman..... but anyways, welcome and thanks for sharing. keep us informed on Capella, I bowed out of the Groves due to Orchard Hills school not having kindergarten for a few more years, if that has changed then you better not let me know!

I still think PP has the most bang for the buck in new builds.

Resale is there... you just have to be patient (and not as particular as I am).

IHO, Pluto, points well taken, and I'm in total agreement.  Harmony is probably out of my range (which means so is Capella), but Sagewood is something we are actively pursuing.  I'm just doing my due diligence with the apartments that are springing up between PP and 133, as they are adjacent to the remaining plots.

I was hoping Capella would be closer in pricing to Quinterra, but that hope is fading by the hour.  :'(

Also learned that the next buildout at Great Park (SW of PP) won't happen until 2016...bummer.

Back